Nu Way stove

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at adding a Nu way stove to the arsenal. I already have a Big Buddy but looking to go vented. This will be used in an SO 12 man.

The question I keep bouncing around is how to secure the vent pipe sections to each other and to the stove itself? My concern is wind blowing the pipe over or loose. I saw a post where someone mentioned using sheet metal screws? Same for securing the pipe to the stove?

Or is this a non issue? I hunt and will hunt is some windy areas.

TIA

Bill

jhm2023

WKR
I've never had an issue with any type of stove and pipes coming apart in the wind. That includes wood, diesel, and a nuway stove. The best way to go about it in my experience, if needed, is to install a rain cap to the top and add 3 equally spaced steel cables to the bottom end of the rain cap. This will allow you to use paracord or similar to tie the pipe down. I would say it's more important to pitch your tent correctly though.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I used the Nu-Way before building my own. They work fine. There are some YouTube videos using steel ammo cans etc. Some of those designs are neat as they put a thru-tube with a computer fan to extract more heat.

As far as the flue goes, wind flap is an issue with most stoves so securing with clamps or screws a good idea to avoid a rodeo. I use a heavy copper pipe on car trips and a roll up titanium pipe for horse or where compact is important.

I put a sunflower heater in a stainless silverware box I found. Added heat sink on top. Turbocharger 90 on bottom to a light vac hose to slip under tent for fresh air. Cab use 1 lb or 20 lb propane cylinders. Photo was an antelope hunt that got to 20 at night. Works great. Might add cross tube with fan for more heat recovery.
IMG_4072.jpgIMG_1598.jpgIMG_1599.jpgIMG_4073.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Go4: can you post some pic and give an description of your homemade stove? I am an addicted tinkerer and I am sure other would like to see it!

Thanks

Bill

I have a Nu Way that I use in my Arctic Oven and I've never had a problem with anything coming apart during a storm, but that shelter is very secure and when anchored down properly with all the guy outs, etc., it doesn't move very much, even in very heavy winds. I also have a 12 person SO that I use a titanium wood stove in, and the only issue I've ever had regarding wind and the flue pipe is, once during a pretty big storm on Kodiak, at some point during the night the flue pulled loose from the stove box and slid down right inside one of my boots that I had sitting by the stove. Fortunately the fire was all burned out, but rain continued to run down the inside of the pipe and soak the inside of that one boot. A couple of sheetmetal screws, or maybe hose clamp would definitely fix that potential problem.

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
AK. Thanks for the hose clamp idea. I will try that. I have an SO SXL stove and haven’t had a problem with the pipe even in some pretty good winds. But it is a 1 piece pipe. I wondered if multiple pieces of pipe on the Nu way might be a problem. Sounds like I might be over thinking this.

Thanks

Bill

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to ask How many sections of pipe did you use with the Nu way and a 12 man tipi?

Bill

Forgot to ask How many sections of pipe did you use with the Nu way and a 12 man tipi?

Bill

I’ve never used the Nu Way in the tipi, I’ve only used a XL titanium wood stove in it. I wonder if you could just use the single piece flue pipe you current have with the Nu Way? It might require some sort of a transition/adapter to connect the flue to the stove, but it would eliminate the need to purchase multiple sections of new pipe, and also eliminate any worries of it coming apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never used the Nu Way in the tipi, I’ve only used a XL titanium wood stove in it. I wonder if you could just use the single piece flue pipe you current have with the Nu Way? It might require some sort of a transition/adapter to connect the flue to the stove, but it would eliminate the need to purchase multiple sections of new pipe, and also eliminate any worries of it coming apart.
You have pics of your nu way/pipe in the AO? How long is your pipe? I'm thinking of selling my cimarron +stove I never use and buying a nu way to replace the trusted Mr. Buddy in the AO. I was thinking what you're suggesting would be the way to go - just order a one piece pipe from SO or wherever. I was gonna talk to the guys from AK fire and flue at the Outdoors show this weekend and try to get some ideas on what they've seen and look at the adapter.

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Am. Good idea on using the SO pipe, which I already have. After reading through too many threads here it seems the consensus is that a baffle is needed and the further up the flue the better. Don’t (yet) know how to do that. Any ideas?

Bill

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
My bad, looks like I was using wrong term. Where I said baffel, I meant damper.

Bill

You have pics of your nu way/pipe in the AO? How long is your pipe? I'm thinking of selling my cimarron +stove I never use and buying a nu way to replace the trusted Mr. Buddy in the AO. I was thinking what you're suggesting would be the way to go - just order a one piece pipe from SO or wherever. I was gonna talk to the guys from AK fire and flue at the Outdoors show this weekend and try to get some ideas on what they've seen and look at the adapter.

Here’s a few pictures. I don’t know exactly what the total length of the flue is, because I’ve made some changes since these pictures were taken. In these pictures I was using a three sectioned telescoping flue, but I decided that I didn’t like it so I have since went with regular sections of 3 inch pipe. I can’t remember for sure, but I think the sections are about 21” long, and I think I have 5 total, plus the short section that comes off of the stove itself, so maybe about 112-114” total from the top of the stove. For reference my AO is just over 7’ tall at the peak.

ae6f1bbae95066291736fb21959e4bc7.jpg

a857e9516934b5eda0a955f78d6f7d34.jpg

bf12f7fb7b0707d3efd1601f8e553d75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
I have one of the old Nu Way's and use the same pipe set up as AK Troutbum.
I use it if I'm not backpacking in and it works well with my SO 6 man.