NPS going cashless

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I was told they don't keep any cash on hand. No cash, no robbery. I went not a hospital back east and wanted to pay the bill with cash and have insurance reimburse me. They would not take cash, so they just sent statement to insurance. WTF, this is still America, or am I wrong.

MattB

WKR
Not really. Credit lacks a number of the practical downsides to using cash.

MattB

WKR
I was told they don't keep any cash on hand. No cash, no robbery. I went not a hospital back east and wanted to pay the bill with cash and have insurance reimburse me. They would not take cash, so they just sent statement to insurance. WTF, this is still America, or am I wrong.
And not having to drive to a physical bank location to get change or to make deposits, or incurring the cost of armored transport. The remoteness of some national parks doesn't line up well for cash processing.

TN2shot07

WKR
I don’t like it but the last couple of sporting events I went to were card only. You couldn’t get anything in a concession stand with cash. It’s just a convenience for them, no trips to the bank for deposits, no counting down cash drawers, easier to train employees and as mentioned above no robberies.

It’s amazing to me the number of people I know that under no circumstances carry cash, ever.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Agree or not, it's just another way for big brother to monitor are every movement.....It may not be the intent, but still it gives them another way to keep an eye on our every movement.

Just the slow roll to a cashless society where they have full control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
^^

Don't get me wrong, I actually hate using cash and use all electronic payment methods by choice. But the day we lose the option to pay cash is the day we officially become prisoners. They're leading us down this road slowly and we're oblivious of it. One day Visa will be able to enforce quotas on ammo purchases, oops you've already bought a gun this year you can't buy another until next year... your social credit score isn't high enough to buy a firearm sorry.

with cards you have alot less chance of employee theft, you have less chance of worrying about wether your till was on or not and you don't have to make deposits. I am not a fan, but from an employers side, i guess it makes sense. It keeps the employees honest.

Reactions: TVW

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
with cards you have alot less chance of employee theft, you have less chance of worrying about wether your till was on or not and you don't have to make deposits. I am not a fan, but from an employers side, i guess it makes sense. It keeps the employees honest.
As an employer, the employees have a harder time stealing from you. As a customer, it's easier for them to copy my credit card number than take the rest of the cash from my wallet after I've left.

KenLee

WKR
I don’t like it but the last couple of sporting events I went to were card only. You couldn’t get anything in a concession stand with cash. It’s just a convenience for them, no trips to the bank for deposits, no counting down cash drawers, easier to train employees and as mentioned above no robberies.

It’s amazing to me the number of people I know that under no circumstances carry cash, ever.
I've quit paying their way. Walk off and laugh when they need cash. Most are well practiced moochers

CorbLand

WKR
Doesn’t surprise me. Cash is a PITA to deal with and very few people use it anymore. I would spend two hours a week reconciling and depositing cash for a government entity. I think the most I ever deposited was 100 bucks. They paid me 90 just to do it.

It still sucks though and I agree that it’s just a push to a cashless society which is not good.

Another one I learned last week. The bank I have used for 30 plus years doesn’t do auto loans for private sales anymore. They only work with dealerships.

Ramem7mm

FNG
Cards are way more convenient than going to the bank every week and getting a withdrawal and keeping track of all the change and bills etc. However, I agree that the big brother aspect is using the convenience against us. Not sure what the alternative is when the change is already happening.

MThuntr

WKR
They're already being sued over it

I don't carry much cash these days though on those types of trips, I have a tendency to carry more cash for emergencies...bumming a ride into town if my truck breaks down etc. As stated less cash = less employee training/theft/till screw-ups. It has the opportunity for foreign visitors to pay without having to worry about cash exchange (though basic planning fixes that issue).

I don't like that they're going 100% cashless though because that takes a % away from the the parks that goes to the credit card companies. I'm not sure the gov't or CC companies give a damn about your parks visitation records on your card...the foil hats are taking care of any interference...not to mention you probably swiped a card 6 times before you even got there.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I don't like that they're going 100% cashless though because that takes a % away from the the parks that goes to the credit card companies. I'm not sure the gov't or CC companies give a damn about your parks visitation records on your card...the foil hats are taking care of any interference...not to mention you probably swiped a card 6 times before you even got there.
….while carrying a cell phone which the boogie man can track all the while.

On the cost of card, I would bet it is more cost-effective for the NPS to use card versus cash. They would either be paying a bank to get the cash there and back or an employee to get it to or from the bank (wages plus mileage). Not to mention the added cost of internally accounting for cash as previously described.