OnX vs GoHunt?

Dusty

Lil-Rokslider
something I’ll add: if you are using GH, it will not download offline maps in the background. Meaning if the phone sleeps or you navigate away from the app during the download, it will stop downloading, and it is supposed to just pause the download, but in my experience, you have to start the download over from the beginning. This has burned me in the past (luckily I had Gaia and OnX loaded with my data as well so it wasn’t the end of the world). Not sure about OnX, but it seems to download each map quick enough that it isn’t an issue… maybe I should make my maps smaller… nah!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m a paper maps guy but started using OnX in 2021. It’s a handy tool, but still doesn’t replace my unit ESRI printed maps.

My buddy showed me the GOhunt maps. Not as intuitive for me as the OnX.

We also use OnX off-road in addition to paper maps for the last couple years. Been very handy to have it up on the tablet in the jeep.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Reviving this discussion...... I just opened up my Gohunt app for some e-scouting for a NM muzzy hunt later this month. After a few minutes I realized that once again the app has deleted all of my downloaded maps. They were all present for my September hunt. I've now reached my breaking point since this is at least the third time this has happened with no replies from Gohunt to my queries about their ongoing software issues. Hello OnX.....

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
An unexpectedly quick update: I have already received a reply from Gohunt regarding my complaint. This is nearly the extent of the good news. An update to the app did nothing to change the situation. He indicated that maps can expire over extended periods of time, though my October 2, 2023 map download was also adversely affected. Now the diagnosis is being aimed at my old app version (last updated over the summer I think?) or my phone itself (iphone XR with over 20GB of memory available).

Has anyone here experienced similar issues with Gohunt maps going from downloaded to not-so-much?

The implication seems to be that their maps can disappear within 9 days because of "unknown" reasons.

Had onx. Switched to Gohunt. Didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Back at onx and I forgot how much I liked it

I have not had an issue with downloaded maps disappearing in GoHunt. Only time I have seen it is when I moved to a new phone and that makes perfect sense. I am using an iPhone 14Pro and moved to the 15Pro so it is not the same phone. I also keep the app up to date. I could see a major app update cause an issue. I have had OnX show update available on a downloaded map and not let me use it. I could not update it in the field so it was useless.

this may be a popular or unpopular opinion but here's my take on it based on what I've used ( OnX, GoHunt, BaseMaps, Spartan Forge)

so far OnX wins hands down . plain and simple.

I used base maps most of the 2022 season and it worked phenomenal , however my bigest gripe was not the maps themselves cuz the maps are actually pretty nice on base maps. my gripe was how annoying it was to drop pins. and go through jumping through hoops to place a pin and move on. grinded my gears. but over all the price is right on base maps and its a stellar option if you can get past the little things. at $34.99 a year I keep it as a back up.

spartan forge, I used it on one scouting trip in the Midwest and that was the end of the road for me. my biggest concern is that when pairing this up with another map you could easily cross boundaries and not know it with spartan forge as some of the public lands are not properly marked or match the public lands on the other 3 applications. i know that they are working on this but this is just my experience when it comes to that. so it was a immediate no from me.

GoHunt. man this one I was excited for , I've been a insider for years and was excited to get all my insider benefits plus a app along with it for mapping, I used this mapping almost all summer 2023 and was pretty happy with it. it has some tweaks to be made on it for sure but over all an awesome interface. Right around July they pushed an update for the app, and everything went downhill from there for me. i reached out to tech support multiple times and they compensated me appropriately. but there were times when i would be out and about and my layers would be working just fine, and then id put my phone away and a hour later or so pull it out and none of my layers would show up none of my pins etc. etc. the gohunt team was very helpful and gave some good advice but I expressed my opinion on some of the advice, especially pertaining to uninstalling and reinstalling the app to fix my issue. if i had to do that in the field with no service, and no back up active mapping system. id be screwed. even though the gohunt app has been great and frustrating all at once. I'm going to continue to be a insider member, so ill have the mapping regardless. and periodically check back in and see what features are added or what has been improved on.

OnX , I used OnX for about 4 years back when it was like $40 a year for the pro . and went away from the platform when they increased their prices, mostly because they didn't have the features to justify the price point that they had at the time. so I switched to BaseMaps, which I still think for the price base maps is the best bang for your buck. if you can handle the pain in the rear dropping a pin is. However, i stayed away from OnX for 4-5 years roughly . and decided on the fathers day promo to give it a go again and see if any features had changed, and to see if it was worth my dollar. I was pleasantly taken back when i saw that the entire interface was new compared to what I was using , and adding and removing layers was fairly straight forward and simple. their offline mapping became more streamlined, and they added 3D maps which I love having that feature on my handheld device. overall i thought for the price it was well worth the cost. but based on my prior experiences with other brands i had to test how reliable in the field it is. since base maps was the only one that performed flawless in the field everytime so far. OnX didnt skip a beat and worked phenomenal in the field, and i even ten to over save and download offline maps. and tend to have alot of layers and pins active at one time. OnX ran flawless. it is bacK to being my go to mapping system with basemaps as the backup and Gohunt if i want to look at some other times of year for the same area .