One leg shorter than the other

Michael54

WKR
So in july of 2021 i was in a bad wreck and had to have a full hip replacement that included my hip socket being rebuilt. The outcome now is that my right leg is 3/8 of an inch shorter than my left and walking long distances is causing me severe knee pain in my left leg. I bought inserts for inside my tennis shoes and they help sognificantly. However they are too big for my hunting boots. The heel lift is pulling my foot too far up out of the boot and causing blisters and discomfort. Has anyone had any luck with the custom lifts on their boots between the sole and boot bottom? Im curious as to how well they hold up.

I have absolutely no insight on your situation, but I think you probably have the right idea with using a midsole. I may try reaching out to some boot manufacturers to see if it’s something they have dealt with, or even a cobbler to see if they have insight. Seems to me it would be much more comfortable to have your length evened up on the midsole rather than a removable insert. A cobbler may be able to add a spacer to a boot with an exposed welt or something simmilar.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
I have/have had the same issues. Part of it has been from a wreck, from being somewhat sedentary from time to time, and from being beat up in the military for years.

I've really worked on hip and low back health over the years, and thats really helped. A Chiropractor worked on me for 3 months and he got it close. Could be snake oil, but I can tell you my mechanics got much better in terms of stride and form in running and long terms walking under weight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 3/4" leg length discrepancy for my entire life. It hasn't caused many problems over the years but, as I have grown older, it starts to make my back hurt after long hikes while hunting. It would be best to consult your doctor and have a lift made for your boots.

hiker270

WKR
A buddy of mine has one leg shorter by approx. 1/2" also from a broken leg in an auto accident. He has a shoe repair shop build up the soles on his boots. He hunts and walks a lot and he says it works for him.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I have/have had the same issues. Part of it has been from a wreck, from being somewhat sedentary from time to time, and from being beat up in the military for years.

I've really worked on hip and low back health over the years, and thats really helped. A Chiropractor worked on me for 3 months and he got it close. Could be snake oil, but I can tell you my mechanics got much better in terms of stride and form in running and long terms walking under weight.

Hope this helps.
My hip socket is now basically screws and calcified bone paste. After my replacement i was deemed non weight bearing in a brace for 3 months out of concern that it wouldn't hold. i havent found a chiropractor willing to go near my hip/lower back out of liability concerns.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I would suggest finding a quality physical therapist.
I've been in physical therapy since september of 21. They finally told me i was wasting money to just join a gym. I have the range of motion back in my hip and am at about 60% of my old hip strength id say.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I have a 3/4" leg length discrepancy for my entire life. It hasn't caused many problems over the years but, as I have grown older, it starts to make my back hurt after long hikes while hunting. It would be best to consult your doctor and have a lift made for your boots.
Do you have a lift on the midsole of your boots? And if so how well does it hold up?

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in physical therapy since september of 21. They finally told me i was wasting money to just join a gym. I have the range of motion back in my hip and am at about 60% of my old hip strength id say.
I said find a good one, which can be like dating. At any rate best of luck, I am certain you will find a solution. Lots of suggestions so far.

A buddy of mine has one leg shorter by approx. 1/2" also from a broken leg in an auto accident. He has a shoe repair shop build up the soles on his boots. He hunts and walks a lot and he says it works for him.
A good friend of mine does exactly this.

It's closer to an inch for him, but he always has it added to the sole.

WKR
PT is mostly a regressed form of strength training so if you're doing pretty well on your own, I'd keep up the good work. An anatomic leg length inequality isn't ever going to be "fixed" but it can likely be well managed with a combination of strength, mobility, and likely a lift.

A lift can be up to 9 mm inside the shoe (it varies) but it can create significant fit issues. A simple full foot lift in the midsole would probably be a good bet. A pedorthist would be the next option if the simple lift doesn't work very well.