October elk

First time hunting elk in October. Unit ranges from 4500-7000 feet. I’d assume higher elevations will have snow by early October. Looking for pointers on elevation elk will be at that point.

I know it's beat to death but elk are where you find them I've killed them at the edge of a hay field in September and knee deep snow high while hunting mule deer in November. That being said personal experience has led me to the conclusion that if it's early October I'll hunt them mid elevation and find cows because alot of times they are still bugling. Late October if there is now snow is hunt mid to high and look for the nastiest blow down hell hole with decent graze near by. Sorry if that doesn't help at all

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Scout, locate and hunt. They will be where the best combination of food, water, shelter and lack of pressure meet.

Elevation is somewhat of a predictor when it comes to snow level or where particular forage is growing. But the same forage can grow 8500 to 10,500.

Think if it as a wack a mole game. The mole always wants to be safe and be out of its hole to eat, but it has to continually move and change its predictability so it can survive.

Once you figure this out, in general, and in a specific area, your success on elk will be nearly 100% with a rifle.

Back