Oil and Gas Drilling?????

Dead eye

FNG
What are everyones thoughts on the impact of Oil and Gas drilling on our mule deer, antelope and elk herds? I'm from Wyoming and have been around it all my life and was just wondering how other people felt about it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't have any facts, only opinion. Seems like a necessary evil. We need the energy but so much of it is on our federal lands that also host big game herds. Seems once the roads are punched in, the wildife suffers and poaching rises. I've heard of energy companies paying for resotration, but really don't know if its effective.
Interested in learning more...

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing that will affect them is the increase in traffic. The Traffic will just push them off in a different area but they seem to come back when the Rig moves out. A few extra road kills (struck by vehicle) occur but speed limits are set so low and strictly enforced it doesn't seem to happen that much anymore.

As for the Poaching it doesn't happen that often anymore as the Drilling Company's and Oil company's are strictly enforcing no hunting along with no weapons of any type in vehicles.

VANDAL

WKR
This is a little different but same concept...wind energy. What about the impact windmills are having on deer migration routes and wintering areas. There sure are a bunch of them going up in some critical corridors and habitats. I guess I'm not concerned about the loss of habitat but more altering the migration and if some deer avoid these areas due to the sound and movement of the blades. I've watched deer close to windmills and they don't seem to mind- but as we've seen with other species small, often unnoticeable changes that tweek their lifestyles can have a big affect in populations over time.

If anybody has see any research on this I'd be interested to read it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I manage an 11,000 acre ranch for deer/elk hunters and we have 3 turbine windmills. I can't say definitively the windmills disturbe the wildlife, but I can say the maintenence crews do. Just another vehicle and human presence to contend with. Study after study shows most elk are disturbed by roads.

I started a new job recently, working in the gas fields here in western Colorado. I moved from this very area 5 yrs ago when the gas drilling came in. There are more deer here now than I ever saw the 8 yrs. that I lived here. This is there wintering grounds, but they dont seem bothered by all the activity. Ther is also a lot of Elk.

B

bearguide

we live in the oil field, i think it displaces the animals and disrupts there migratory routes while there is increased human presence in the area. after they leave the animals are affected by the increase in roads and access. but if it do it right they can leave improved habitat and water sources for wildlife. they just have to be forced to see wildlife as a high priority.