NW MT elk

Mapledog

FNG
I just moved to the NW region of MT and have hunted the SW region for several years. Spots I’ve scouted over the summer up here have mainly found me glassing moose and whitetail where I think there should be elk. I’m hitting 5-10 year old cuts, natural meadows ( which are hard to come by up here) and water source intersections (good wallow points). Running a similar elevation of around 4-6k. I will hit the woods hard come bow season to learn more about the landscape but just hoping I’m searching in the right areas (food,water,shelter). Really hate to drive 4 hours to where I know best every chance I can but I’m barely finding old rut activity in the areas I’ve hiked so far. Any suggestions would be much appreciated on what I should be looking for more.

Thanks

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in the flathead and hunted middle fork, south fork and swan quite a bit. starting in about 2008 wolf populations exploded and elk populations collapsed. I am not saying there are no elk, but the numbers are way down. there are a few areas where they are starting to comeback but populations are still pretty low. the problem is in Region 1 (NW montana) there are more large carnivores then elk. That stat is not conducive to establishing a good elk population. To sum it up, you're not finding elk because there just are not that many elk. you can still find some pockets, but takes serious scouting and people who know where elk hangout are not going to tell you. good luck and lace up the boots and start hiking.

OP
M

Mapledog

FNG
I grew up in the flathead and hunted middle fork, south fork and swan quite a bit. starting in about 2008 wolf populations exploded and elk populations collapsed. I am not saying there are no elk, but the numbers are way down. there are a few areas where they are starting to comeback but populations are still pretty low. the problem is in Region 1 (NW montana) there are more large carnivores then elk. That stat is not conducive to establishing a good elk population. To sum it up, you're not finding elk because there just are not that many elk. you can still find some pockets, but takes serious scouting and people who know where elk hangout are not going to tell you. good luck and lace up the boots and start hiking.
Thanks for the response! I have put quite a few miles on the boots out in the Salish range and plan to take this bow season to do much more on the boots scouting around the flathead area with hopes of just turning up some fresh sign this year! I hope you have a successful season and many more to come! Thanks again for the advice!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted above wolves changed the landscape hard in Region 1. There are elk but it will take a lot of boot leather to learn where they are at. I have a friend and lifelong resident in that region who knows where they live and kills a good bull every year, because he knows the country like the back of his hand and hunts 30-50 days each year to do so. Keep roaming and scratching places off the list.

OP
M

Mapledog

FNG
As noted above wolves changed the landscape hard in Region 1. There are elk but it will take a lot of boot leather to learn where they are at. I have a friend and lifelong resident in that region who knows where they live and kills a good bull every year, because he knows the country like the back of his hand and hunts 30-50 days each year to do so. Keep roaming and scratching places off the list.
Thank you for the response! I will keep after it and hopefully by the end of this fall have some places scratched off the list! Good luck this fall!!

My buddy is from Kali. He echos how bad the hunting is there. But I'm guessing there's gotta be some good area since everyone there goes to Dillon or the Hi Line. Like everyone says there's too many predators. Well then why is Lincoln so good?

Hunted 8 hard days 18 miles deep in the Bob in 2021. Out of 8 hunters in camp, I killed the only elk SEEN during the trip. We covered thousands of acres with glass and eyes during this time- 9/20-9/27. The lack of animals in general, including mule deer, was almost creepy. Guys saw 1 black bear the first day and 1 grizz and a cub on the 4th day. Saw wolf tracks, but never heard or saw any of them. Outfitter in question has hunted the same area for more than 30 years.

There are elk in there, but the outfitter said, like others on this thread, that the wolves, moutain lions, and grizz, are way out of balance. In addition, the seasons are pretty long, and low numbers of elk, low calf survival, and lots of predators are all combining to stress the herd.

They should relocate some of the "problem elk" from Central MT into NW MT to help bolster the herd.

TrailDog

FNG
Yup....echoing others' sentiments. I'm a state forester and spend the entire year out in the Whitefish range. I also hunt Region 1 with a dogged passion. It's sad to hear so many of the not-that-old-timer's stories of mule deer and elk numbers in this area, because they're just not out there anymore. I can go all YEAR and maybe bump a few cows in otherwise stunning basins where you'd think there should be healthy elk groups. The success I've had here has been very, very, very hard won and rich with suffering, devil's club, blowdown and brush. The Bob Marshall isn't what it used to be or should be as far as elk numbers go, and I think that's 100% due to wolves.

Stay positive, keep scouting hard, go where other hunter's avoid and good luck.

OP
M

Mapledog

FNG
Yup....echoing others' sentiments. I'm a state forester and spend the entire year out in the Whitefish range. I also hunt Region 1 with a dogged passion. It's sad to hear so many of the not-that-old-timer's stories of mule deer and elk numbers in this area, because they're just not out there anymore. I can go all YEAR and maybe bump a few cows in otherwise stunning basins where you'd think there should be healthy elk groups. The success I've had here has been very, very, very hard won and rich with suffering, devil's club, blowdown and brush. The Bob Marshall isn't what it used to be or should be as far as elk numbers go, and I think that's 100% due to wolves.

Stay positive, keep scouting hard, go where other hunter's avoid and good luck.
Thank you! I will keep hunting hard and learning the area as I go!! Good luck this season!