Oatmeal

I found some variety. What's unique in your area?
41f66637a6cfdd274291a896ef5db919.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have no idea, but about every 10 years or so I try to convince myself that oatmeal really isn't all that bad and would make an easy nutritious breakfast while hunting. I'll throw in fruit, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts........and I still can't choke it down. My throat immediately closes up and it's not getting anywhere near it.

Good luck with whatever you find. I'll stick to the cookie form of oatmeal.

Big fan of steel cut oats. Buy it 25 lbs at a time off ebay or amazon. The oats require 20-25 minutes of cook time. The stuff you found is instant?

I use 1 pack of the Great Value (walmart) fruity type oats and 1/2 cup of plain reg 1min oats every morning. I leave to work at 2:15 am so its ez and convienient. Also last weekend i took them on our scout trip and was really ez with the jetboil

Last edited:

TheBuzz

FNG
Hmm instant Steel Cut!....gotta find a box of that. I tried Steel Cut, think it's a bit more nutritious, costs more, and cooking takes more time, but tastes different, a Nutty flavor.
I eat oatmeal year round.........Eggs, are getting pricey.

Hmm instant Steel Cut!....gotta find a box of that. I tried Steel Cut, think it's a bit more nutritious, costs more, and cooking takes more time, but tastes different, a Nutty flavor.
I eat oatmeal year round.........Eggs, are getting pricey.

Do some snooping on ebay or amazon. Will find it for just over dollar pound for larger quantities. Keeps well in freezer

Count me as an oatmeal addict. I'm not fussy about the brand as long as it's Quaker Instant Oatmeal. I bring enough raisins to add 1/4 cup to each bowl of oatmeal. Sometimes I might bring dry milk and add a good shot of powder to the oatmeal before adding water. On a few occasions in base camp I've added 1/2 tbsp of butter to a bowl of oatmeal and the effect is magic. So is a drop or two of vanilla extract if you like vanilla flavoring.

The little empty oatmeal packets make great fire-starters too. :D

xrangerx

WKR
Big fan of steel cut oats. Buy it 25 lbs at a time off ebay or amazon. The oats require 20-25 minutes of cook time. The stuff you found is instant?

Bob's Red Mill makes a quick cooking steel cut (Bob's is local though so I'm not sure of its nationwide distribution), its great stuff!

My wife stuck me with some Trader Joe's instant oatmeal. It was "soy enriched". I'm sure that it would've been very nutritious if it could've been choked down. It had this slimey consistency to it that made me think of someone scraping copious amounts of slime off of a Northern Pike into a bowl of oatmeal.

The only reason to ever buy that stuff would be to pull a very cruel prank on someone in the backcountry.

Love oatmeal, Big fan of the instant fruit kinds although I have never seen the flavors posted by the OP.

I have just recently tried it without heating them and like it even better than hot.

LitenFast

WKR
For steel cut outs lovers, my wife just started cooking a large bowl of it in a slow cooker over night. She puts water in the slow cooker and then puts the ceramic bowl in the water to make a double boiler with the oats inside and water/milk. Then I think it's just on low all night.
Then we have enough for the week in that bowl that she just throws in the refrigerator and we scoop out how much we want into a bowl, add some fruit, nuts, etc. and a splash of milk and microwave in for a minute. It makes it very convenient and being able to vary what you add in keeps it from getting too boring

boom

WKR
Bob's Red Mill makes a quick cooking steel cut (Bob's is local though so I'm not sure of its nationwide distribution), its great stuff!

the five minute version is delicious..i eat it everyday. i do this EVERYDAY:

i have a stanley food thermos. 1/3 cup of the bob's stuff. pinch of dry cranberries, a pinch of walnut..dump in the hot water and lid it. put it on the outside pocket of my lunch box and drive to work. by the time i get there, it is so tender and great. eat it up!! been doing this for maybe 2 years. every single workday. i found a better version, but i have to mail order it. Rolands!! so good..nuttier.

but the Bobs i can get a big big bag at Costco.

boom

WKR
backpacking, i eat the plain packages of instant oatmeal. the convenience outweighs all the flavor cons...i double bag my portions. plain.

keeps me "regular".

I'm new to the backpacking world but I've found a blueberry muffin flavored variety that is considerably better than any of the other instant type oats that I've tried. The brand name is 'Better Oats' and it turns out much more like oatmeal at home, opposed to instant gruel. I also bring a small bag of raisins to add in.

Have any of you guys tried adding a scoop of protein powder to instant oats in the backcountry? I was thinking about pre-packaging quart freezer bags with two packets of instant oats, about half cup of raisins and a scoop of protein. I would love to bring some of the mass gainer type with me but hate what it does to my blender bottles.

My girlfriend has also come up with a recipe for monster cookies in which we use about 2/3 box of quaker oats, 1 jar of peanut butter, about half jar of nutella or dark chocolate chips and only minimal brown suger and the other usuals, eggs, etc. Anyway, they turn out like oat-peanut butter hockey pucks of energy and eating one is about the same as an instant breakfast with no prep/clean-up.