Objective style scope cap for eyepiece?

Loper

WKR
I’ve been looking at the flip open scope caps from Butler Creek for a SWFA 3-9x40.

I have a set of these covers on a different scope for a rifle I don’t use much and was looking at the eyepiece cover. It seems like the red flipper could easily get hit unintentionally and break while hiking in the mountains.

For the eyepiece cover I think I’d prefer the same style cover that is used on the objective. Has anyone used two objective style covers on both ends of their scope? If so, what objective size would I need to use on the eyepiece of the SWFA 3-9x40?

Macintosh

WKR
I have used objective style covers on the eye piece. It works fine. The only thing you lose is the ability to pop it open with your thumb without changing your grip. If you are expecting quick shots and only using the cover because its raining or snowing, you may not like it. If you have more than a split second to open the caps, you’ll probably wonder what the fuss is about.

Ive used a few more $ caps and keep coming back to the butler creek ones. They seem junky, but have never broken one even in extremely cold wx. It can pop open inadvertantly, although that has been an extreme rarity for me. You can spin the cap so the red button is on or near the bottom of the ocular if you want—the button is less likely to get hit in that position.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I have used objective style covers on the eye piece. It works fine. The only thing you lose is the ability to pop it open with your thumb without changing your grip. If you are expecting quick shots and only using the cover because its raining or snowing, you may not like it. If you have more than a split second to open the caps, you’ll probably wonder what the fuss is about.
Good to know that I’m not the only one who has thought to do this and it can be accomplished.

How did you identify which objective cap to use for the eye piece? Did you just measure the outside diameter and search through Butler Creek’s website to find one that may fit?

I don’t expect to be taking a split second shot. Even if so, I’ll be having to flip the objective cover up too, so it won’t be that quick.
Ive used a few more $ caps and keep coming back to the butler creek ones. They seem junky, but have never broken one even in extremely cold wx. It can pop open inadvertantly, although that has been an extreme rarity for me. You can spin the cap so the red button is on or near the bottom of the ocular if you want—the button is less likely to get hit in that position.
If I can’t find an objective style that may fit, spinning the cover around is an excellent idea. So simple, but I didn’t think to do this. Thanks!

Macintosh

WKR
Yep, they are all listed by size. Just measure and get that size. Scope manufacturer usually has a measurements diagram for each model as well.