older (special) rifle project

Mine is circa mid-70's; everything I've heard is the new ones are good.

5dMSEs5.jpg

Such a cool rifle. I just talked to my mentor. He shoots nothing but Winchester and says the new ones are GTG.

My hunting partner dropped his ram last year with a wood stock and ceracoated Mauser sporter. Glass bedded and oil finished. We had a wet and nasty glacier hunt, but the rifle survived and a ram didn't.

I've taken a couple of rams with wood and blue Rugers myself. The stocks do get some character marks...

^ very nice! hoping to do the same :D

stock does have some "character" already from hunting elk, wouldn't mind a bit to add a little more :)

Following along. Cool project.

How are the winchester triggers? I've never tried one.

I found a Cerakote applicator in the Bitterroot and will be in that area mid-September. After visiting with them, sounds like Midnight blue or Socom blue is what I'm looking for. They have samples of both to compare. I'll get the action and bottom metal done. I had the bolt fluted, so may go with some two tone Cerakote with it.

Once I get the action coated, I'll take it to my local gunsmith and have him bed and treat the stock.

What applicator? Don’t say snowy mountain. I would highly recommend Blue Line Cerakote. Their work is top notch. Located in Stevi.

Following along. Cool project.

How are the winchester triggers? I've never tried one.

decent, but like most factory triggers could be better- I'm going to have mine lightened a bit

What applicator? Don’t say snowy mountain. I would highly recommend Blue Line Cerakote. Their work is top notch. Located in Stevi.

yup- Blue Line; we have one right here in Helena, but reviews were mixed

That stock has a full length (rear tang to front swivel) CNC machined aluminum bedding block. Really sacrificing nothing in terms of performance by having this wood stock. If you felt the need to really stabilize things I wonder of something like that could be retrofitted to a factory wood stock?
69AF33F7-475F-4FF1-8AE6-EC1AB0C75C5A.jpeg

Love seeing guys keep their wood stocks! I have a Rem 700 I bought from my uncle when I was 13 (he basically gave it to me) that I had some action work done to as well as a Bartlien barrel swapped on. I kept the original wood stock since I felt like that is where the rifle got most of its personality and wanted it to feel the same. I will be bedding the action and refinishing/sealing the entire stock this month to protect it (and restore it after what I put it through in high school).Rifle.png

If you're looking to shave ounces, you could swiss cheese the mag box. I think O'Conner did that to reduce weight. My only complaint about Winchester's is their weight.

If you're looking to shave ounces, you could swiss cheese the mag box. I think O'Conner did that to reduce weight. My only complaint about Winchester's is their weight.

I’m going to have the gunsmith look at drilling a few holes on the interior of the stock, I’ll have him look at that too.

My Featherweight is actually not too bad for a wood stock rifle-a smidge under 6 lbs.

Love seeing guys keep their wood stocks! I have a Rem 700 I bought from my uncle when I was 13 (he basically gave it to me) that I had some action work done to as well as a Bartlien barrel swapped on. I kept the original wood stock since I felt like that is where the rifle got most of its personality and wanted it to feel the same. I will be bedding the action and refinishing/sealing the entire stock this month to protect it (and restore it after what I put it through in high school).View attachment 316223
Your rifle story is almost identical to mine, except mine is a 30-06 ADL from the 70s. Good job fellas keep these rifles in the woods being used!

That fluting looks fantastic! I’d consider just cerakote clear over it to preserve the contrast.
You know we’re going to need before and after photos?
As much as I love the feel and practicality of my CF McMillan on my Browning, I’m going to need a wood stock on it for sure. Love the maple on my .30-06 m70 fwt.

Another option that a gun-nerd friend turned me on to is Carnuba wax. The stuff you use for cars. Strip all the oils and such off of everything, wood and metal, and apply it in a warm shop until it dries. It fills all the little nooks and crannies in both the wood and the metal, and protects from water intrusion. This won't be as fancy looking as a two tone cerakote, but will protect the original metal and wood during a wet hunt.

I had a featherweight in .30-06 and that thing just had bad mojo for me. I sold it to the brother in law and he is loving it.

Keep us updated.

Back