Odds of killing a wolf

How many days to kill a wolf in the GYE

• Total voters

Deadfall

WKR
Not sure what's happened this year, sure am glad to see the influx of people hunting wolves or atleast getting more into it. Even had some locals to house getting information and ramping up efforts.

As for number of days...thats impossible to answer

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about you guys, but December and January are always kind of a come down for me. It’s a time when the days get short and the hunting opportunity is pretty lean. Sure they’re are fun things to do in the winter. I enjoy trapping, ice fishing and bird hunting, but nothing really scratches my adventure itch like big game hunting. Winter’s a great time to scout the winter ranges and go after predators. I’ve put a few days in trying to kill a wolf over the years, but have never really dedicated much time to it. Not surprisingly I’ve never seen a wolf during an open season. That got me down the harvest stats rabbit hole. It looks like only 1-2% of wolf tags get filled via hunting. I know trappers kill their fair share, but wolves killed via hunting are really low. I’m sure a lot of that is from lack of participation during prime months. It’s tough hunting in deep snow and cold temps. This has me wondering, how many days of hunting during the winter months would it realistically take to get an opportunity on one in the GYE?
Just my opinion: but I think wolf hunting in the lower 48 has not matured yet. As the media and forums start to discuss wolf hunting there will be more participants. If one truly wants to hunt and harvest a wolf the best odds are Canada hands down. Should be about a 50% chance on a 10 day hunt.

I have walked up on a pack of wolves laying on a sandy road after I topped a small rise and watched them until the wind changed. I was fishing at the time.

Shot one from over a bear bait but only got one lung and did not recover the wolf. One of the saddest days of hunting I ever had as it was a beautiful blond animal and I am sure it was a difficult death. I could have killed its mate but I was using a muzzleloaders and could not get reloaded in time.

Planning a return trip North of the border soon.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a time game in my opinion. I have a few buddies that have it dialed, but they spend an incredible amount of time on it. I personally have spent hundreds of days guiding and hunting in Idaho and Montana, and have only been on two wolf kills. There was a third opportunity, but was clearing trail and did not have a rifle.