October Temps?

jaym_100

FNG
Looking at gohunt and the historical temperatures in the area have between 50 and 30 in October. The terrain goes from 4,000 feet to 12,700 feet. Does anyone know where they are recording these temperatures from? Its Utah and I'm just wondering what to expect for temperature.

WTFJohn

WKR
Looking at gohunt and the historical temperatures in the area have between 50 and 30 in October. The terrain goes from 4,000 feet to 12,700 feet. Does anyone know where they are recording these temperatures from? Its Utah and I'm just wondering what to expect for temperature.

Go use a NOAA point forecast in that area and it will give you the nearest meteorological station location. The data from there may or may not be valid where you're hunting.

For temperature expect anything from 20* to over 70*, from snowy to windy to sunny to rainy. Until you're a week or so out (when the forecast closes in on reality), you need to be prepared for any type of weather.

I live over 8,000 ft with the nearest weather station double digit mileage away. The temps and weather shown there can be drastically different than here; we had 5 days of frost over the 4th of July that did not show on any weather forecasts (forecasted lows in mid 40s).

Dave0317

WKR
Usually the nearest town. I’ve found that the rule I was taught held true, subtract 4 degrees for every 1,000 feet of elevation gain. So if the town says it will be 30 at night, and they are at 7k ft, and you camp at 10k ft, expect it to get down to about 18 at night. And keep in mind local geography can affect that. If you are in a draw at 10k, and the mountain top above you has snow on it, that cold air may flow downhill and be even colder than you expected.

Weather Underground has historic weather data for specific towns, look up the town elevation and then do the math above for your likely camping elevations.

Hope that gets you in the ballpark!

SonnyDay

WKR
Be prepared for 70 and sunny… and 0 and blowing snow. Within an hour.

Have fun!

WTFJohn

WKR
Usually the nearest town. I’ve found that the rule I was taught held true, subtract 4 degrees for every 1,000 feet of elevation gain. So if the town says it will be 30 at night, and they are at 7k ft, and you camp at 10k ft, expect it to get down to about 18 at night. And keep in mind local geography can affect that. If you are in a draw at 10k, and the mountain top above you has snow on it, that cold air may flow downhill and be even colder than you expected.

Weather Underground has historic weather data for specific towns, look up the town elevation and then do the math above for your likely camping elevations.

Hope that gets you in the ballpark!
This will generally hold true (adiabatic temperature change). Just beware that the data you look at is only as good as what goes into it. If you input our nearest town, you will get data from the same weather station that is miles away (and 1500 ft higher in elevation, 1k above our place).

This was one of my frost-covered irrigation tarps this morning, forecast temps are inline with historic averages (45*/75*). Be prepared for temperatures outside of the historic averages (on both sides).

For example, this NOAA Point Forecast is for 39.112, 107.066. If you look close under the Current Conditions At section, you will see it's pulling current data from the Pitkin County Airport, over 18 miles away and 4,000 ft lower in elevation.

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Go use a NOAA point forecast in that area and it will give you the nearest meteorological station location. The data from there may or may not be valid where you're hunting.

For temperature expect anything from 20* to over 70*, from snowy to windy to sunny to rainy. Until you're a week or so out (when the forecast closes in on reality), you need to be prepared for any type of weather.

I live over 8,000 ft with the nearest weather station double digit mileage away. The temps and weather shown there can be drastically different than here; we had 5 days of frost over the 4th of July that did not show on any weather forecasts (forecasted lows in mid 40s).

That's the website.

Type in nearest city. Let it load. Scroll down to the map and go to wherever you'll be at. Tap the screen at the spot and the weather will load. Then save that as a favorite. Of all the weather as and websites it is by far the most accurate I have found.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk