One pack

Why the dislike for meat shelves?
Say I have 30-50lbs of stuff in a pack and I dump a critter. The meat shelve makes my other load way out on my back away from the centre of gravity. It’s more taxing of a load at that point.

Instead I get a big bag, unpack my stuff a bit and build a base in my bag to put a dry bag of meat on top of to get it raised on my back and as close to my back as possible. It’s faster and packs way nicer. I think the meat shelve is marketed to the newer crowd. For a day trip sure a meat shelf works, but as soon as you start packing a camp it’s way less efficient imo

I would pick up a SG terminus 7000, think there is a good deal on one in the classifieds. Plenty of room for what you are looking for, compresses down to nothing for day pack mode while also being lighter in weight than most day packs.

MBAlex

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru reckoning is my only pack. Great for compressing down or using for multi day trips

I am a MR dude, so I have a good bit of their gear. I own three frames and about ten packs, but only use a couple. One of my favs is their Mule. It works well for me as a day pack, and it attaches to the frame. The other is a metcalf, which allows me to use as an extended trip pack. The other frames/packs are for buddy’s who come out to hunt with me.

jhenk

FNG
Say I have 30-50lbs of stuff in a pack and I dump a critter. The meat shelve makes my other load way out on my back away from the centre of gravity. It’s more taxing of a load at that point.

Instead I get a big bag, unpack my stuff a bit and build a base in my bag to put a dry bag of meat on top of to get it raised on my back and as close to my back as possible. It’s faster and packs way nicer. I think the meat shelve is marketed to the newer crowd. For a day trip sure a meat shelf works, but as soon as you start packing a camp it’s way less efficient imo
Yeah that makes sense, taller would be better than thicker with a meat shelf then

@jhenk

Just picture each bag weighs 50lbs.

Meat bag in shelf and pack.

Vs

One bag or load as close to your back as possible.

Which one will want to pull you over?
Try it sometime, you’ll figure out very quickly which is easier on your body when hauling heavy loads.

Attachments

• IMG_8326.png
    IMG_8326.png
    513.8 KB · Views: 15

jhenk

FNG
@jhenk

Vs

Try it sometime, you’ll figure out very quickly which is easier on your body when hauling heavy loads.
I hope to try it out this fall on an elk haha I suppose you could just get a bigger bag and not use the meat shelf. I do agree that having a big bag sticking out is gonna be tougher. Maybe meat shelf is better to have and not use by loading up than to need it and not have it tho. You could choose to not use if u can fit in the pack.

I’ve never once thought I needed a smaller pack, but I have thought I needed a bigger one.

You won’t notice the weight difference with the amount of versatility it can give you.

My old muskeg 7k could be flattened and folded flat. Same with my Dall at this point.
Hell I grabbed a Stryker XL off a buddy and see better versatility with my Dall at this point.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
@jhenk

Vs

If I have that much gear to haul out, more than likely my last trip will be gear with the head/antlers strapped on top. I’ll take the meat out 1st on the shelf with the bag removed (if possible) or empty’ish.

bone in blacktail.
Parter wise, splitting other blacktail, mtn goat and stone sheep. We don’t exactly do multiple trips for these animals

Marble

WKR
Like others have said, get a larger pack with adequate compression straps. As long as you can get everything cinched down so your load isn't shifting, you probably won't notice the slight extra weight of the larger pack.

That being said, I would like to know what you guys that need a 6000 cu in pack for 4 days are carrying? I consider anything over 5000 cu in large and can go for over a week with all my gear.
If I'm solo, heck, even if I'm not, I want spare room to pack my camp plus meat. I would rather have the room to carry as much as possible when needed rather than having to make another trip.

I can keep everything in my bag and out stuff on the meat shelf. But in my experience, having a mostly full bag, and trying to put a bunch of meat between the bag and the frame can make for a PITA to make the load carry correctly.

When I day hunt from my camp, I'll close off the bottom part of the pack with straps and all my gear will be in the upper portion of my pack.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

What kind of critter does one dump and one-trip along with your full camp?
When it takes you 4hr to get to the top of a mountain or into a zone, I’m not exactly thinking hell I’ll take half this and come back tomorrow and take more time/effort to get it out. I’ll move at a slightly slower speed out and do it in one trip.

It’s not an elk or a moose.

MthwSdmn

FNG
I’ve never once thought I needed a smaller pack, but I have thought I needed a bigger one.

You won’t notice the weight difference with the amount of versatility it can give you.

My old muskeg 7k could be flattened and folded flat. Same with my Dall at this point.
Hell I grabbed a Stryker XL off a buddy and see better versatility with my Dall at this point.
My Dall currently does everything. Yes, a Stryker XL or Hellbender or maybe even a Bedlam would be sweet additions and might be better in some circumstances... but if I can only have one it's gotta be the Dall because I do end up going on extended cold weather trips. Sold a smaller pack before I picked up the Dall because I was tired of adding lids/pockets, strapping things to the side/bottom, using load shelf for food, etc.

Even if you don't necessarily plan on doing longer trips in colder conditions I would personally stick to about 5000ci and get a pack that you think compresses nicely.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
@jhenk

Vs

Apples to apples, same dimensions and weight stacked on top of each other is going to suck for stability.

Torque caused by weight further away from back is totally real though.

Just the demonstration you’ve put forth is a bit exaggerated, imo.

prm

WKR
Kifaru Stryker XL is my choice.

Does everything I need. I’ve tried different styles of packs, different brands, but came back to Kifaru and a Stryker bag.