NR Hunter Education Requirements - confused info please

RunNGunSC

FNG
I am planning my first out of state hunt and am confused by how I can satisfy the hunter education requirement. Several states appear to require in person firearm safety training. How does a nonresident meet the requirement? I live on the east coast. I am specifically interested in WY, CO, NM, and MT. I want a western hunt to become an annual experience, so I don’t want to hit a roadblock next year. Any help is greatly appreciate. It seems that in CO you must meet the requirement to even build points and apply. What am I missing?

No big deal. You just need to take the class in your own state & get your hunter education certification # & you can use that card for the other states. Most folks probably did it in high school. If so, just contact your state wildlife commission & request the card.

bsnedeker

WKR
No big deal. You just need to take the class in your own state & get your hunter education certification # & you can use that card for the other states. Most folks probably did it in high school. If so, just contact your state wildlife commission & request the card.
Yep, and depending on the state you might be able to do the whole thing online...no field day required.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Kroach

FNG
I've used my hunter education number for proof in WY and MO. Talking to MT it will work for them also. I believe some of them honor a previous states bow tag also.

OP
R

RunNGunSC

FNG
Thank you for the responses. I just went through the CO license purchase process. It prompts you to enter your hunter education certificate # as Firearms, test50, or Bow. I guess I can just enter my SC hunter education number there? My state doesn’t require in person training.

Yep, and depending on the state you might be able to do the whole thing online...no field day required.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
^^^This. I'm headed to HI next month and plan on doing a little goat and sheep hunting while I'm down there, I had never done hunter ed before and I really didn't want to do the whole field day thing, so I just got online and looked up HE classes that didn't require a field day. There's at least a half a dozen that don't require a field day, so I just picked one of the cheapest ones (North Carolina in my case), paid the $20 and took the course online one day. Super easy and I've already submitted the info into the HI F&G office, got approved for licensure and bought a license.

cusecat04

FNG
thats correct, in CO you also either need to carry the card on you while hunting or contact CPWG and get a copy on file with them

OP
R

RunNGunSC

FNG
It appears the system accept the SC certification. That will make things a lot easier. Thanks everyone.

Kroach

FNG
Missouri accepted a .pdf copy of my certificate to put on file that I emailed them. Wonder if CO would accept the same?

cusecat04

FNG
interesting.... I did this through email a year ago.

1668596443214.png

I will need to verify it was printed on my most recent license.

Edit: I started by emailing the generic dnr_wildlife.huntered email
1668597511997.png

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
Has anyone ever been asked to show a Hunter Ed card while in the field?
Probably the type of violation they look for when they already have you on something else. I've only had a warden check me to see if I had TAGS once in my life, let alone a HE card!

LostArra

WKR
Has anyone ever been asked to show a Hunter Ed card while in the field?

Once. Colorado trail head.
Checked tags and HE original, no photo or digital copies accepted and it didn't matter what state the card was from. Things may have changed as this occurred in 2011.

Warden also gave a warning to a successful nr hunter because he didn't attach the carcass tag correctly to his elk. He wasn't a jerk about it and explained why it needed to be done per the regs.

Weldor

WKR
Alot of states have a age timeline for HE, usually born before 1973 etc. just a example. I do realize not applicable to Colorado. My first hunt there I had to get ahold of my home state for a copy of the original and they sent me a new card. I took in the early 1970's , I was surprised they had it on file because it was pre computer days. Also what about the NRA online course? I understand it is excepted in alot of states.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Since like 2000 Minnesota endorses Firearm Saftey on the back of your drivers license and your Firearms Safety number is your drivers license number. Pretty nice not having to carry another stupid card around.

Fordguy

WKR
I requested a new copy of my hunters safety cert years ago. Apparently I'm too old for them to have kept a paper copy and too young to be exempt. Ended up completing another state's online course just to be "legal" for nonresident hunting opportunities. It was free, time consuming, (a few hours on a Saturday) but not a big deal. Just another hoop to jump through.

Oregon

WKR
Once. Colorado trail head.
Checked tags and HE original, no photo or digital copies accepted and it didn't matter what state the card was from. Things may have changed as this occurred in 2011.

Warden also gave a warning to a successful nr hunter because he didn't attach the carcass tag correctly to his elk. He wasn't a jerk about it and explained why it needed to be done per the regs.

I was in Wyoming this year and realized I forgot my card. Had my wife snap a picture just in case. We never saw LEO in 10 days.
I think it would take a "special" type of warden to write a ticket for a picture