OnX track, what am I doing wrong?

Maybe @onX Hunt will answer but happy with any other replies as well.

So when I start a track with OnX it tracks me all over the place, track works and looks great the whole time it's running. At the end of the day if I decide to save the track, it transforms from a nice detailed track of everywhere I went into an ugly set of single point marks with straight lines into them. So it looks like I've teleported straight between dots instead of zigzagging or whatever, if that makes sense.

tom338

FNG
New to you??? I can't help. Mine works fine but if its a new unit maybe something wrong with it.

OP
ScreamingPotato
New to you??? I can't help. Mine works fine but if its a new unit maybe something wrong with it.

Now that you mention it, I did notice it recently after changing phones (Pixel 6 if it matters). I want to say it's happened last year also though with my old phone and I just thought it was due to my battery saving putting the GPS to sleep when the screen was off, that was immediately apparent though and never had a good track. This only happens after I save the track.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I think what you are seeing there is the track display being simplified once it is saved. Since tracks are such a data heavy markup, we sometimes see performance degradation on accounts with large amounts of saved tracks. In an attempt to mitigate that, the app simplifies your track once it is saved, however, if you tap on the track, you should see the true detail return. If you can send over a screenshot of how the track looks normally, and then one of what the tracks looks like after you tap on it, I'll be better able to tell if it is being simplified, or if there is something else going on there.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I think what you are seeing there is the track display being simplified once it is saved. Since tracks are such a data heavy markup, we sometimes see performance degradation on accounts with large amounts of saved tracks. In an attempt to mitigate that, the app simplifies your track once it is saved, however, if you tap on the track, you should see the true detail return. If you can send over a screenshot of how the track looks normally, and then one of what the tracks looks like after you tap on it, I'll be better able to tell if it is being simplified, or if there is something else going on there.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I deleted that track because it was useless, needed it to find some really tight brush entries after dark, worked great... until I saved it later after getting out. I'll have to make another test track and try it.
Actually I found an older track with the same issue. Screenshot of the track and then screenshot of the track selected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309-141303.png
    Screenshot_20230309-141303.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20230309-141327.png
    Screenshot_20230309-141327.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35

BBob

WKR
Where do you put your phone while tracking? It can make a difference especially in the thick or under a canopy of large pines. I put mine in the top pocket of my pack for best results. Put it in your pants pocket and many times not so good. I've tested both and seem to get much better results up top. We've also done this side by side with mine in the top of pack and buddy's in his pocket. Night and day. Could be the difference in phones in that instance but I'm betting on better look at the sky in top of pack.

OP
ScreamingPotato
Where do you put your phone while tracking? It can make a difference especially in the thick or under a canopy of large pines. I put mine in the top pocket of my pack for best results. Put it in your pants pocket and many times not so good. I've tested both and seem to get much better results up top. We've also done this side by side with mine in the top of pack and buddy's in his pocket. Night and day. Could be the difference in phones in that instance but I'm betting on better look at the sky in top of pack.
Pants pocket, and yeah I agree for best accuracy if it's really important I'll just hold the phone in my hands. However in this case the track was beautiful, until I saved it. It was like waking up in the morning with the girl from the bar the night before, we don't want to save those. lol

OP
ScreamingPotato
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I deleted that track because it was useless, needed it to find some really tight brush entries after dark, worked great... until I saved it later after getting out. I'll have to make another test track and try it.
Actually I found an older track with the same issue. Screenshot of the track and then screenshot of the track selected.
So just to follow up on this and get confirmation, this is simply the display and if following a track I'll always need to highlight that track to activate it? There's no setting I can change that will show them correctly?

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
So just to follow up on this and get confirmation, this is simply the display and if following a track I'll always need to highlight that track to activate it? There's no setting I can change that will show them correctly?
There's no setting you can change on your end. For the time being, you will need to tap on any track that has been simplified in order to see the more detailed version.