NV or Thermal?

I've always been fascinated by the idea of being able to see in the darkness with the help of NV or thermals. Who has experience using scopes, monocular, or helmet mounted with IR laser?

Mostly used for looking around at night in the woods but also for yote hunting a few times a year.

Budget is fluid.

I don’t have much experience with a thermal, but using a helmet mounted set of NVGs and a weapon laser is fun. I have used them for work for about 20ish years, just started to use them for hunting coyotes at night. It is an expensive way to have fun, but man does it open up a whole new world.

Take a look at this IR laser from Steiner, its a solid way to get into an IR laser, nothing fancy, it just works. A set of PVS-14’s will do everything you need to see in the IR spectrum. White Phosphorus is super rad, but not necessary.

wytx

WKR
Bought a FLIR PS 32 back in 2013, it's fun and easy to use.
We use it for hog hunting and predators.
Lots of options today, you'll like thermal if you go that route.

WCB

WKR
If I were doing it on a fairly easy to swallow budget I would go with a thermal scanner and a good NV scope with upgraded IR illuminator.

If you have the coin Spend the money and get a thermal scope and I would still get a thermal scanner as it is way easier to scan with than looking through your scope all night and either holding your gun or trying to not have yotes see you standing up on a tripod spinning circles scanning.

I've used an Axion Key and Xm30F scanners and Pulsar Thermal scope (forgot what model but new about 6 years ago. Great set up.

Had a buddy try one of the inexpensive ATN thermals...absolute trash as far as being able to identify and zoom in on targets. He dumped it and bought a SightMark Wraith used in conjunction with a Pulsar thermal scanner...he is very happy with it and shot truck loads of yotes.

gman82001

Lil-Rokslider
Just went down this same rabbit hole and best way I saw it broke down was night vision is for moving in the. Dark and thermal is for killing in the dark. I just bought a Bering super yoter for Christmas and it’s like having a super power. I’m now saving for a 2nd less expensive scope that will double as a scanner or can be mounted on my little savage bolt 22 this spring so I can shoot all the little gophers and ground squirrels in the yard.

I've always been fascinated by the idea of being able to see in the darkness with the help of NV or thermals. Who has experience using scopes, monocular, or helmet mounted with IR laser?

Mostly used for looking around at night in the woods but also for yote hunting a few times a year.

Budget is fluid.

If you’re in the woods, thermal is probably your best bet.. throw out any sort of digital night vision if there’s much cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Check out The AGM Adder TS35-384… the best entry point you will find into the game.