NX8 1-8 for general purpose hunting

SloppyJ

WKR
I assume you've been around LPVOs before. I have a couple, nothing high end like that. However I have a few NX8s of different flavors. No scope is great on the high end and I'd be willing to bet that if you go with the 1x8, you'll be using it on 6 to 8x about 90% of the time. I think you'd be better served with a typical scope.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
NF NX8 1-8 x24 with FC-DMX reticle.

Up to now it's what I have been using on my main backcountry hunting rifle for black bear, elk, moose, goat and stone sheep. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter in .280 AI. The downside of the scope is the .2 mil per click adjustments, and the ffp.

I just switched that scope over to my Kimber Adirondack in 6.5cm to use for spring bear hunting starting in a day or two from now.

On order is a featherweight 7 saum prefit barrel for a T3 action with Wildcat stock. On it will be a March 1-10x24 SFP Mil. The adjustments are .1 mil. I think it will be an improvement over the NX8. If this setup turns out to be accurate and light enough, it will replace the Kimber Hunter .280 AI.

SloppyJ

WKR
NF NX8 1-8 x24 with FC-DMX reticle.

Up to now it's what I have been using on my main backcountry hunting rifle for black bear, elk, moose, goat and stone sheep. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter in .280 AI. The downside of the scope is the .2 mil per click adjustments, and the ffp.

I just switched that scope over to my Kimber Adirondack in 6.5cm to use for spring bear hunting starting in a day or two from now.

On order is a featherweight 7 saum prefit barrel for a T3 action with Wildcat stock. On it will be a March 1-10x24 SFP Mil. The adjustments are .1 mil. I think it will be an improvement over the NX8. If this setup turns out to be accurate and light enough, it will replace the Kimber Hunter .280 AI.
Side note, why the 7 saum over the 280ai? Other than running it in a short action they seem very similar but I bet the 280 loads a little nicer.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The 1-8x ATACR is better optically than the 1-8x NX8. Thought completely usable, the NX8 falls off in clarity and resolution above 6x.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
Side note, why the 7 saum over the 280ai? Other than running it in a short action they seem very similar but I bet the 280 loads a little nicer.
Only one reason really. To avoid a potential donut problem. With the saum in a Tikka long action, I should be able to seat the bullet above the neck shoulder junction. Donuts destroy precision and are a pain to deal with.

I'm building an ultralight 22 ARC on a Kimber 84M action to replace my Howa Mini in 223 for the same reason.

bascott1

WKR
Anyone put the 1-8 on a long action? Looking at putting one on my model 70 30-06

The 1-8x ATACR is better optically than the 1-8x NX8. Thought completely usable, the NX8 falls off in clarity and resolution above 6x.

Have you by any chance done any drop testing on a 1-8x ATACR? Maybe a better question would be, if you had a hard-use AR you needed to go downrange with, and had to have a 1-8ish LPVO, what would you have at the top of your list?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Have you by any chance done any drop testing on a 1-8x ATACR? Maybe a better question would be, if you had a hard-use AR you needed to go downrange with, and had to have a 1-8ish LPVO, what would you have at the top of your list?

The only downrange I do is past targets, but the NF 1-8’s (both versions), are as close to bomb proof as scopes get now.

I have dropped my NX8 1-8x several times, including 30’ out of a tree stand. Shot a deer 10 minutes later and when I checked zero, it was just fine.

I am a NF fan, that is what is on all of my rifles, in different magnifications. The reticles are what they are, I can find an issue with any scope that I have looked through, so when it comes down to it, the reliability and durability are why I choose Nightforce.

Q: Why isn't the nx8 1-8 talked about more for a general purpose hunting scope? Nightforce reliability, reticle is supposedly designed for great visibility at low mag, although I have admittedly never looked through one. Lightweight, and close to 1x for close engagements. 8x should be more than enough for most hunting. An LPVO isn't the typical choice for a hunting optic but if RokSlide has shown us anything, it is that convention isn't always correct. What am I missing?
I have thought about a 1-8 for a while, and finally put one on a bolt 450 bushmaster. Really think that it works great, albeit I don't have any hunting experience with that scope yet. I do have a couple NX* 2.5x20's and absolutely love the versatility of them. Shooting 600-900 yards and will be on 10-12 power. The 20x is useful to actually zoom in and see where you hit. But staying in that middle range while shooting lets me stay in the scope and watch the impact. I'd have a hard time to go to a 1-8 on a longer-range rifle when that 2.5-20 works so well. I did see that Nightforce is bringing back the NXS 2.5-10 or I think which would be a great option as well even though it's not a FFP scope.IMG_2520.jpeg

Last edited: