NX8 4x32x50 vs ATACR 4-16-42

Found both of these scopes for the same price. atac r being lightly used. Wanting to use it for long range hunting. not worried about the weight differences. worried the atacr wont have enough zoom for longer range hunting. Should this be a concern? what one eould you go with? looking for advice from eople that have owned both. The atacR is equpped with the mil r reticle. would go with the mil c reticle on the nx8.

any advice is appreciated

NX8 is lighter, glass is good enough, better reticle imo.

When I shoot PRS I hardly ever go over 18x on my nx8 4-32, most the time I live in 13-16x

32 is nice for load development, zeroing, and prone shooting past 1k yds. But still I bet most shots at that distance I don't go over 22-24

Ive looked through atacrs and they have better glass. I don't own one but I own the 2.5 and 4x nx8 and their great hunting scopes you can trust.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Found both of these scopes for the same price. atac r being lightly used. Wanting to use it for long range hunting. not worried about the weight differences. worried the atacr wont have enough zoom for longer range hunting. Should this be a concern? what one eould you go with? looking for advice from eople that have owned both. The atacR is equpped with the mil r reticle. would go with the mil c reticle on the nx8.

any advice is appreciated
The eye box on the NX8 is so finicky at max magnification that its really not worth it. I dumped it and got a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 instead. Lighter weight, tracks great, great glass.. plus Vortex Warranty is unmatched.

NSI

WKR
I love my baby ATACR (mil-XT on an m110 SASS clone) and don't feel you will want more mag in field conditions. Tracking the shot is more valuable than uber zoom IMHO.

The Mil-R is generally accepted as the most hunting-friendly of the NF reticles, which isn't saying much.

-J

This won’t age well.
Why not? I never said that the vortex was the same quality. But that eye box is a fuggin joke on the NX8. Not rocket science that an 8x magnification scope is going to have a finickier eye box than a 4-5x scope like the ATACR

dmc

FNG
I own them both and don't think you can make a bad decision, but for even money would probably go atacr. Weight seems negligible to me. The only time I'm using the high end on the nx8 is when using it as a spotting scope. Nx8 eyebox hasn't been an issue for me personally. And 16x seems plenty for my long range hunting.

I own them both and don't think you can make a bad decision, but for even money would probably go atacr. Weight seems negligible to me. The only time I'm using the high end on the nx8 is when using it as a spotting scope. Nx8 eyebox hasn't been an issue for me personally. And 16x seems plenty for my long range hunting.
That eyebox gets incredibly tight at max magnification on the NX8. If your eye isn't perfectly center you're going to get a black shadow. There's really no way around that on an 8x multiplier optic. If the OP is dead set on a nightforce, the ATACR is the way to go.

RussDXT

WKR
Why not? I never said that the vortex was the same quality. But that eye box is a fuggin joke on the NX8. Not rocket science that an 8x magnification scope is going to have a finickier eye box than a 4-5x scope like the ATACR

I have several,
1. You don’t ever shoot at hi mag anyway.
2. Eye box issues on the NX8 are largely overblown. Either you have good mechanics or you don’t.
3. No vortex scope holds up to the drop evals, and having owned many and no longer do Id trade a slightly tighter eye box for a scope that works and does not loose zero by riding in a truck.
4. Having switched to SWFA, NF, and Trijicon I haven’t used any warranty once (with a larger sample size of scopes). With vortex I sent back almost every scope several times. Vortex is a marketing company that happens to sell scopes.

I have several,
1. You don’t ever shoot at hi mag anyway.
2. Eye box issues on the NX8 are largely overblown. Either you have good mechanics or you don’t.
3. No vortex scope holds up to the drop evals, and having owned many and no longer do Id trade a slightly tighter eye box for a scope that works and does not loose zero by riding in a truck.
4. Having switched to SWFA, NF, and Trijicon I haven’t used any warranty once (with a larger sample size of scopes). With vortex I sent back almost every scope several times. Vortex is a marketing company that happens to sell scopes.
1. Why have the high mag if you're never going to use it then.
2. The eyebox issues are not overblown. It also has nothing to do with nightforce and everything to do with it being an 8x multiplied optic. You're going to run into the exact same problem with any other manufacturers that do a 8x multiplied optic. This is why I suggested the OP go the ATACR route because it's only a 4-5x multiplied optic, and the eyebox is so much more forgiving at high magnification.
3. Again, I never said the vortex razor lht was as bomb proof as the nightforce, but it is a more than capable hunting optic. I've also never had to warranty one either, nor have I ever had one lose zero from riding in the truck. Man, I don't know we managed to hunt before these $2500 nightforces came along lol.
4. Fair, but if anything ever does go wrong with your NF, they're going to tell you its your problem and you gotta buy a new one. Had lots of buddies in competition find out their Leupolds and NF aren't impervious to being ran hard, and then find out they won't warranty the optic.

Last edited:

RussDXT

WKR
1. Why have the high mag if you're never going to use it then.
2. The eyebox issues are not overblown. It also has nothing to do with nightforce and everything to do with it being an 8x multiplied optic. You're going to run into the exact same problem with any other manufacturers that do a 8x multiplied optic. This is why I suggested the OP go the ATACR route because it's only a 4-5x multiplied optic, and the eyebox is so much more forgiving at high magnification.
3. Again, I never said the vortex razor lht was as bomb proof as the nightforce, but it is a more than capable hunting optic. I've also never had to warranty one either, nor have I ever had one lose zero from riding in the truck. Man, I don't know we managed to hunt before these $2500 nightforces came along lol.
4. Fair, but if anything ever does go wrong with your NF, they're going to tell you its your problem and you gotta buy a new one. Had lots of buddies in competition find out their Leupolds and NF aren't impervious to being ran hard, and then find out they won't warranty the optic.

I’m super happy you’re happy with your setup. I hope it continues. Once I switched to non vortex scopes and 10 rd zeros it became drama free to travel and know the scope is on.

It’s insurance, but came at a cost for sure.

I’m super happy you’re happy with your setup. I hope it continues. Once I switched to non vortex scopes and 10 rd zeros it became drama free to travel and know the scope is on.

It’s insurance, but came at a cost for sure.
I guess I've just never really had that issue. My scopes always hold zero except for my leupolds. I've had Burris, Vortex, Nightforce, Nikon, Zeiss, etc and none of them have had a problem holding a zero. This idea that you have to spend $2500 on an optic for it to hold zero is bizarre to me.... especially when guys are able to fill their freezers every year with setups that dont even amount to half of that amount lol. It seems more like guys needing to validate a $2500 optic purchase, but that's just me. Like I said, not sure how we were ever able to hunt without these NF optics before. We must've just been lucky.

Last edited:
Vortex is a marketing company that happens to sell scopes.
The irony of this statement is that much of the Nightforce reputation for bulletproof durability is based on their very aggressive marketing about it. We've all seen the picture of the NF scope in Afghanistan with a bullet through the tube, or the video of the guy freezing one in a block of ice then abusing it. I'll even concede that I believe they're better at retaining zero than most other scopes. They do break though, I know a couple of guys who have had their ATACR turrets break from regular match use.

I wish NF would do a revamp of their ATACR line because it's pretty outdated and could use new glass (color isn't great, depth of focus is just okay, FOV sucks), new zerostop system, and an ocular that doesn't annoyingly rotate. I recently bought an ATACR 5-25x56 for what will end up being a PRS rifle and ended up returning it (and ordering another Razor G3) because the stepdown in optical quality was too steep for hypothetical durability increase. The exception would be the ATACR 7-35x56 because it does have different glass or optical coatings or whatever, bottom line is its image quality is way better than all other ATACR scopes. It does have a fair bit narrower FOV compared to the R3 but that's not the end of the world.

I think the mythologizing of the Nightforce durability allows them to be complacent in the market because they can coast on just that. When what I'd love for them to do is to make it easy to choose them especially in the over $2,000 price range. This is mainly just a bit of a gripe but push comes to shove, my next hunting scope will likely be an ATACR 4-16. I just held off for this past scope purchase because it was more for range/match use.

Edit: Looks like there's a like-new demo ATACR F1 4-16 with the Mil-C reticle at Euro for $2100 in case the used ATACR you were looking at is near that price.

Last edited:
I have a 4-32 NX8. I have never shot it above 15-16x when hunting, only to zero at 100 yards using 1” dot targets.

I vote 4-16 ATACR.

I have a 5-25 ATACR that I am considering selling or swapping for a 4-20 ATACR for the reason listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gringo76

FNG
The ATACR line have more quality, durability and price baked in. The NX8 line are quality as well and most newer shooters or budget conscious should consider their offerings.