Ollin digiscope review

I picked up a Ollin digiscope last weekend at the western hunting expo. After a year of battling with my phone skope I decided I wanted to try a system that uses magnets in hopes it makes it a lot easier to set up my phone on my spotting scope. It retails for $175 online but I was able to pick it up for $150 with the show special discount.

PROS
The case your phone fits into is significantly smaller and sleeker than anything else I’ve used before. I have kept my phone in it the past week using it as a regular case and aside from the small adapter that sticks out on the right side it feels like a normal phone case. The magnets that the case attaches to are really strong while using it today I never felt like the phone would slide off the magnet. The selling point for me was the use of just being to slap your phone on and instantly be looking through the spotter, which I can attest works really well. Another nice feature is you can still use the spotter while the magnet housing stays on the spotter.

CONS
The one con that I don’t like but might not bug other people is the housing that fits onto the eyepiece has left permanent indents into the soft plastic. This is just a cosmetic problem but if this was on a high dollar swaro spotter I’d be a little upset. I suppose the other draw back is the expense of the system itself, it’s more expensive than phone skope and $175 is a little hefty for just a digiscope set up. As I use this I’ll update the pros and cons I notice, I hope this helps a little bit as a side note I have no experience with magview and may also be worth looking into if your interested in a magnet digiscope.

Attachments

• F07A6C84-AFC1-4A1E-BED4-903C1490A90F.jpeg
    F07A6C84-AFC1-4A1E-BED4-903C1490A90F.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 7462A26E-9BC2-4EF9-BC78-F963B3128EE8.jpeg
    7462A26E-9BC2-4EF9-BC78-F963B3128EE8.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 4788549C-8EE3-42C9-8D90-CE81E083154B.jpeg
    4788549C-8EE3-42C9-8D90-CE81E083154B.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 72B38A1D-6BFD-46D1-AC6C-BC99984CADE9.jpeg
    72B38A1D-6BFD-46D1-AC6C-BC99984CADE9.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 229
  • 3A7937A5-5EF3-4511-9290-2242BF9575B6.jpeg
    3A7937A5-5EF3-4511-9290-2242BF9575B6.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 225
Lots of good reviews for all the different digiscoping set ups out there.
In the end, i will most likely be picking up an Ollin sometime in the next year and using it for a season to see how it works for me.
I like the idea of being able to slap the phone on and take it off easily.

CorbLand

WKR
Let me know what the Magview is like.
Will do. So far it’s been good but I haven’t used it a ton. Number one favorite is that it doesn’t have its own case. Just stick it on your current case for the phone and your ready to go. I would always forget to grab the shit for my phone scope.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody come up with one that uses the mag safe magnets on the back of an IPhone? I’d prefer to use that over adding a plate to the back that negates that option.

Does the adapter that stays on the scope inhibit viewing at all? I am hesitant because I like to get as close to the glass as possible to have the largest field of view. I never extend the eye cup. Does this stick a ways above the normal height of the eye cup? Hope that makes sense.

OP
GetWestern
Does the adapter that stays on the scope inhibit viewing at all? I am hesitant because I like to get as close to the glass as possible to have the largest field of view. I never extend the eye cup. Does this stick a ways above the normal height of the eye cup? Hope that makes sense.
I suppose it slightly inhibits the view if you’re wanting the full field of view, I’d just take it off if you don’t want the hinderance. Thankfully It’s easy to take on and off.

ehayes

FNG
I just received an Ollin / iPhone 14 / Vortex Razor Gen 2.
Everything so far in this thread is pretty accurate.
My first impression is that it definitely inhibits the outer edges with the adapter on vs off. I would not glass for game with the adapter on. With the adapter on, it’s not so limiting that you couldn’t keep track of already found game.
To be fair, I have an email out to Ollin to make sure I am not missing something.
I’ll post back when I get a reply.

Does the Ollin case prevent you from using all the cameras on iPhone 14 pro? Is that an issue for anyone?

I have the MagView. Pro is you can use any case you want with no limits to cameras or funny shape. Con is it’s a PIA to get the camera lined up with scope.

Curious if I should switch to Ollin???

JMM1990

FNG
I also have trouble lining up the magview to get a clear picture quickly. I was wondering if the Ollin is a little easier to use.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also have trouble lining up the magview to get a clear picture quickly. I was wondering if the Ollin is a little easier to use.
Yes it can only be positioned a single way so it lines up the same every time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
IMHO..Between a cheap case that doesn’t seem to protect a very valuable brand new phone, and an eye piece adapter that has to be removed in order to glass effectively there is still a lot to be desired from this system. It does seem to be better than the other systems so far but for a few dollars more a case that is more robust isn’t asking too much considering the level of investment we have in these phones. Phone skope has a new carbon case coming out with some sweet new accessories that Olin could learn a thing or two from but the phone skope interface is sloppy and always takes adjusting. Phone skope please learn something from ollin. Sucks cause I really need to upgrade my digiscope with this new phone but I’m not loving the options. Am I missing something?

pirogue

WKR
Those indentions would bug me too, and are unavoidable if you have a continuous circumferential contact like the Magview. Glad I went with the Magview.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Indents on my $3k scope and $3k binos don’t make me warm n fuzzy either. how finicky is the mag view to get the alignment right in your opinion? Phone skope takes a skilled hand to get perfect and I do pretty good but it is a royal PIA when I’m rushed or stressed to get a shot on camera etc…the ollin seems to have that down perfect. Also if I am removing the eye piece on the ollin often is it going to make lots of indentations?

Last edited:

repins05

WKR
Well crap....indents shouldn't bother me on my Swarovski spotter.....but idents are going to bother me. Was getting ready to purchase one. Second thoughts now.