Nutrition and diet information? post your information up....

a3dhunter

WKR
For those who maintain a certain caloric intake this is a place to post up what that is, what size you are, and what foods you use to get there.
I am one of the big guys trying to lose weight while watching what I eat, exercising and staying focused on my goals.

List what you would typically have for breakfast, a possible substitute or two, and then do the same for other meals throughout the day.
Include any snacks and time of such.

For those of you who have figured out what works for you, share with us how you got there.

Also list how much exercise you get per day to go with your diet.

quarbles

FNG
went down from 250 (fat, horrid shape, little strength/cardio... even bodyweight workouts were a fail) to 173 via strict paleo diet low carbing (under 50g a day) in around 6 months. boom. body composition was changing R A P I D L Y week to week. was fasting about a day a week (skipping breakfast and lunch). didn't like being skinny much, it was novel for a while as i was always a chunky dude, but...
started strength training (heavy lifts with accessory work in supersets for cardio), still eating paleo but incorporating tubers, squash and whole milk. maintained low body fat and gained 30 lbs muscle. was eating in around 5000 cal.... 2 g protein per pound bodyweight, ALOT of fats, carb post workout as sweet potato or squash. i guess the ratio 40-40-20 (p-f-c).... now more metabolic conditioning so i take in good amount of carbs, still paleo and rarely from fruit or potatoes and no longer consume much dairy. couldn't be happier with the results.

Stop drinking pop, stop eating horrible. I've gone from a max weight of 326 lbs 6'4 (I played division 1 college football, so I'm not the flabby 326) to 265 lbs via crossfit/olympic lifting.

I eat in a diet style called warrior. Small breakfast, small lunch, large dinner. With intermittent fasting in between. Your body was not designed to eat 8 times a day like you hear people pushing down your throat all the time. Just try to eat cleaner and cancel out all of the sweets/pop and you'll watch weight fall off. I gave up pop, I rarely eat fast food unless its a cheat day, and try to cook for yourself more often. You'll results. Portion control is a big guys biggest asset. Start eating smaller portions and your appetite will shrink because your body will get used to eating less. That is the biggest step a big guy who likes to eat can make. Any diet will work as long as you keep the portions under control. My goal is to be 240 by august, I'm going to get there.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Stop drinking pop, stop eating horrible. I've gone from a max weight of 326 lbs 6'4 (I played division 1 college football, so I'm not the flabby 326) to 265 lbs via crossfit/olympic lifting.

I eat in a diet style called warrior. Small breakfast, small lunch, large dinner. With intermittent fasting in between. Your body was not designed to eat 8 times a day like you hear people pushing down your throat all the time. Just try to eat cleaner and cancel out all of the sweets/pop and you'll watch weight fall off. I gave up pop, I rarely eat fast food unless its a cheat day, and try to cook for yourself more often. You'll results. Portion control is a big guys biggest asset. Start eating smaller portions and your appetite will shrink because your body will get used to eating less. That is the biggest step a big guy who likes to eat can make. Any diet will work as long as you keep the portions under control. My goal is to be 240 by august, I'm going to get there.

That makes me feel better, just wish my body would cooperate.
Small breakfast, small lunch. Usually not more than 600 calories between the two, sometimes less than 450. Then a moderate dinner. Most days am between 1500-1700 calories.
Haven't had but 2 sodas this year, and cut out sweet tea three weeks ago. Only water and unsweet tea now days.
Am usually able to get to the gym 3-4 times per week for an hour and a half- to two hours, with about 1 hour 15 minutes of cardio.

What exactly do you eat for breakfast and lunch though?
I usually have two eggs and a piece of whole wheat toast (low cal=45 cal), then a pbj or tuna sandwich for lunch and a banana somewhere in there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The lowest calorie/highest nutrient foods on the planet are fruits/vegetables. Americans eat 1/3 less now than 100 years ago and we are now the fattest nation in the world. If you don't count ketchup/french fries, many guys get 0 servings per day. Eat up to 9 servings (fist size) per day, replacing most fast food, simple carbs.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
breakfast-4 egg whites, 1/2 grapefruit, and water. (one banana, cup of strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries (or whatever is in season), 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, scoop of protein, cup of almond milk. then blended. all of the fruit is frozen for this) I use the smoothie for a breakfast drink and a mid morning snack.

lunch- 5oz of lean protein, spinach, romaine, arugala salad. raspberry vinagrette/little olive oil. carrots, roma tomota, 1/2 avacado. WATER

afternoon snack- cup of grapes, 1/2 apple, banana, almonds.

dinner- 3oz of lean protein or quinoa. bunch of vegetables. fruit. WATER.

i range from 2500-3200calories a day. i'm gaining right now due to losing a bunch of weight due to sickness. I rotate supplements depending on what i'm doing for the day workout/run wise.

Curtis C

WKR
Great Thread. I have been thinking about starting a "Clean Meal Thread" to get ideas from others about what healthy meals they are preparing. Maybe that can be incorporated in this thread.

I have tried several low cal diets but end up giving in to the hunger pains after a short while. With work taking 11(8 hr work and 2hr of commute) hours from my day and then kids activities a couple nights a week it is kinda hard to eat right regularly.

Here is what works for me.
Bottom line for me is I cant be hungry or I will fail. I start my day with 3 scrambled eggs or cooked oats w/nothing added. My serving size is prolly 2 servings for breakfast. A 10am ish snack of raw veggies(carrots or celery are easy) or fruit. For lunch I will have plain tuna and crackers or a large salad sometimes adding pasta. Another snack around 3 usually a boiled egg. Dinner is the toughest part. I want to have all my eating done by 7 so most times its a meal that is thrown together quickly which usually turns out to be unhealthy.

For exercise I will walk/jog 4miles during lunch hour on a nearby path 4 times a week. Mountain biking or hiking with loaded pack on at least one of the days of the weekend. Very irregular lifting downstairs. I doubt I get much from this as I really don't commit to this. Being an auto tech I do a fair amount of lifting and upper body strength isn't to bad. I like being outside and find I do better at being active when outdoor activity is involved.

Here is my downfall
If i get a late start in the morning I will skip breakfast entirely, and end up packing a bad lunch of ham/salami sammy and something like Clif bars for snack. Then the quick dinner meal makes for an overall bad eating day.
I have a weakness for diet soda.
I cant eat the same thing for long before I get sick of it
I don't drink enough water

Here is one of my favorite clean dinner meals
Fish Tacos
fish cooked on indoor grill
shredded cabbage
fresh made Pico d Galo
wrapped in corn tort
with a squeeze of lemon or lime

We do a crock pot meal about once a weak which is often a veggie stew or similar. Somewhat healthy but not as much as I'd like. When in a hurry we end up with beef tacos or hamburgers kinda stuff.

lets see some clean meal ideas.

C

Last edited:
I eat granola cereal for breakfast, sometimes I just drink a V8 and a banana. For lunch I'll have 2 cans of tuna, some triscuits with another v8 and then for dinner I can eat basically whatever as long as it isn't horrible for you. Give it time a3d you will lose the weight eating that amount of calories. I eat 3000 a day and drop weight... You'll get there brother keep at the cardio. Speaking of that, I'm going to go row 5k!

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I eat granola cereal for breakfast, sometimes I just drink a V8 and a banana. For lunch I'll have 2 cans of tuna, some triscuits with another v8 and then for dinner I can eat basically whatever as long as it isn't horrible for you. Give it time a3d you will lose the weight eating that amount of calories. I eat 3000 a day and drop weight... You'll get there brother keep at the cardio. Speaking of that, I'm going to go row 5k!

I keep telling myself that, but my body seems very resistant to believe it.;)

What are some other lunch options for those of us that have to take our lunch with us?

And I can't stand v8, so I would have to find something else there....yuck!
Another 2 hours at the gym today after work.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
more times than not i make a cold salad w/ diced chicken breast or (some type of fish). you can make it the night before.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
175#. Under 12% BF. 3100 calories a day to maintain, 3500 a day to build mass, 2700 a day to cut fat. Obviously this has to be adjusted quite often, depending on where I am in a cycle.

Breakfast-Egg whites, lean ground turkey, protein powder/strawberries/milk blended, elk or venison steak
Morning snack-all of the above along with protein bars, rice cakes/PB, nuts and fruit
Lunch-Elk, Venison, Turkey, Salmon, brown rice, sweet potatos, salad
Mid-afternoon snack-See morning snack above
Supper- Elk, Venison, Turkey, Salmon, brown rice, sweet potatos, salad, stew, roast, chicken breasts, Fish
Late evening snack-Cottage Cheese, Almonds, Lean Protein

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
165lbs always weight around 160 to 170 no exercise drank about 3 5ths of jack a week and smoked pack and a half a day I can eat a whole chicken or have a pint of ice cream half a cake a large pizza etc.... I'd guess around 3500 to 5000 calories a day now that I'm working out I am always hungry still weight the same protein shakes and bars chicken salmon venison pork tenderloin lots of veggies and fruit oatmeal and 2 eggs with fruit in the mornings. Wish I would move one way or the other!!!!!

Last edited:

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work Quarbles!
I follow a paleo style as well. Game meat, grass fed beef, fish ( tuna, sardines, salmon ) clean chicken and eggs, lots of colored veggies, fruit, very little dairy, nuts seeds and good fats ( avo, oils, coconut oil/milk/water.
Can't forget ice cream !
Never had weight issues all my life. Genetically a great metabolism. Good Nutrition should precede everything.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
The paleo diet has worked well for me also! Been following it for a year now. 5' 9" 170 down from #195.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
4:30 to 5am Breakfast: 1 cup to 1.5 cups of various "healthy" cereal with 1 cup 1% milk and usually 2 cups of coffee with 1 sweet N low and TSP of creamer.

9am snack is a lowfat yogurt and banana

11:30 lunch is a turkey samich with 4 slices of peppered turkey, 1 slice of pepper cheese, 3 slices of red pepper, one leaf of leat, and some mustard. Alternate luch option is a chicken salad with various stuff my wife puts in it. Some sort of balsomic vinigar and olive oil dressing. With those lunch options are 12 Teddy Gram bears.

2pm snack: Apple and an orange

Have a Nalgene bottle at my desk, usually fill it twice a day. I know still not enough.

Dinner: Wife is healthy so dinner usually is too. it's either elk/deer meat meal or chicken something other. Night time liquid is Arizona Diet Tea.

Ok so my crutch is Blue Moon. I could drink one every night but about this time of year I try to lay off as much as I can.

Not a big guy. 185 with clothes and boots on. Will be 175 before the end of Aug and usually 165 after Sept.

Exercise: 2 to 3 times a week I work a local trail in my sud division. Once a week I do a 6 mile loop in the foothills of Loveland. Sometimes pack it sometimes run/walk it.

Usually on the weekend one day is spent on a trail if nothing else is blowing up my weekend.

As many weekend trips as I can fit in too.

Last edited:

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
For those dinner meals a great thing to cook with the meat is veggies.......yeah yeah I know veggies but a buddy of mine turned me on to this and since then I eat more of it.

Take broc, coliflower and asparagus and put it in a large mixing bowl with some olive oil and your favortive veggie spice bottle spices. Mix it all up and dump it out on a cookie sheet. Throw it in the oven at like 350ish for 20 min.

It's actually really good.

G Posik

WKR
My day typically starts with a protein shake right after my run. then a cup of coffee on the drive to work, at work another cup of coffee and instant oat meal.
About 1000 I usually have a protein bar as a snack
Go to the gym at 1100 for the weight training
After the gym will have a subway turkey breast sandwich, no chips and water to drink.
About 2:30 I will have another protein bars as a afternoon snack.
For dinner I usually try to have about 3-4oz of lean meat, fresh salad, veggies and a small amount of rice or pasta.
For an evening snack I try to have fruit of some sort, apple or banana or some berries.

On the weekend I will fire up the grill and cook some chicken breast and some veggies on the grill. Another good one I love is take a slab of red fish or snapper and cook on the grill and then top off with a pico with pineapple and mango added. Serve with green peas and salad.

I try to drink about 1 gallon of water every day and take a good multi vitamin along with GNC's TriFlex for the joints.

Glenn