NWT August 2024 Sheep Hunt

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
A few people have asked for a write up......

Logistics

Flew United from Denver to Edmonton then Air North to Whitehorse. Clearing customs with the rifle was super easy in Edmonton and only took ~ 15 minutes with a couple of people in line ahead of me. I had hard copies of my hunt contract and the firearms declaration completed to ease the process.

Checking in to Air North was a relative breeze. Again, I had hard copies of their firearms / ammo policy in case it was needed. They didn’t have me open any cases, just asked questions, and although against their policy, the bolt was in the rifle case.

On someone’s recommendation, I had AirTags in my checked luggage – gave me a sense of security that my gun and gear were getting on the plane.

Stayed at the Sternwheeler in Whitehorse which was a little cheaper than a couple of options, but a clean hotel. If you can avoid it, DO NOT STAY at Canada’s best hotel – it was across the street and I walked in for something and that place is a dump…….

There was quite a bit of good restaurants in town. Walked around the next day as I wanted to make sure all my gear got there safely with a day to spare which it did.

Way back, Whitehorse to Calgary and United to Denver. Everything was a breeze. The Global Entry card probably saved me 45 minutes in line in Calgary.

Gear

See my gear list here: https://lighterpack.com/r/9p68pj

I looked at a lot of others gear lists (as well as Kuiu, SG, etc.) to try and have the right gear. I really don’t camp (last real camping trip was 20 years ago) and am not a big backcountry guy, so I was trying to get as much understanding as possible. This was my first sheep hunt as well.

Things I didn’t use:

• Gaiters – where we were, did not need them
  • Puffy pants / long underwear – weather was warm and they were not needed, but I would bring them along again.
  • Heavier gloves – weather was way too warm.
  • Rain gear – used the jacket in town and for one afternoon in camp. Pants were never put on, but I would bring them again.
  • SG DeHavilland Jacket – even before the trip, I was on the fence about this. Just seemed too heavy. Never wore it. With the puffy jacket and rain gear, I would consider a lighter windproof jacket. I did bring (I don’t think its on my list) an older Sitka Mountain (?) vest – windproof, which I pretty much wore every day.
  • Bivy sack – didn’t use it, but I’d likely bring it again.
  • Water purification – I would change this for something lighter / integrated. Never filtered any water and did not get sick.
Other Gear thoughts:

• I did bring 3 pairs of socks and underwear. I could have easily just brought two of each.
  • I brought two short-sleeve merino shirts. One would have been fine and I would sleep in that. Rotated the long sleeve hoodies.
  • As it was so warm, generally wore the SG DeHavilland lite pants. The side zip vents were very helpful in getting heat out.
  • Outfitter provided a tent (guide and I each had our own tent) and food, and I brought my own snacks and water supplements.
  • Tylenol PM at night. One tablet good. Two tablets = weird dreams.
  • What I wish I brought – I wear contacts, and although I barely look in the mirror when putting them in, using the phone was a bit tough. A small convex mirror would have helped.
The Hunt

Shuttle picked me up in the morning and flew to basecamp. We had some cloud cover, so we were flying pretty low.

NWT and South Nahanni Outfitters are helicopter supported as many of you know. Guides preceded us to a meeting point, then the hunters joined them before individually going to spike camp.

First few days, weather was cooler, but not cold. Day 2 had some storms come through the afternoon so we were in the tents pretty early. Hiked and glassed. Hiked and glassed, but did not see any sheep; although lots of tracks and droppings. Pretty much everywhere we sat, it was in sheep droppings. Saw some smaller caribou, but not anything to get excited about.

Day 3, weather was bluebird skies and started to get warmer. Only saw some ewes & lambs. We ended up moving camps that afternoon.

Day 4 – Bluebird day and weather was warm. Sheep!! Finally… but wasn’t really worried. We had a group of 3 rams, one of which was on the cusp of legal / shootable. They were unfortunately in a place we could not get to and even if we could, they’d be watching us the whole way. Had another group of 3 come by us, again with one on the cusp. However, he wasn’t great and they were working their way up hill pretty fast along a ridge, so there wasn’t a way to really get at them. Glassed a single across the valley, well over a mile away.

Day 5 - Hiked some more and spotted a group of 4 parallel to us on the valley /ridge ~ 1,500 yards away. 1 was a viable option. They were along a cliff band and there was not a really good way of going down without them seeing us. We could have gone along the back of the ridge, but where they were, there was no shot, so we just waited to see what they would do. They’d get up every now and then, moving closer to us which gave us some hope as it was still early afternoon. Eventually, they moved a ridge closer and we had the opportunity to try and make a move. Long story short – it didn’t work and they moved away from away from us. Either on their own volition or we bumped them. It was getting late and we decided to head back to camp and see what happened in the morning.

Day 6 - We woke up and got eyes on the group of 4 again. They had moved a little farther down the ridge so it was still viable but we continued to glass. Ended up spotting a larger group of 10+ so we moved to get a better view. There ended up being 13; one of which my guide was really excited about. The group ranged from a year-old to 9-year-old as you can see in my crappy scope pics. They were about 1,000 yards directly across a not very deep valley. Their side had a few grass/moss areas below it; our side was more of stepped ledges with grass/moss in between so we could easily move if necessary. It was really warm and they weren’t moving, so we decided to just to wait and see what happened and glassed them the whole day.

Zoom in enough and you will see them!!!

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_019795.JPG

IMG_019798.JPG

As I mentioned before, weather was warm and clear skies with no clouds, one of the pics I took, camera said it was 85F. They finally moved down into the grass/moss around 930pm and we started to move down to find a place I could get a shot. After several moves and aborted setups, we got as close as we could; ~ 450 yards from the ram we wanted. Shot was going to be longer than I wanted to take, but I knew my gun (Barrett Fieldcraft 308, NF 2.5-10 with 165 Nosler AB) and had shot farther than that distance before. Prone on the backpack with a sweater support on the buttstock I dialed to the distance.

1st shot – solid hit and saw him flinch. He took a few steps but did not go down. Reloaded and shot again, heard what I thought was a rock hit. Loaded again and shot – solid hit and he took a few more steps and went down. We were obviously ecstatic!

On the hike over to him, we filled our water bottles in a stream. When we got to him, found that all 3 shots had connected; they were about 6” in total apart along the same horizontal plane. Took a bunch of pics and got down to business. Hike back to camp was about two hours in the dark; I think we got back to camp around 230-3am.

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_019778.jpg

IMG_019779.jpg

Next day we took it pretty easy; it was really warm and no clouds. Even being in the tent felt like a sauna at times. Following day, we hiked and glassed for caribou; saw a cow really high. Again, it was really warm and we decided to call for the helicopter.

Back at base camp it was great to have a shower, real food and some drinks. Three other hunters were back in camp and had each taken a sheep and caribou; there was one still out in the field stalking a sheep (he ended up getting his and a wolf as well).

Morning in camp as I’m getting ready to walk out for coffee and breakfast, my guide appears in the doorway. “There’s a good-sized caribou walking in the river bed.” So, I grabbed my rifle and off we went, both wearing crocs. Although he was lazily walking, took a bit for us to catch up and get a place for a shot…… but it happened.

IMG_019831.JPG

Great trip. Scenery is gorgeous. Guide was phenomenal. Food at base camp seemed to be never-ending; Werner & Sunny kept telling us to eat more. Would highly recommend it.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
Excellent write up - great info.

Congrats on an excellent ram and caribou! I'll be with SNO in Aug 2026 and can't wait. Seeing the caribou makes me think I better have the tag just in case.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the great hunt. Loved your writing style. I'm headed back to the Mackenzies in 2026 - can't wait!

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome hunt and animals! Seems like that’s a great outfit all around. I have a buddy who was there the first week and killed a nice ram too. Loved everything about ‘em. Congrats again.

7mm-08

WKR
That ram! What character - congratulations. (And that bull caribou ain't shabby either.) Thanks for taking the time to taking us along. Wonderful write up.

Timjohnson11

Lil-Rokslider
I know the tipped out rams get the attention but I have personally always preferred the ones that drop low and come up closer to the face. Love that ram and beyond jealous, congrats!

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! Great ram and caribou. The NWT is such a special place! Well done. Enjoyed your write up.