Old Rem. 700 actions

Are Remington 700 action still worth fixing up these days, or should I just buy a custom?

I've got two old Rem. actions in my gun safe just taking up space. I've been tossing around the idea of sending one to a smith to get trued up for a 6.5prc training rifle build. Not into another Tikka, have plenty of those. At this point it's either fix up an old Remy action that I already own or get a Origin custom action and go from there. Who does a good job fixing up Remington actions, it's been a while since I've researched this.

Thoughts?

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
Just go custom. By the time you buy and fix up a 700, you are basically in the custom action price range. Not to mention resale value on a trued 700 is terrible compared to custom action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
Just go custom. By the time you buy and fix up a 700, you are basically in the custom action price range. Not to mention resale value on a trued 700 is terrible compared to custom action.

I already own the rem action... I'm just trying to be resourceful I guess. And It's unlikely I would sell a gun.

What is your 700's action length and bolt face size?

LRI can do any upgrade to a 700 at a super price + fast turnaround. Can true, flute bolt, add a firing pin bushing, Cerakote, add a bolt knob, add a rail...

However, you get all that + complete nitride when you pay $900 for a new Origin, which is an excellent action.

Very easy to sell your 700 action for $450 ballpark (for moly, stainless more). I have new Defiance LA w/mag bolt face I might be willing to trade for a 700 + boot money.

I don’t bother with them unless they are stainless, and even then it’s probably wasted money.

You could Remage them for a trainer.

OP
O
What is your 700's action length and bolt face size?

LRI can do any upgrade to a 700 at a super price + fast turnaround. Can true, flute bolt, add a firing pin bushing, Cerakote, add a bolt knob, add a rail...

However, you get all that + complete nitride when you pay $900 for a new Origin, which is an excellent action.

Very easy to sell your 700 action for $450 ballpark (for moly, stainless more). I have new Defiance LA w/mag bolt face I might be willing to trade for a 700 + boot money.
Long Action mag bolt face in blue. Came from a 1970's era Rem 7mag. Rifle was very low round count from what I can tell.

Tmac

WKR
I have a donor SS 700 action sitting in my safe. Been there for quite some time. When I want a new LA rifle, it will get used over buying a custom action. It’s my last donor 700. After that I’ll use a Tikka or entry level custom action.

So I’d use it. You don’t have to do all the truing to get a shooter. Can do some basic squaring, screw in a good barrel and get a good shooter for hunting. If you are doing longer range stuff, probably the full truing/blue printing treatment is a good idea or go custom.

OP
O
I have a donor SS 700 action sitting in my safe. Been there for quite some time. When I want a new LA rifle, it will get used over buying a custom action. It’s my last donor 700. After that I’ll use a Tikka or entry level custom action.

So I’d use it. You don’t have to do all the truing to get a shooter. Can do some basic squaring, screw in a good barrel and get a good shooter for hunting. If you are doing longer range stuff, probably the full truing/blue printing treatment is a good idea or go custom.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, the plan for now is to put it on an MDT hunt chassis and I would use it primarily for training out 800 yds and the occasional mule deer backpack hunt.

Since you already have them, use them. Save the money toward something else. Invest the money in a quality barrel and chamber job- just about everything after that is fluff.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t be afraid to use it and LRI does awesome work like previously mentioned. I would have Chad just chamber to your desired specs at the same time.

With that said, you can buy an origin and a prefit and be in business as well. It would be easier and more money but a nicer rifle and more resale value which you said you don’t care about.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
LRI trued up an action ~10 years ago. They also fixed the primary extraction issue. It's as smooth as some of my custom actions. That's a sample of one and I doubt I'll true any more Remingtons. This is based on the fact that the action needs to be sent off for a new barrel every time one is installed. I've asked if LRI can save dimensions and ship me a new barrel for me to install. They mentioned that bolt nose clearance is something they like to check in house when installing a barrel. Therefore, any other Remingtons will maintain factory thread dimensions for possible Remage setup.

If building a new rig today, I'd look for an action that has guaranteed dimensions and shouldered prefit barrels can be installed at home.

LaHunter

WKR
Are Remington 700 action still worth fixing up these days, or should I just buy a custom?

I've got two old Rem. actions in my gun safe just taking up space. I've been tossing around the idea of sending one to a smith to get trued up for a 6.5prc training rifle build. Not into another Tikka, have plenty of those. At this point it's either fix up an old Remy action that I already own or get a Origin custom action and go from there. Who does a good job fixing up Remington actions, it's been a while since I've researched this.

Thoughts?
Alamo Precision in the Dallas, TX area has built two rifles for me based on M700 receivers. Both are very accurate, well made rifles. On both, I went with a PTG bolts vs the REM bolt.