NXS vs NX8 vs ATACR

bfred44

FNG
Currently building a long range hunting rifle and starting to look at optics. Looking at pros and cons of the three main Nightforce rifle lines. Thank you.

Hoggetter

FNG
ATACR the best but heavy typically 39 ounces, the PRS guys love this scope
NXS Old reliable, but typically 31 ounces.
Has a smaller field of view than the nx8
NX8 a lightweight upgraded version of the nxs, Probably the best for a hunting rifle, coming in at 29 ounces

I just picked up a 4-16 ATACR. I’ve got a few 4-32 NX8’s.

The ATACR definitely has a more generous eye box. The glass looks a little more clear. Also it isn’t 39oz. The ocular rotates when zooming in/out. In my head it’s a con. But I haven’t used it enough to say if it is or not yet.

The NX8 is a few ounces lighter. The ocular doesn’t rotate when zooming. It has more magnification but I hardly shoot past 15ish. The eye box is tighter. The glass might not be quite as good. It’s less expensive.

I’ve never had an issue killing with the NX8. I doubt it will really make a difference which scope I use overall. If you don’t think the ocular rotating will bother you I would think about the ATACR.

IdahoBeav

WKR
The 4-16x42 ATACR is 30 oz. The 4-32x50 NX8 is not even 2 oz lighter.

NXS is all 2nd focal plane.

I wouldn't rule out the SHV 4-14x50.

I have an NXS 5.5-22x56 and an NX8 4-32x50. I have spent quite a bit of time behind the 5-25 ATACR. I am a SFP guy, and I really like the NXS. It is a sweet scope that is bullet proof.

mthayr

WKR
I have the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the ATACR 4-16x50 (both SFP). ATACR is, as you'd expect, a slightly sharper image. Never had issues with the eyebox of either. If you're building a lightweight mountain-type rifle I'd suggest the NXS, if its a truck gun, the ATACR is great. Both are built like a tanks and have nice tactile turrets, though the ATACR is nicer in that regard. The ocular bell turning for zoom on the ATACR takes a little getting used to but I don't see it as a "con'.

OP
B

bfred44

FNG
I just picked up a 4-16 ATACR. I’ve got a few 4-32 NX8’s.

The ATACR definitely has a more generous eye box. The glass looks a little more clear. Also it isn’t 39oz. The ocular rotates when zooming in/out. In my head it’s a con. But I haven’t used it enough to say if it is or not yet.

The NX8 is a few ounces lighter. The ocular doesn’t rotate when zooming. It has more magnification but I hardly shoot past 15ish. The eye box is tighter. The glass might not be quite as good. It’s less expensive.

I’ve never had an issue killing with the NX8. I doubt it will really make a difference which scope I use overall. If you don’t think the ocular rotating will bother you I would think about the ATACR.
I could see where that ocular rotating would take a bit to getting used to if ever. So for an overall pick you would probably stick to your NX8’s?

OP
B

bfred44

FNG
The 4-16x42 ATACR is 30 oz. The 4-32x50 NX8 is not even 2 oz lighter.

NXS is all 2nd focal plane.

I wouldn't rule out the SHV 4-14x50.
Sounds like the NX8 would be the best overall decision with the better magnification and 2oz lighter. Would be giving up some glass quality though.

OP
B

bfred44

FNG
I have the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the ATACR 4-16x50 (both SFP). ATACR is, as you'd expect, a slightly sharper image. Never had issues with the eyebox of either. If you're building a lightweight mountain-type rifle I'd suggest the NXS, if its a truck gun, the ATACR is great. Both are built like a tanks and have nice tactile turrets, though the ATACR is nicer in that regard. The ocular bell turning for zoom on the ATACR takes a little getting used to but I don't see it as a "con'.
It’s going to be half a truck gun half a mountain gun. It is more appealing that the ATACR has a better image. Would you be willing to say that the NX8 is a happy medium between the NXS and the ATACR?

OP
B

bfred44

FNG
I have an NXS 5.5-22x56 and an NX8 4-32x50. I have spent quite a bit of time behind the 5-25 ATACR. I am a SFP guy, and I really like the NXS. It is a sweet scope that is bullet proof.
For the small amount of price difference in the big picture would you go with the NX8 over the NXS?

mthayr

WKR
It’s going to be half a truck gun half a mountain gun. It is more appealing that the ATACR has a better image. Would you be willing to say that the NX8 is a happy medium between the NXS and the ATACR?
The NX8 is an NXS with a higher magnification range and a narrower eyebox. Hence the NX...

I'm personally not a fan.

OP
B

bfred44

FNG
The NX8 is an NXS with a higher magnification range and a narrower eyebox. Hence the NX...

I'm personally not a fan.
I guess I’ve never heard of it put that way but makes good sense for sure. Thank you.

OP
B

bfred44

FNG
ATACR the best but heavy typically 39 ounces, the PRS guys love this scope
NXS Old reliable, but typically 31 ounces.
Has a smaller field of view than the nx8
NX8 a lightweight upgraded version of the nxs, Probably the best for a hunting rifle, coming in at 29 ounces
Which magnification models are you basing the ounces off of? Seems to be a big jump from the NX8/NXS to ATACR as far as ounces.

wapitibob

WKR
The nx8 has better glass to my eyes and better parallax adj than the 22x nxs I had. The nxs eye piece turning with power adj is a non issue if you leave it on a fixed power, which I did. The nx8 32x eye box was never an issue till I started shooting from prone then had to re adjust the scope location.

Hoggetter

FNG
Which magnification models are you basing the ounces off of? Seems to be a big jump from the NX8/NXS to ATACR as far as ounces.
ATACR-F1 5-25x56 = 38oz-39oz
NXS 5.5-22x50 = 31oz
NX8-F1 4-32x50 = 28oz-29oz
I switched all 8 of my hunting rifles that had nxs scopes over to the nx8. And yes the atacr in the same power focal range is the best hands down but heavy, Yes the atacr 4-16 is close in weight but you give up field of view.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Sounds like the NX8 would be the best overall decision with the better magnification and 2oz lighter. Would be giving up some glass quality though.
16x is more than enough for any big game hunting scenario. I had a 25x ATACR. I never went above 10x in the field. I have a 20x ATACR new in the box that will be going on my rifle hopefully any day now, just waiting to get it back from the gunsmith. The only reason I got the 20x instead of the 16x is because it's a 50 mm objective instead of 42, and my ring height will fit 50 mm.

Personally, I don't see any reason for the 32x and 35x scopes.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk