NX8 4-32x50 MIL-C F1

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm interested to hear opinions on the Nightforce MIL-C F1 reticle. Reasons you liked it or disliked it.

I had my mind made up on ordering the Leupold Mark 5 with PR2 MIL reticle but the Nightforce is 1.4 ounces lighter and it has passed @Formidilosus' scope test so I have more confidence in it holding zero.

Lawnboi

WKR
Great long range reticle.

Not the best up close in low light without illumination.

Iv got a mil c and a mil xt nx8. Essentially the same reticle with and without a tree. Been very happy with both, they are simple to understand. Like the center dot aiming point when shooting long. Hold overs and wind are easy with .2mil cuts.

Reticle is totally usable at 16x which is where most of my shooting is done with it.

Both of my nx8s have been very reliable

I have the Mil XT F1 version. It’s honestly my first impressive piece of glass, so naturally I’m in love. It’s a better scope than I am a shooter, so I’m just in awe when I throw rounds. Still learning the tree, but more to follow this summer and seasons.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@TK-421 thanks for the reply. I love the ATACRs and have a couple of 5-25s. I don't think I would like to go down to the 4-16 personally.

The reason I was looking at the NX8 and Mark 5 is for the weight savings. Specifically for my NRL Hunter rifle. I'm currently using the Gen III Razor that I reviewed and I like it a lot but it's heavy and limits me on what bipods I can use.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I thought my ATACRs were both about 38 Oz. I'll have to double check that because I like them and would be happy to stick with them.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
I have the scope/reticle combination in question.

I find the reticle to be thin for my taste, but usable. I also wouldn't choose their specific pattern of hashes (I prefer the ZCO reticles and the Kahles SKMR's) but again it's quite usable.

Mine has been solid, including drop testing. I consider it a good package when weighing features and function, weight, and price point.

I have a 4-16 ATACR with a H59 reticle as well. I prefer the Mil-C to the H59. If the Mil-C in the 4-16 is thicker I'll have to check that out sometime.

Sorry if this is a little off topic…

I would be going mark5 over the nx8. I have 6 of the mark5’s and have ran them hard like many with no issues. Soon will be adding 2 more to my lineup. I was going to go with 2 nx8’s for something different but after picking one up for a buddy who I am building a rifle for and spending some time with it I just am not a big fan. To be honest the entire scope left me really underwhelmed. I want to love it as the size is perfect and I like the mag range. But I just can’t. The glass is just ok, the eye box isn’t that great, and I don’t love the turrets.

I understand the NF vs Leupold reliability thing. But there are so many people running the mark5’s without issues. There’s failures with all. The glass, turrets, reticles are well designed and after years of hard use I do trust them. I’m not brand biased. I still want to love the nx8…

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@OSU Fisher thats exactly the kind of first hand experiences I'm looking for. Thank you

I'm still can't decide what to go with. I'm tempted to buy both and see which I like better. I'm a big fan of that PR-2 reticle from Leupold.

@Justin Crossley if you can swing it picking up both wouldn’t be a bad move. Maybe you won’t feel the same as I do. I look at that nx8 almost daily trying to convince myself to love it… Honestly the mark5 is just a killer scope for the price point. If it wasn’t for the leupy reputation i think they would be dominating the market. But I get the trust factor. I just picked up the geniii razor. That was not easy for me. I swore off vortex years ago after one of their scopes cost me a bull.

Great long range reticle.

Not the best up close in low light without illumination.

Iv got a mil c and a mil xt nx8. Essentially the same reticle with and without a tree. Been very happy with both, they are simple to understand. Like the center dot aiming point when shooting long. Hold overs and wind are easy with .2mil cuts.

Reticle is totally usable at 16x which is where most of my shooting is done with it.

Both of my nx8s have been very reliable

How useable is the reticle on say 10x at say 400-600 yards? Reason I ask is like the reticle but wonder if the .2mil hash marks get just on lower mag when shooting at deer/elk at distance

I have 2 Mark 5s, 2 NX8 and 1 ATACR.

I’m just more comfortable behind the Mark 5s. I’ve not had an issue with either of mine but it’s always in the back of my mind.

I do not like tree reticles and am thinking of trading an as new condition ATACR 5-25 F1 Mil XT for a 4-20 F1 Mil C in the same condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

khuber84

WKR

I’m just more comfortable behind the Mark 5s. I’ve not had an issue with either of mine but it’s always in the back of my mind.

I do not like tree reticles and am thinking of trading an as new condition ATACR 5-25 F1 Mil XT for a 4-20 F1 Mil C in the same condition.

The 4-20 atacr milC scope is a fantastic unit miunus the chunky weight.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

I’d trade you straight across for a just mounted 4-16 f1 mil C.

-J

Lawnboi

WKR
How useable is the reticle on say 10x at say 400-600 yards? Reason I ask is like the reticle but wonder if the .2mil hash marks get just on lower mag when shooting at deer/elk at distance
In good light I have no issues using the sub-tensions at 10x.

When shooting in the field I rarely turn the magnification up past 16.

In good light I have no issues using the sub-tensions at 10x.

When shooting in the field I rarely turn the magnification up past 16.

Thanks for the info. I’m in a similar boat, rarely use above 10-12x but was concerned with the NX8’s ability to go up to 20x that the 10x range would have the reticle too small to use on game at distance when holding wind calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks for the info. I’m in a similar boat, rarely use above 10-12x but was concerned with the NX8’s ability to go up to 20x that the 10x range would have the reticle too small to use on game at distance when holding wind calls

The reticle is a little fine but really not an issue I have had.

I can only speak to the 4-32x nx8. It’s a good scope, I’d buy another in a heart beat for a hunting rifle.

Since the above post I got rid of my mil xt only because I don’t like a tree at all.

huntnful

WKR
I shot the 4-20 ATACR mil-c last season. I was really just not a fan of the reticle for hunting. I still got everything killed that I wanted to kill with it. But it was never great to kill behind. It was just too fine for my liking, for killing animals that is.

Now I seriously doubt it will stop you from killing an animal. It just isn’t ideal and did cause me pretty good issues in low light on a mule deer at 130 yards. I got him killed, but would have absolutely wanted a thicker reticle and I did swap it out immediately after that experience.

I shot the 4-20 ATACR mil-c last season. I was really just not a fan of the reticle for hunting. I still got everything killed that I wanted to kill with it. But it was never great to kill behind. It was just too fine for my liking, for killing animals that is.

Now I seriously doubt it will stop you from killing an animal. It just isn’t ideal and did cause me pretty good issues in low light on a mule deer at 130 yards. I got him killed, but would have absolutely wanted a thicker reticle and I did swap it out immediately after that experience.

What did you end up going to?

This will be my first big boy scope purchase coming from SWFAs (3-15 and 10x mil) so I’m trying to make a good selection lol

Maven is very high in the list but their email said Oct will be the next shipment? I need the scope soon to practice and vet it out

huntnful

WKR
What did you end up going to?

This will be my first big boy scope purchase coming from SWFAs (3-15 and 10x mil) so I’m trying to make a good selection lol

Maven is very high in the list but their email said Oct will be the next shipment? I need the scope soon to practice and vet it out

I went to the 3-18X44 Tenmile. It has been great.

Just recently picked up the new 5-25X50 FFP Tenmile in MOA to test out also.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I ended up buying two NX8's (with Mil-XT reticle because that's what was available) and love them. I don't personally have any issues with the reticle for my style of hunting and shooting. I do prefer the Mil-C reticle since I don't use the tree, but it doesn't really bother me either.

All I would change on the Mil-C is to bring the thick parts of the reticle in to start at 5 MIL for use when fully zoomed out. With that said a quick press of the illumination button makes the reticle very visible for low-light, close-up situations where you would want to be zoomed all the way out.

Spring bear shot at 25 yards in trees just before dark.

1000003820.jpg