NX8 4x32x50 vs ATACR 4-16-42

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you @Formidilosus for all of the extensive reviews, although they will cost me some $. I'm going to sell my new SFP Leica 3-18x Amplus 6 and move to FFP MiL reticle in an ATACR 4-16 or the Maven RS1.2. I read in one of the many scope threads that the Maven renders the Trijicon Tenmile obsolete so I scratched that from the list. The Maven is out of stock for a while and the ATACR is ~$800 more at ~$2,100 so I am torn.

If anyone has other FFP, Mil reticle scopes I should consider please let me know. Will use to hunt at 0-600 yards and steel for fun out to 1000yds. Will hunt Coues, Mule deer, elk, coyotes and want an all purpose and very durable scope. I would love to try a competition at some point but my main focus is hunting.
What’s wrong with the Amplus?

I’ve been waiting to see somebody drop test one before making up my mind, but I’ve been really pleased with mine in the short term. I’ve only got about 60 rds down the tube with it over a couple years, but I took one heck of a tumble packing out an elk with mine, rifle first into the frozen dirt, and didn’t seem to move the zero at all.

I’d love to see a drop test so I can make up my mind for good on it.

I’ve been waiting to see somebody drop test one before making up my mind, but I’ve been really pleased with mine in the short term.

What's stopping you from testing it? Or sending it in to be tested?

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
What's stopping you from testing it? Or sending it in to be tested?
Nothing other than amateurism and a lack of time. And probably the lack of desire to have results criticized by one faction or another who happens to be unhappy with the results. From my limited observations, it seems only @Formidilosus tests are really taken at face value.

I do have a spare Amplus 6 I picked up for another build that I could send in though.

Axlrod

WKR
Nothing other than amateurism and a lack of time. And probably the lack of desire to have results criticized by one faction or another who happens to be unhappy with the results. From my limited observations, it seems only @Formidilosus tests are really taken at face value.

I do have a spare Amplus 6 I picked up for another build that I could send in though.
Very gracious offer! @Ryan Avery ?

SDHNTR

WKR

Please do! I'd love to see how that scope does.

mrcvelo

FNG

I’ve been waiting to see somebody drop test one before making up my mind, but I’ve been really pleased with mine in the short term. I’ve only got about 60 rds down the tube with it over a couple years, but I took one heck of a tumble packing out an elk with mine, rifle first into the frozen dirt, and didn’t seem to move the zero at all.

I like the Amplus a lot. I bought it 2 months ago and the glass and L-4W reticle is great. The only reason I want to sell is due to SFP. My son has a tag and he works the scope zoom when we are in the field while I give him wind calls. Some times he's not zoomed entirely which throws off the wind holds. His first hunt is coming up this fall and I want to eliminate chances for error and given the scope is new and in mint condition I figure it's easiest to sell now and move to FFP instead of take it out more, scratch it, and sell for far less. It's also MOA and I think I'll get Mil for next scope to match my other scopes.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I much prefer the mil Amplus reticles that I got early on vs the MOA that I got in 3-18 on my 6mm ARC. Too bad, it doesn’t look like they’re doing the mil scopes anymore.

Agc05

FNG
Of either NX8 and the 4-16x42 ATACR, the 4-16x42 ATACR is the better scope.

The MK5 is nice, and granted I haven't spent as much time with it, but I don’t think it is on par with the ATACR.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an ATACR 4-16x42 on my Tikka CTR. Super nice scope, easy to get behind, good in low light, tracks well and doesn’t lose zero, though it is a little heavy. I don’t know anything about the NX8.