Older synthetic bags?

lmeyer

WKR
Found a north face cats meow 20 deg that's 10 years old, stored uncompressed, looks like it's in good shape. Is a sythetic bag that old worth buying? Or had it run through it's shelf life?

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be hesitant as synthetic deteriorates/breaks down over time and would expect that it probably no longer is a true 20 degree bag.

*zap*

WKR
Stored uncompressed and has good loft I would get it if everything else was as I liked.....those older north face bags are pretty good.

doing a search on this subject some say 4-5 years and the rating drops quickly. i would pass or at least know that it has lost the upper end of what it was rated at. im a very cold sleeper and wouldnt chance it.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
Stored uncompressed and has good loft I would get it if everything else was as I liked.....those older north face bags are pretty good.
How do you tell how much loft it's supposed to have versus current state. Pics of bag in question for reference.Screenshot_20200424-231323~2.pngScreenshot_20200424-231327~2.png

*zap*

WKR
My opinion would be that the loft on that bag is neither super or very bad. Depends on what the cost is and how you plan to use it, it may be great for use above 40° and a lot depends on how you sleep.....cold or hot.

I have a cats meow that is probably 10 years old. I went with a bag that has more shoulder room but my son uses it. Works fine.

New, they are $150. Maybe $125 on sale.

I would buy it for the right price. $50-60.

KBC

WKR
I have a 25 year old 0 deg synthetic bag that is probably around a 0 Celsius bag now

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have two Sierra Designs 15 degree synthetic (Polarguard 3D) bags from about 20 years ago that have always been stored uncompressed and well cared for. They are as warm as they ever were and really comfortable. I wish someone still made one like them--mummy cut but generous, stretch built in, pad strap attachments and a seemingly very durable synthetic insulation. Somewhere along the line I got the idea that Polarguard is supposed to be very durable, but with some other trade-off in drape or warmth-weight efficiency, so you may want to investigate what type of synthetic fill the bag you are looking at has and how durable it is reputed to be.

Beendare

WKR
Those Cats Moew's are pretty tight for a decent size guy.

I have two Sierra Designs 15 degree synthetic (Polarguard 3D) bags from about 20 years ago that have always been stored uncompressed and well cared for. They are as warm as they ever were and really comfortable. I wish someone still made one like them--mummy cut but generous, stretch built in, pad strap attachments and a seemingly very durable synthetic insulation. Somewhere along the line I got the idea that Polarguard is supposed to be very durable, but with some other trade-off in drape or warmth-weight efficiency, so you may want to investigate what type of synthetic fill the bag you are looking at has and how durable it is reputed to be.

Yeah, me too....about 2 years old and still good.