One pack

Wmcknight

FNG
Looking for a pack that is a one size fits all, I mostly do day trips but am starting to get into 2-4 day overnight trips. I would like one pack that can do both so I don’t have to spend 1200-1500 on two packs. Currently leaning towards the Stone Glacier 2800 approach but it’s a little pricey. Any Recommendations?

180ls1

WKR
Kuiu 4000lt does exactly that for me. It may go on sale here, they have a big one kicking off int he next day or two.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
It's easier to make a bigger pack smaller, than a smaller pack bigger. I'd be looking at something between 3500-5500 ci. Any of the major pack manufacturers should have something for you within this range.

My only pack is a Seek Outside 5400ci pack. It cinches down to hardly anything for day hunts. I've had 9 days worth of late season gear (including full hot tent setup) packed too.

archp625

WKR
Mystery Ranch Metcalf or Stone Glacier 5900. Like another person said. It’s easy to make it smaller but you cannot make them bigger. I recommend pack close to 6000.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I like the mystery ranch system of being able to change bags. I have the sawtooth/beartooth combo and it covers most everything I need. But I will say owning multiple packs is kind of nice, I like to use my old Dwight Schuh sometimes.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend anything in the 3500 to 5000 cubic inch size. If you can manage, I would buy all the packs that fit your criteria and test them for fit and comfort with weight in each pack. The best pack is the one that is the most comfortable to YOU. There is nothing worse than packing out an animal with a pack that doesn’t fit you properly. Ask me how I know…

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Exo K4 3600. Compresses down well for a day pack, can easily carry 3 days (I have gotten 7, but that is not typical of most folks). If you ever want a bigger bag, you can get just the bag.

Seek Outside is the lightest for what it is capable of. SG makes good stuff, so does Kifaru.

3000 to 5000 is the size you want though, with a load shelf between the bag and frame.

fatlander

WKR
EXO k4 5000 or 7200.

The 7200 has the same layout as the 3600. I had a 3600 and returned it. Currently have the 7200. From packing down to a daypack size, the 7200 gets just as small as the 3600 with twice as much capacity for 7 more ounces. It’s mind boggling how little that big bag can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been running a KUIU pro 6000. I bought the original many years ago with an 1800CI bag. Way too small. Bought a 5500 ci bag and it was perfect. Had to have a warranty replacement and they gave me a pro series setup with a 6000 CI bag. Works well.

Attachments

• packout1.jpg
    packout1.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 25

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mystery Ranch Pintler which is designed as a larger day pack. I also have an Exo K4 5000 and I can easily compress it down to work as a day pack and then when needed get 5-6 days out of it easily. The Pintler isn't used much any more.

Like others have said, get a larger pack with adequate compression straps. As long as you can get everything cinched down so your load isn't shifting, you probably won't notice the slight extra weight of the larger pack.

That being said, I would like to know what you guys that need a 6000 cu in pack for 4 days are carrying? I consider anything over 5000 cu in large and can go for over a week with all my gear.

Mt Al

WKR
Similar situation, I only use one pack for everything. 90% of my use are day trips and I like room for puffy jackets and pants plus small stove for coffee in the bag for winter day trips. I have an MR Selway, 3800 cu in for a large-ish day pack and it's way easy to strap a tent, sleeping bag and other stuff externally for 2/3 day overnights.

The Selway is discontinued but any of the "named" premium pack companies' 3K/4K sizes would work for me.

Everyone of my hunting friends does what most of the previous comments suggested: buy big and cinch down for day trips.

Let us know what you buy!

SloppyJ

WKR
I bought a K4 2200 here and then picked up a 5000 bag off of here as well. Now I'm set for anything that I'd want to do. I use the 2200 for all sorts of stuff from a range bag to a whitetail bag. You don't need to buy two full setups, just one frame that you like and two bags if you want the modularity.

Lowedown

FNG
I have been extremely happy with My Exo Mt Gear 4800 and 3500. Everything compresses down well for daypack and doesn't weigh as much as others. Yet it expands to handle multiple day trips or heavy loads also! The support from the company has been top notch, and I appreciate they are made nearby in Boise, ID. I really appreciate the airflow they offer between my back and the pack, and they adjustability to fit your body frame. The K2 3500 is now my wife's main pack while I enjoy the K3 4800.