Once in a lifetime decision

OneTimer

FNG
My wife got lucky and drew a sheep tag in Oregon and I’m a poor judge of rams. Based on harvest data in the last 10yrs it’s not common to see a ram in the 170’s, a couple have been taken. Majority of what has been harvested score in the 160 range. I know how the scoring system lays out but I am having a hard time guessing mass and length.

That being said, is anyone willing to give some guesses on size of the two bigger rams in the pictures? Top left and top right are all the biggest in my opinion. Top left ram is in the center of the last pic on top. I can get different angles if that helps.

Appreciate any help. -Tom

Attachments

• IMG_7739.png
    IMG_7739.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 281
OP
O

OneTimer

FNG
Looks like I didn’t attach the last two pics. Last pic is supposed to be the second picture.

-Tom

Attachments

• IMG_7707.jpeg
    IMG_7707.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_7686.jpeg
    IMG_7686.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 308

WCB

WKR
Top right imo is the biggest ram by no doubt. The top left has similar length but not as much mass especially in the 4th mass measurement. More pictures would help but again imo it is a no brainer shoot the upper right one.

Bambistew

WKR
Don't get hung up on score. It doesn't mean chit unless its a really, really big sheep, even then its just your name behind a bunch of other hunters that no one cares about but them. Shoot the one that looks the best to y you/her. Older the better IMO.

Make the most out of enjoying the hunt and seeing animals and sped less time focusing on size. An old ram is a trophy ram, period. IMO

I've talked to a lot of sheep hunters over the years, and its always funny to hear guys lead a conversation about the 172" ram they shot. Dude no one cares... I want to hear about how you ran out of food, hiked for days with no water, forgot your headlamp, tripped and cut your arm open, or how you tent blew away. I couldn't care less what you ram scores.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get hung up on score. It doesn't mean chit unless its a really, really big sheep, even then its just your name behind a bunch of other hunters that no one cares about but them. Shoot the one that looks the best to y you/her. Older the better IMO.

Make the most out of enjoying the hunt and seeing animals and sped less time focusing on size. An old ram is a trophy ram, period. IMO

I've talked to a lot of sheep hunters over the years, and its always funny to hear guys lead a conversation about the 172" ram they shot. Dude no one cares... I want to hear about how you ran out of food, hiked for days with no water, forgot your headlamp, tripped and cut your arm open, or how you tent blew away. I couldn't care less what you ram scores.
Agree. Sheep hunting is special. Very few hunts are as demanding both physically and mentally. Just enjoy being able to do what many guys will never have an opportunity to do.

Nothing wrong with trying to get one with the score you are looking for. I too agree with others that the Top right Ram would score better. He looks like he has more mass and mass is king.

Kisaralik

FNG
Way more room around the ear on the top right ram as others have stated. Ears are pretty uniform in size from sheep to sheep and a good tool for scale comp. Looks like an epic hunt, have fun and don't sweat it either way.

we'd all love an update on how it goes! have fun.

OP
O

OneTimer

FNG
Appreciate the good advice. All in all having the sheep tag is still a shock. I’ll say, score is definitely not a driving factor as she isn’t holding a tag with record book rams in the unit. More or less didn’t want to end up with a ram she thought was a good looking ram in her eyes and it be one of those no brainer, “you shouldn’t have shot that ram”, type of situations. Age is a driver. She said right off the bat she wants to shoot an older mature ram.

That said, the broomed off ram on the right definitely caught my eye with his mass! And I’d have to agree with her when she said the dark Ram is one of the prettiest desert rams I’ve ever seen. He doesn’t look to be much younger either but his horns are so dark it is hard to count rings.

Sheep country is something else! It’s been tough scouting leading up to it and just seeing the country that nobody would ever set foot into for no good reason is a sight to see on its own! I’ll definitely get a picture of what she decides to place her tag on.

TXCO

WKR
Top right is the best and a real nice double broomer. Good luck and have fun!

OP
O

OneTimer

FNG
Couple more of that too right ram. Works been keeping me busy so I’m a little behind posting these.

Attachments

• IMG_7685.jpeg
    IMG_7685.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 60

Alessio

FNG
You have a woman doing what you love to do... let her pick and count your blessings!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Top right imo is the biggest ram by no doubt. The top left has similar length but not as much mass especially in the 4th mass measurement. More pictures would help but again imo it is a no brainer shoot the upper right one.
The hats what was thinking, if I was going to shoot one, he’d be the guy