OnX hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t know if people are taking this as you implying the thread was locked?

I just checked with our mods who are on tonight, and we never locked it

And yes, onX is a sponsor, helping to host your discussion

But if it’s a civil debate, we’re not gonna lock it so I would like to correct those that assumed we did.

OP, If I’m wrong and it was locked, let me know.
I can confirm, it was locked prior to anybody responding.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I don’t know if people are taking this as you implying the thread was locked?

I just checked with our mods who are on tonight, and we never locked it

And yes, onX is a sponsor, helping to host your discussion

But if it’s a civil debate, we’re not gonna lock it so I would like to correct those that assumed we did.

OP, If I’m wrong and it was locked, let me know.
Yes the thread was locked for awhile.
Talk to @realunlucky

I’m curious to see where we are in 20 years.
I’ll bet the industry will be shit.I’m sad for my kids and future grandkids.Sure hope this fourm stays strong in its values.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I’m curious to see where we are in 20 years.
I’ll bet the industry will be shit.I’m sad for my kids and future grandkids.Sure hope this fourm stays strong in its values.
This is my greatest concern and why I think somethings got to change

Time to flood all our maps with bullshit honey holes.

You want my information... I'll give ya 20+ 400" bulls bedding areas in a zone that's never seen a 370.

Honestly though, there's enough bad hunters out there that it would be a massive undertaking to weed out all the dumb spots people waypoint to get to the good stuff, which is pretty much already known anyway.

Spoonbill

WKR
If any of this is true, he will have his day in court.

Kind of violating monopoly laws...
Unless Onx is actively manipulating the market and driving out, buying up all its competitors, they are not violating monopoly laws. At most there would be a case for breach of contract but even then if someone checks yes to the terms of service, that is an uphill battle.

hobbes

WKR
I'm not implying anything, simply stating the fact that Eric has made videos and wrote articles about the detrimental impact of land locked public lands. All while he himself is locking up access to said lands and guiding on it. He claims to be a public access advocate.

can't you see the irony and hypocrisy in that?
It seems like you aren't giving the full picture here. Was their access prior to his leasing ? If he's leasing a private ranch, there was no access to begin with.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Let me try to simplify this for the guys not understanding with an example.

A guy says "Dont landlock lands, and restrict access. Public land should be accessible to everyone"

Same guy who said that goes and leases land that borders landlocked land and restricts access to only paying customers.

I can't help you if you don't understand that. Practice what you preach.

Also the thread is starting to get derailed a bit with the way point theories. The thread is meant to bring up a discussion on the hypocrisy of Eric choosing to keep a landlocked piece of public ground landlocked, even though his articles and videos suggest he vehemently is against said actions.

fishslap

WKR
he is charging people to access the public through his leased land so yes, he is preventing access. Or rather providing access to clients only.

I dont see how prior access matters in this situation. He isn't just a no name guide outfit. He is a self proclaimed advocate for public access, that is using private lands to access landlocked parcels for monetary gain, and restricting access to the public.
I wish more private landowners would do this. Can you imagine how much more public land we’d have to hunt at a small fraction of our annual recreational budget? Hell, I once paid an outfitter to haul me and my camp across national forest that I own! It was too far for me to hike and haul out. I’d pay a land owner to cross his land because it’s too private for me to hike across otherwise. Pretty similar according to my bank account. Good for the onx guy. I’m happy for him, his success, and how he chooses to use it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

A guy says "Dont landlock lands, and restrict access. Public land should be accessible to everyone"

Same guy who said that goes and leases land that borders landlocked land and restricts access to only paying customers.

Also the thread is starting to get derailed a bit with the way point theories. The thread is meant to bring up a discussion on the hypocrisy of Eric choosing to keep a landlocked piece of public ground landlocked, even though his articles and videos suggest he vehemently is against said actions.
I guess I'm failing to understand how the piece of public wouldn't be land locked by the surrounding private land if he didn't lease it?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR

So he should pay for everyone’s access?

He didn’t change the access. 99% of land owners don’t want the general public on their land because of liability and lack of respect.

What’s the beef again, Jealousy?

Cam Hanes made his money off backcountry public land hunting.

I doubt he’s set foot on public during an otc season for any length of time in a decade. Is he a fraud now too?

Unless Onx is actively manipulating the market and driving out, buying up all its competitors, they are not violating monopoly laws. At most there would be a case for breach of contract but even then if someone checks yes to the terms of service, that is an uphill battle.

Maybe.

gabenzeke

WKR
I see both sides. Yeah, my onx subscription fees are subsidizing this guys ability to have a private hunting area and that sucks. But on the other side, I know for darn sure if I had a pile of money, whether I made that with a hunting company or won it in the lottery, one of the first things I'm doing is buying land. It's hypocritical that he's charging people to hunt and blocking access. But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if he didn't do it, someone else would and it wouldn't be accessible in his absence. I could be wrong there though...open to admitting that if I missed something.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.