OK now help requested on my full load out? Elk Pack for September CO

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Some of you have been helping me on my clothing list for a September Elk/Mule deer hunt at 8,500 to 10,500 feet in CO. I got some great feedack on the thread. I am now putting up my full list of what is in my pack and on me. I will be coming from Oklahoma. so I will only probably get one summer scouting trip, so your comments to help me shake my load down would be appreciated. I am working like crazy to get in shape (I will be 51 years old on this years hunt). I have learned alot from everyone on this forum and if you see something that should be cut or a better way to go with something, let me know. I'm not a baby and don't care too much about creature comforts, only enough comfort to do a hunt with out fatiguing myself too badly. I would like my pack to be ligther than it is. I will pack in and set-up, probably no more than 3 miles from the truck and then just move around to find the animals. If I need to spend a night away from the camp so be it. I may be solo if my two guys from PA don't make the year.

This list is what I actually have. Not what I am thinking about doing, so fire away. You guys that do it all the time probably will see a bunch of stuff I don't need. Most of what I have has been gleaned from reading the info on this site. I have been testing each piece of gear and plan to test everything during trips afield (in OK and CO) before the hunt. Thanks for your time.

On the bottom pack list there is a scroll bar below it so you can move back and forth to see all the details.

Here is what is on my person:

Item Name
Descrition
Qty
Weight
Unit
Knee Pads
Arcteryx
oz.
Binocular & Rangefinder Harness
FHF
oz.
Binoculars
Vortex Talon HD 10x42
oz.
Range Finer
Vortex 1000
oz.
Wind Powder
Talc & Bottle
oz.
Elk Mouth Calls
Mouth Call Pouch, 2 Mouth Calls, Carlton Cow Call
oz.
Boxer Shorts
Core 4 Element Merino Mix
oz.
Gaitor's
Cabela's Gortex
oz.
Pants
ASAT First Lite Merino Wool
oz.
Base Layer Top
ASAT Firts Lite Merino Wool
oz.
Socks
Smartwool Socks
oz.
Belt
Kiafru
oz.
I-Phone
Otter Box, Clip and Phone
oz.
Boots
LOWA Tibets sz 11
oz.
Watch
Suunto Vector
oz.

Here is everything in my pack.

Item Name
Details
Qty
Weight
Unit
Backpack
Kifaru T1 Multicam, Longhunter Lid, 2 LG Hunting Pockets, 1 Med. Hunting Pocket, Chamber Pocket Pocket, Grab-it
oz.
Rain Gear Bottom
ASAT
oz.
Rain Gear Top
ASAT
oz.
GPS
Garming Oregon 450T, Backcountry Solutions Pouch
oz.
Water Bladder
MSR 2L Bladder, Hose & Valve (with bladder filled)
oz.
Camo Face Paint
Hunter Specialties
oz.
First Aid Kit
First Aid Kit
oz.
InReach
Delorme InReach
oz.
Sleeping Bag
Eureka 15 Degree Sleeping, Ti Gaot Bivy Bag, Stuff Sack
oz.
Base Layer Bottom
oz.
Sweater
First Lite Labrador
oz.
Socks
Smartwool Socks
oz.
Boxer Shorts
Core 4 Element Merino Mix
oz.
IPhone Batter/Charger
New Trent, Cable and Small Kifaru Pull Out
oz.
Toilet Kit
Glide, Tooth Brush, Cloth, Paste, Toilet Paper,, KU Pull Out, Pocket Soap
oz.
Water Purification Kit
Big Zip 3.0, Sawyer In-line Filter, Kifar Pull Out, Extra Bite Valve
oz.
Headlamp
PrinceTec Fuel with Batteries
oz.
Tripod Binocular Adapter
Vortex
oz.
Spoon
Titanium Long Sppon
oz.
Spotting Scope
Vortex HD 65mm, with Neoprene Cover.
oz.
Field Chair
Kifaru
oz.
Stove Kit
MSR Pocket Rocket, Paracord, Snow Peak Pot / Lid, Scrubber Sponge, Canister Legs, Stuff Sack
oz.
Insulated Cup
GSI
oz.
I-Phone Tripod Adapter
I-Phone Tripod Adapter
oz.
Note Pad
Write in the rain 3"x5"
oz.
Possibles Pouch
oz.
Pillow Case
Thermarest Lightweight Fleece
oz.
Puffy Jacket
OR Primaloft
oz.
Tent Lantern
Black Diamond
oz.
Wipes
Hoo-Ahhs 20 Count 7"x10"
oz.
Fuel Canister
8 Oz.
oz.
Glasses
Sunglasses, Spare Prescription Glasses, Case
oz.
Doo Rag
ASAT Cotton
oz.
Gloves
ASAT
oz.
Beanie
oz.
Gator Neck
oz.
Batteries AA
Lithium (qty 2)
oz.
Batteries AAA
Lithium (qty 3)
oz.
Battery CR2
Lithium (qty 1)
oz.
Tent
Hilleberg ATKO, Outter, Pegs, Pole
oz.
Water Bladder
MSR 10L (Empty)
oz.
Digital Camera
SONY 8.1M Pixel Cybershot
oz.
Kill Kit
Caribou Game Bags, 3 - 28"x48", 1 - 30"x28", 1- Camp Meat, 2 Nitrile GlovesHavalon Knife, 6 Blades,Marking Tape, Space Blanket, 1 Contractor Trash Bag, Stuff Sack, Paracord
oz.
Camp Shoes
Merrell Trail Gloves
oz.
Food
oz.
Maps
Maps and Plastic Bag
oz.
Pistol
Ruger LCR .357
oz.
Holster
Fobus LCR
oz.
Bow Set-up
Bear Legion
oz.
Total

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Hflier,
It looks like a lot of thought went into your gear choices. Tough to critique that list. You may want to add a lightweight pair of trekking poles that pack down small (3pc) that are not twist locks. BD and Leki make some good poles. Leki makes a grip insert that allows for a camera attachment if you are into photography. Trekking poles will be helpful after you fill your tag(s) and pack out. You could always drop a few things in the comfort category (i.e field chair v. rock/pack) but that is personal choice stuff. You have more latitude with weight since you are setting up a base camp and not thru hunting. At the end of the day, the most important piece of gear IMHO is you. Sounds like you are working hard to get in mountain shape. I hope you enjoy your hunt! All the best.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to add you can wrap duct tape around the top of your poles to store it for in the field quick fixes.

littlebuf

Banned
if you havent already dont waste your money on the long hunter lid or the long pockets. all you need with that pack is a belt pouch and the possibles pouch it comes with. any more attachments are redundant IMO. other than a grab it for your bow, but more and more i dont think i need even that for a compound. the lash kit will hold it plenty secure.i didnt see you had a field chair listed also. why? sit on the ground and save some weight/space. or a stump, or a rock, or a log, or a tuft of grass or a....

littlebuf

Banned
leaving the pistol behind will save a ton of weight too. im sure ill get flamed for that one but its true

Personally I would leave the tent lantern, the pillow case (not sure why you have it, maybe needed?), the scrubber sponge, and the field chair.
Not sure why you have 3 different water bladders?
All in all looks like you have given quite a bit of thought to what you will be taking.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh I forgot I do have a set of lightweight trekking poles! They are Leki's. I have one water bladder in the pack. And I carry an empty 10L to fill and hang at camp. Pistol stays, had a deliverance moment once in OK with some folks I think were checking their pot fields. May not have that situation in CO, but the memory lingers on. I was glad I had a Beretta 92 that day. Kept everyone on the pleasant side I believe.

I got the Long Hunter Lid and butchered the hell out of it so it is light and just a big pocket. In fact I cut alot things off the T1 (probable make most cringe) in order to keep things light. That is why my pack, Long Hunter lid, and two large belt pockets and a Medium only weights about 6 pounds. And that is with aluminum stays, since I have a semi-flat back and Kifaru doesn't make Composites in a semi-flat.

Bighorse

WKR
I'd leave behind a few items: Sunglasses and spares, Otter box clip, Binos if solo, digital camera, leave out pillow case (use stuff sack), GPS (use your iphone), Insulated cup, field chair,

Add a camp saw/butcher saw and poles.

Good luck what a big adventure for you. Throw an O2 cansiter in there too. Grin!

littlebuf

Banned
i have a T1 and i cant even imagine filling up all those pockets youve got on that thing with the cu the pack has. if you are filling them up you may have a little to much gear on your back. but what ever works for you.

Beastmode

WKR
i have a T1 and i cant even imagine filling up all those pockets youve got on that thing with the cu the pack has. if you are filling them up you may have a little to much gear on your back. but what ever works for you.

What if you are a Sherpa for the wife and kids? :D

mdog

FNG
Looks like a great list with some items to serve as back-up. I would consider the following either/or's:

Either-Labrador sweater Or-Puffy jacket--like this for it's versatility, I sleep in mine with 30 degree bag half the time!

Either-Spotter(Mule Deer) Or-Binos(Elk)--Big, herd animals. Take both scouting as the bow stays behind.

Either-Hunt Mule Deer Or-Hunt Elk-Select one for your hunt. I an opportunity presents itself then?????

Either-Camp shoes Or-Hunt from dark to dark. Eat the big meal mid-day and lunch/snack as you're hiking back to spike camp. Take boots off, wash up, crawl into sleeping bag. Repeat til done!

littlebuf

Banned
What if you are a Sherpa for the wife and kids? :D

did that last year. room to spare....im not trying to knock anybodys system or set up. if its what you like and it works then great. i just know when ordering/planning out a pack you can often over analize what you "need" and imo the T1 is complete with no accessories. i like a belt pouch so i added a med,but it doesnt need it. stock you can pack a weeks worth or more easy.

Attachments

• 8 mile with rea 046.jpg
    8 mile with rea 046.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 136

littlebuf

Banned
granted the pic is me and just my one daughters stuff. but do you know how much a girl can bring with her? espeacialy when moms packing for her! shesh..

Last edited:
i would leave either the iphone or the camera, all the charging gear, all the extra batteries, after a scout trip and you assess water and test things, the 10L maybe, the notepad, the tent lantern and some of the pack pockets. pretty good looking list, pack it all for a high mileage bonzai scouting trip and youll probably bury some of it so ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator

What about coming out with camp, meat, and cape?? I've cubed my T1 out several times doing just that.....

littlebuf

Banned
i can get a deer and camp in my pack. anything bigger is multipule trips any way so it doesnt really matter

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Great input. I am going to re-look at thinks tonight, but I see some weight dropping. I like the perspectives from everyone here. If you did this on another forum you would just get harassed.

Ron

Mike7

WKR
Overall looks like a good list to me. If going in only 3 miles to base camp, this allows you to take some luxuries, but if you want to pack out a boned-out deer in one trip, then it sure is nice having a 40-45 lb pack over a 60-65 lb pack. I would throw in a sewing kit which weighs nothing (esp. for repair of the wool pants).

If going lightweight, I would change the lantern out for a second headlamp (or small tactical light that you can attach to your headlamp band). If you are bringing a bivy, consider a lightweight tarp instead of tent. As far as the pillow goes, one option is a granite gear very lightweight stuff sack to put extra clothes in and it also serves as a comfortable pillow since one side has a patch of attached fleece. Agree with leaving the camera in lieu of taking the phone, but my phone's GPS is not nearly as helpful as the Garmin. I also like having a pair of eyeglasses, so I am not blind at night when the contacts lenses are out, or if you have to go without contact lenses because of a potential eye irritation/infection (the lightweight firm neoprene type eyeglass cases weigh almost nothing). I would bring a second warmer hat to go over a wool beanie for sleep/glassing. Maybe consider two trashbags (can be used as pack liner to throw meat bags in, to place meat bags in creek, as pack/gear cover or meat bag cover in the rain, etc.). And finally, I hope you are small or have a different Eureka 15 deg bag than I tried one time. I had a Eureka Casper I think it was...I had to give it to the kids because although it was rated for someone 6 ft, it was really sized for someone 5'4" and 115 lbs or less.