Ntl Park Service Fining AWD Vehicles on 4WD Trails

Poser

WKR

CorbLand

WKR
If I had to guess, this is what they call a "clickbait headline."

Took me about 5 second to deduct that the reason is probably more based on the "high clearance" not the "AWD" portion of the rule. They probably should have stated that more in the letter than they did.

I dont think a Crosstrek is even remotely close to the definition of a high clearance four wheel drive vehicle.

This post on Reddit made me laugh.

1723577506422.png

OP
P

Poser

WKR

Took me about 5 second to deduct that the reason is more based on the "high clearance" not the "AWD" portion of the rule. They probably should have stated that more in the letter than they did.

I dont think a Crosstrek is even remotely close to the definition of a high clearance four wheel drive vehicle.

In the linked reddit thread, the ticket recipient states:

The NPS has posted their description of "high clearance" as 8 inches above the ground from the lowest part of the vehicle and a minimum of 15 inch rims. The stock Crosstrek clears both of these requirements. This letter is focusing on the drivetrain of my vehicle.

CorbLand

WKR
In the linked reddit thread, the ticket recipient states:

The NPS has posted their description of "high clearance" as 8 inches above the ground from the lowest part of the vehicle and a minimum of 15 inch rims. The stock Crosstrek clears both of these requirements. This letter is focusing on the drivetrain of my vehicle.
Interesting. I will stand corrected.

Loo.wii

WKR

Took me about 5 second to deduct that the reason is probably more based on the "high clearance" not the "AWD" portion of the rule. They probably should have stated that more in the letter than they did.

View attachment 749874
If what the comment respond to your post is true. Does it really **** matter. I guess someone at the FS Was bored or told they need to show more evidence of their productivity.

CorbLand

WKR
If what the comment respond to your post is true. Does it really **** matter. I guess someone at the FS Was bored or told they need to show more evidence of their productivity.
Never been there to know if the difference between AWD and 4WD is truly needed.

I can see the validity of the rule, especially the clearance part. I would be pissed if I traveled there, wanted to go down that road and couldnt because some moron took their AWD Corolla and got stuck. Probably one of those rules that there has to be a line drawn and stuck to.

I have taken my AWD Rav a lot of places people wouldnt think about taking a pickup and took a pickup places people wouldnt take a quad.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
One important aspect that is almost never part of the conversation with Subarus are the approach angles.
Crosstreks have a 18 degree approach angle with the Wilderness edition having a 20 degree angle. Sometimes, folks are quick to point out that a stock wilderness edition Suby has the same clearance as a 4runner, therefore they are equally capable. However, a 4runner (in addition to having a transfer case for a comparable edition) has a stock 33 degree approach angle (and a infinite amount of aftermarket components to increase that angle). That's a significant difference and I have seen a Subaru bottomed out on the front end of a hairpin when going uphill where any reasonable 4x4 design would accomodate for the approach angle in the design. If you want to make those vehicles more capable, you'll have to do more than just have clearance, you need the approach and departure angle to get over obstacles. No way around it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The number one vehicle we’ve seen stuck on high clearance back country trails are the AWD Subarus.

When a trail clearly says “high clearance” your car named after a mall pizza chain does not count.

I’m sure the forest service is seeing the same issue. Glad they are finally fining them.

CorbLand

WKR
One important aspect that is almost never part of the conversation with Subarus are the approach angles.
Crosstreks have a 18 degree approach angle with the Wilderness edition having a 20 degree angle. Sometimes, folks are quick to point out that a stock wilderness edition Suby has the same clearance as a 4runner, therefore they are equally capable. However, a 4runner (in addition to having a transfer case for a comparable edition) has a stock 33 degree approach angle (and a infinite amount of aftermarket components to increase that angle). That's a significant difference and I have seen a Subaru bottomed out on the front end of a hairpin when going uphill where any reasonable 4x4 design would accomodate for the approach angle in the design. If you want to make those vehicles more capable, you'll have to do more than just have clearance, you need the approach and departure angle to get over obstacles. No way around it.
Just hit it with more speed and hope for a good bounce.

Agree with the above. I’m sure other things come into play but I would guess the biggest motivator is to avoid tying up resources and spending money dragging people out.

Fatcamp

WKR

View attachment 749874

Brave soul upsetting the Subaru cart. Might as well anger the cat ladies on Fakebook.

Crosstreks have a 18 degree approach angle with the Wilderness edition having a 20 degree angle. Sometimes, folks are quick to point out that a stock wilderness edition Suby has the same clearance as a 4runner, therefore they are equally capable. However, a 4runner (in addition to having a transfer case for a comparable edition) has a stock 33 degree approach angle (and an infinite amount of aftermarket components to increase that angle). That's a significant difference and I have seen a Subaru bottomed out on the front end of a hairpin when going uphill where any reasonable 4x4 design would accomodate for the approach angle in the design. If you want to make those vehicles more capable, you'll have to do more than just have clearance, you need the approach and departure angle to get over obstacles. No way around it.
But they are great vehicles to place your Harris Walz stickers on

hunterjmj

WKR
A few years back our family headed up to the mountains to cut some Christmas trees. I took my pickup and my sister and my bil took their Subaru forester. So we get off the highway onto the county road and the snow keeps getting deeper so I tell them to park the doucharu and hop in with us as I know we're going to get into deep snow and I'll have to chain up. My bil insists that their car will make it and it'll go anywhere my pickup will go, yada, yada, yada. I told my wife that dumbass is going to run off the side of the road and get stuck, which he did. Anyhow, what would have been an easy tree gathering day turned into a recovery cause my bil can't admit the limits of his car.