Oh wow SoCal Heat... Archery Opener... I dunno here...

TheGDog

WKR
Oh wow... Oh man... Ugh... SoCal... I'm starting to have a hard time convincing myself of the usefulness of going out these first 3 days of the Archery Opener...

Current forecasts are like around 110 F for the area I planned on. Farveknugen.. shoot..

I supposed it *can* potentially work in your favor under certain situations?... but wow man... I'm really starting to question if it might not be worth it, health-wise, risk-wise, to just elect to scrub those days and spend some QT with my boy instead escaping the misery of that heat.

I've been out there in 116 F before. But that was just 1 day. Not sure about this 3-day extreme.

I've got 4 Gals water already out there, can bring another 8L-10L tops w/ me. But that's gotta also hydrate the dinners/breakfasts Mountain House meals.

Hrmm... wondering if... since I already took the whole week off, should maybe instead consider heading-in Sunday in the night? That way capitalizing on lotta folks deciding to hang out and party on Labor Day to my benefit and minimize the suffering to just 1 day?

What's everyone elses game plan here?

Gary, with the overnight temps of your hunt area, and the distance you may need to pack out, I (as in me personally) would sit this weekend out.

The bucks are more out in the open during archery... but other than that,,, General season is much more manageable all around if you hunt a good distance from the truck in SoCal..Long packouts are brutal enuf of Sept/Oct...I think I might have died tryin to pack out a buck or bear from some of my deep spots in Aug. I decided to wait this year and use more time off during general.

Well shoot... since BubbleHide is the human incarnation of a Mountain Goat... (I'm totally not kidding) whom I've had the amazement and good fortune to accompany him (eternally play catch-up with?) on journeys into the wild that literally started off with like basically a multi-hundred ft ascent where he was diggin' footholds for us into the "wall" of a hillside it was... with a shovel... and me holding a flashlight so he can see do to it amid the dust-storm it created in the night... I'm thinking it might be wise here to humbly bow-down outta these first few days then.

That was a long time ago Gary. Now, my knees are bad along with ...
I call BS... you weren't even doping up like the rest of us poor shmucks with the arthur-rittiss~!

Bet all you'd have to do is get an Rx for either maybe Ketoprofen (Orudis KT)... or maybe Celoxcib (Celebrex) and you'd be straight man. You just gotta understand that a liver can only do soo much, so ya gotta make adjustments to your life style and go lightly on booze/wine/etc. Which I already kinda do now anyway since everything under the sun gives my "Fatassi" self acid reflux. Not saying I don't still enjoy a good Whiskey. But I just gotta be more judicious about it, and prepare for it with acid-blockers... otherwise I'd reflux up stuff that could melt the rust off a Chrome Bumper-Hitch!

I call BS... you weren't even doping up like the rest of us poor shmucks with the arthur-rittiss~!

Bet all you'd have to do is get an Rx for either maybe Ketoprofen (Orudis KT)... or maybe Celoxcib (Celebrex) and you'd be straight man. You just gotta understand that a liver can only do soo much, so ya gotta make adjustments to your life style and go lightly on booze/wine/etc. Which I already kinda do now anyway since everything under the sun gives my "Fatassi" self acid reflux. Not saying I don't still enjoy a good Whiskey. But I just gotta be more judicious about it, and prepare for it with acid-blockers... otherwise I'd reflux up stuff that could melt the rust off a Chrome Bumper-Hitch!
I go in for arthroscopic surgery in November for my right knee. The left will be after that.

I have acid reflux too, for a few decades now.

The only way you can hunt for three days in 110+ weather is if you spent a couple months acclimating to it first. If not, dont do it

Back