One item you wish you carried sooner?

Cubera67

FNG
What is one item you now carry in your pack that you wish you would have though to carry years ago?

Mine is a battery tester. They weigh/cost nothing. Don’t take batteries. And I know I have good ones to swap out in GPS etc. Used it chasing elk the other day and thought “this is genius to have”.

Gonna get one now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crossone

FNG
Cut resistant gloves (I only carry one because I'm right handed) is a big deal. The other is a Battle Patch, which is a giant piece of gauss infused with blood clotting agent. I know of more than one guy that has cut himself seriously enough to die but barely made it out. Even a few miles in the back country can make a severe cut into a death sentence. I carry a large Battle Pack now in case we need it. 6 oz well worth the weight. I also have learned to carry rubber/nitrile gloves large enough to cover my wool or poly glove liners. Now I can keep my hands warm while gutting and quartering an elk at below zero Temps.

Cross

drm9320

FNG
Lot's of good suggestions here! Using a pack liner instead of a pack cover is a change I wish I would've made sooner. Something like trash compactor bags or nylofume bags work well. Simple and cheap.

Jtenkink

FNG
Garbage bags/contractor bags always come in handy and they weigh next to nothing. I also just picked up a Garmin Inreach mini, haven’t actually used it yet but it’s one I’ve been thinking about getting for a long time.

items I added in my or to my daily pack ...

Extra Wind check bottle, Unscented Chap stick , "Thera Tears" eye drops, pruning saw, Trekking poles, Leuko Tape, small bug proof head net.

Naiche

FNG
I carry the smallest size swiss army knife. It has tweezers and a toothpick as well as scissors and a small blade and weighs nothing. Tweezers are a must have here in cactus land.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Something I never realized I needed until I didn’t have any was floss...get something stuck in your teeth and being 11 days from a bit of floss is enough to make a man crazy. I don’t remember what it was, but toothbrush, knife, nothing worked. It was maddening.

TheGDog

WKR
Something I never realized I needed until I didn’t have any was floss...get something stuck in your teeth and being 11 days from a bit of floss is enough to make a man crazy. I don’t remember what it was, but toothbrush, knife, nothing worked. It was maddening.

I can definitely feel you on that!

KyleHuntID

FNG
Classified Approved
Going with a quilt on this one, shaved some ounces and sleep 10x’s more comfortable. Now I can’t even look at a mummy bag.

Rich M

WKR

I do carry floss but more for the very strong thread part of it. Will often make toothpicks out of twigs and tough grass to clear teeth. My teeth are pretty tight so flossing always feels like I'm gonna pop something out or off.

Cut-proof glove

small lined nylon tarp (5x7 i think) - used it once when I got soaked from rain and the temp dropped, started towards hypothermia, made a small fire and snuggled up to it with the tarp wrapped around me - dried off and was warm inside of 15-30 minutes.

rcleofly

FNG
What a cool thread. I now have 8 new items to get lol.
I will add and I saw another gentleman put this out there, a helinox chair. I’ve also noticed a couple other companies on Amazon making them as well. What a treat it is in the evening to be able to set outside your tent by the fire in that thing. It’s totally worth it. Thanks everyone for sharing. This is what makes Rokslide a gem.

chase4545

FNG
What is one item you now carry in your pack that you wish you would have though to carry years ago?

Mine is a battery tester. They weigh/cost nothing. Don’t take batteries. And I know I have good ones to swap out in GPS etc. Used it chasing elk the other day and thought “this is genius to have”.
Tripod for binos. Tracking poles. Light tent, pad, and bag. Food is optional, u may lose weight bit food isn't needed. I've found u can go for a week without and not lose a step. Something I've learned is we are weak. I've gone weeks and been fine. Water is needed, food is not.

rayporter

WKR
something it took me years to remember to take is good tape and some pure lanolin for when my fingers crack open.

if i am smart i tape up before they crack, but i guess i dont take enough of them smart pills.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Cut resistant gloves (I only carry one because I'm right handed) is a big deal. The other is a Battle Patch, which is a giant piece of gauss infused with blood clotting agent. I know of more than one guy that has cut himself seriously enough to die but barely made it out. Even a few miles in the back country can make a severe cut into a death sentence. I carry a large Battle Pack now in case we need it. 6 oz well worth the weight. I also have learned to carry rubber/nitrile gloves large enough to cover my wool or poly glove liners. Now I can keep my hands warm while gutting and quartering an elk at below zero Temps.

Cross
Great point. After watching a YouTube video where a guys arrow came out of quiver busting brush and went into his leg, we added swat-t tourniquet and quick clot to each of our bags. The guys in the video didn’t have either and did a good job saving him, improvising and carried him out. Without the 5-6 guy there to save him good chance he would have bled out.

My fear is the razor blade knives we use breaking down game

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Lekotape now sits w knife in pants pocket, kids let me know before they get blister and we are all much happier. Also last year rolled ankle bad, packing out elk, taped up and went from no walk to getting elk out, took two days to pack out

Tripod w Outdoorsmans stud for NL pure binos. Elk are so easy to find now.