Off hand shooting

Macintosh

WKR
Ditto. I can generally make about a 3moa offhand group at the range with my hunting rifle. I have made a perfect 110yard offhand shot on a fast, fleeting opportunity on a deer, and I have missed a 35 yard shot on a deer when I was out of breath and didnt settle enough. I wouldnt have said I was capable of that miss, but I did it. I’m pretty methodical about taking offhand shots now and will find almost anything more stable to avoid it regardless of the range, but sometimes its the only option.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Ok that’s about where I feel comfortable as well. I was talking with some guys at work and they were saying never over 100 and I had to disagree

2ski

WKR
I mean I would question why you don't have time to drop to a knee for the shot if it's far enough away. At 50 yards I can see the need for a quick shot and the closeness and the assumed tight window. At 200 yards you're having to aquire the target with more time which given an equal window of the 50 yard shot means you don't really have time to make an ethical shot. If you do have time to aquire the target in the sights I would argue you can do that while dropping to a knee and then did you need to take the offhand shot?

Diced

WKR
Maybe 100 yards or so at most. Much farther and I'm dropping down to a knee or bracing off a tree or something.

KenLee

WKR
I mean I would question why you don't have time to drop to a knee for the shot if it's far enough away. At 50 yards I can see the need for a quick shot and the closeness and the assumed tight window. At 200 yards you're having to aquire the target with more time which given an equal window of the 50 yard shot means you don't really have time to make an ethical shot. If you do have time to aquire the target in the sights I would argue you can do that while dropping to a knee and then did you need to take the offhand shot?
I don't have any local game animals trained to stand still and wait to be shot. If I'm on the ground, it's usually shoot now or never. There is also normally some type of brush or high weeds/grass between us which prevents a clear shot from the knee.
Between coyotes and other hunters, all game is usually skittish.
Practice and ability means what's not ethical to some may be a cakewalk for others.

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, visibility is what I was referring to as forcing an offhand shot, not time (as much). It’s pretty common to have a shot at, say, 75 to 100 yards, where you only have a very narrow window of visibility, and moving to a tree or to a knee puts the animal out of sight completely behind vegetation. But as I take more time, I have lost out on several opportunities as Ive tried to get a more stable rest. Probably I could have hit it, but maybe not or a bad hit. I’m ok with taking longer and maybe missing a few opportunities.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah off knee is definitely an improvement but I still consider that a form of off hand shooting. Obviously not as stable as a true rest. I also wrap my sling around my arm and use that to stabilize as well when I can

2ski

WKR
I don't have any local game animals trained to stand still and wait to be shot. If I'm on the ground, it's usually shoot now or never. There is also normally some type of brush or high weeds/grass between us which prevents a clear shot from the knee.
Between coyotes and other hunters, all game is usually skittish.
Practice and ability means what's not ethical to some may be a cakewalk for others.
Nowhere did I mention game animals are trained to stand still.

I can't be there to see the conditions you're talking about and to give you my opinion on how I'd set up on the animal. So I'll take you at your word that you're not stealthy enough to set up on a better shot. That last part was a joke. Lol

I agree with you practice and ability can be the difference between ethical and non ethical. At the same time, and not saying this is you, there's too many flat brims where arrogance determines what they think is ethical and not.

Back when I had time and a life, I shot alot. Chasing cans or clay birds at 200 yards was not a big deal.

These days that isnt going to happen lol. Need to go up and spend some time in the rock pits, maybe walk a few clear cuts shooting digger squirrels. Get tuned back up

KenLee

WKR
Nowhere did I mention game animals are trained to stand still.

I can't be there to see the conditions you're talking about and to give you my opinion on how I'd set up on the animal. So I'll take you at your word that you're not stealthy enough to set up on a better shot. That last part was a joke. Lol

I agree with you practice and ability can be the difference between ethical and non ethical. At the same time, and not saying this is you, there's too many flat brims where arrogance determines what they think is ethical and not.
Nothing stealthy about me these days, and never was very.
Here in the Southeastern US, if you are walking in/out or slipping around its usually take the shot now, or your target is 3 properties over in about 30 seconds. Calm is definitely not in a mature whitetail's nature here.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Wonder how many archery guys take a rest?
Who is ethically shooting animals with their bow over 100 yards?

I didn't watch the cold bow challenge closely this year, but I'm guessing nobody chose 100 yards as their MER.

To the OP:

This question is easy to answer for each person. Try it and find out. Shoot one shot at a 10" circle standing at whatever range you choose as your first shot every time you go to the range. You will know within a few trips what your limit should be.