Now Available for Preorder - Zamberlan KUIU Pamir Boot

Earlier today, we released for Preorder the Zamberlan KUIU Pamir boot. We anticipate receiving the boots in early November and shipping will begin then. The boot is designed for high level technical mountaineering and mountain hunting. They are ideal for use in extremely steep rocky terrain and on high glacier and mountain routes. This is a limited run, so if you are interested, you may want to consider ordering sooner vs. later.

Below is a link to more information, including a video, Jason's Blog post and some of the technical features of the boots. If you would like to preorder, call customer service at (855) 367-5848.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=6b6fd99fe17ac245526a52fd1&id=ac10d6be7c&e=

http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/09/19/introducing-the-zamberlan-kuiu-pamir-gtx-rr/

TECHNICAL FEATURES
• Hancrafted in Italy
• 2.23 lbs. per boot (size 8 ½)
• Perwanger Leather & Superfabric Upper
• Zamberlan Hydrobloc Tanning Treatment
• Varying Leather Thickness for proper boot formation and durability
• Rubber Reinforced Rand for added upper protection
• GORE-TEX Performance Comfort waterproof breathable membrane
• Zamberlan Flex GT Full Shank for proper support and stiffness
• Z-Tech Technical Last for exact shaping of the inside and outside of the boot
• High Resistance Treated Hardware
• Lace Hooks with pulleys for smooth operation and reduced wear
• Mid-Point lace Cam-Lock for bottom and top custom boot fit
• GORE-TEX Bootee construction
• Z-Thermo Comfort Fit Footbed
• Zambian Air System allows for better air circulation in the boot
• Thermoplastic Polyurethane treatment added to the toe and heel
• Vibrim Teton Sole for multi-traction
• Dual Density PU wedge provides cushioning and support
• Pro Crampon System for easy crampon use
• Patented Foot Wrapping System to properly form the upper
• Double boot tongue allows for specific customized fit
• Partial Integrated Gaiter to prevent snot & debris from entering the boot

thinkin i will try these.... i like stiff boots, savior of my ankles, would rather be able to walk any terrain, any angle than have problems navigating spires of rock etc to the next basin.... i wear 9.5 in la sportiva would the same size apply to these?

I posted this on the KUIU blog and figured I go ahead and post it here as well.
I gotta say when comparing these to the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX or the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX, I don’t see much of a difference. Gore Tex, Vibram, high volume rubber rand, crampon compatible, hand crafted in Northern Italy by a reputable company, etc, etc. With the exception of color, they even look almost identical. Price point and even wt. are all pretty much the same although the Scarpa’s are alittle lighter (2 lbs/boot size 42 euro), and cheaper at just over $400/pr. Am I missing something here? I’m not at all trying to knock these boots, just trying to figure out what’s the big advantage that these have over their competitors. One thing that is very important to me when fitting myself for a new pair of mountaineering boots, is being able to go to a local store like REI or here in AK. AMH or Barney's and trying multiple manufactures' boots on to see what fits me best. These stores even have little imitation rocks to walk around on and experience different angles. I have a hard time dropping $500+ (after shipping) down on a pair of boots that I can't even try on first. Just sayin'.

Agreed about trying them on, there is not a chance I would ever buy a pair of boots without having them on my feet. I also don't see enough of a difference cosmetically for the original zams'. No vias, verde, or even the ram badging, not a really big deal but these are suppose to be a Kuiu boot are they not?

they are pricy....... thinkin $400 is about my max for a boot befor tax. they do look like a great boot but ya $500 nice? have to think about this one....

idig4au

WKR
Good points. I think just another boot to compete with the other dedicated mountaineering boots out there, but not in obnoxious colors for the dedicated mountain hunter. But having said that, what is the advantage of this boot verses the Zamberlan Ibex boots which I use with much satisfaction? Maybe improved lacing hardware? I think the Pamirs would be a very good boot and I would be tempted to try them out, but I'm happy with the Ibex model w/ synergy insoles as well as they have many miles left in them before needing to be replaced. I think Jason was just trying to bring another high quality purpose specific boot out to the market through Zamberlan. I think it's a good project and I hope its successful. I don't think any reason to be critical at all....I like options and new technology brought forward.

I can never find the boots I'm after in stores, so I'm used to ordering them up with fingers crossed. Its the way of life. The REI closest to "home" when I'm in country never has any high level boots and I can't stand the cliental in there, so mail order for me.

Kotaman

WKR
As far as I can tell the big difference between this boot and some of the other high end mountaineering boots mentioned is mainly twofold:

1. - No insulation.
2. The sole is more flexible.

These two changes alone make the boot a better choice for hunters than say the regular Ibex, the regular Pamir, some of the Scarpas, LaSportivias or several other high end mountain boots.

Tiger Rag

WKR
agreed..... boots are mostly ordered online for me as well. send them back for a refund if your bummed on them.

That's it exactly. That's why I ordered a pair the first day. I really like my Expert Ibex's but it would be nice to have a non-insulated boot with slightly more flex in the shank. Seems like Jason hit the nail on the head on this. We'll see for sure when they arrive. If they fit the same as the Ibex's I should be golden.

You can't get high end mountaineering boots around here, so my best option is to order, try them on the carpet, keep or send back. I've done this several times with reasonable success. I'll send these Kuiu Pamir's back if they don't work for me as well.

They do look interesting, and if they are successful I'm sure Zamberlan will offer them as a regular stocked boot as the ties to Kuiu seem to be very thin. I think there is a good reason why there is no Kuiu markings on the boot.

Tiger Rag

WKR
They do look interesting, and if they are successful I'm sure Zamberlan will offer them as a regular stocked boot as the ties to Kuiu seem to be very thin. I think there is a good reason why there is no Kuiu markings on the boot.

I would bet that Jason has a contract on them to be exclusive on them, at least for a period of time. Jason seems to be a pretty good business man so I'd be surprised if he didn't have a contractual agreement.

I posted this on the KUIU blog and figured I go ahead and post it here as well.
I gotta say when comparing these to the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX or the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX, I don’t see much of a difference. Gore Tex, Vibram, high volume rubber rand, crampon compatible, hand crafted in Northern Italy by a reputable company, etc, etc. With the exception of color, they even look almost identical. Price point and even wt. are all pretty much the same although the Scarpa’s are alittle lighter (2 lbs/boot size 42 euro), and cheaper at just over $400/pr. Am I missing something here? I’m not at all trying to knock these boots, just trying to figure out what’s the big advantage that these have over their competitors. One thing that is very important to me when fitting myself for a new pair of mountaineering boots, is being able to go to a local store like REI or here in AK. AMH or Barney's and trying multiple manufactures' boots on to see what fits me best. These stores even have little imitation rocks to walk around on and experience different angles. I have a hard time dropping $500+ (after shipping) down on a pair of boots that I can't even try on first. Just sayin'.

This pretty much sums up my opinion to the letter.... what makes these babies worth 500 bucks? they don't even say anything about KUIU on them from what I can tell. While I understand that kuiu is using "preorders" and things to try and get an idea on production size to keep costs low.... I absolutely hate the fact that no matter the product, you either have to "preorder" without any reviews by actual users and risk your money on a product that you may hate, or you have to wait for MONTHS for a chance to actually get the product yourself after hearing favorable customer reviews.

I love the few pieces of KUIU gear I have, I really wish they had their crap together enough to allow us to order them and get them in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes we don't have time or money to decide 6 months in advance that we need a new piece of gear.

Joe

Rizzy

WKR
Looks like a great boot, if I could afford them I would give them a try. I already use Zamberlan and know they fit great for my feet. My only concern is the lack of insulation. For fair weather these would be fine, like summer scouting, early season, or if your on the move all the time like with mountaineering. For sitting and glassing all morning during most of the hunting season my feet get cold with uninsulated boots.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Looks like a great boot, if I could afford them I would give them a try. I already use Zamberlan and know they fit great for my feet. My only concern is the lack of insulation. For fair weather these would be fine, like summer scouting, early season, or if your on the move all the time like with mountaineering. For sitting and glassing all morning during most of the hunting season my feet get cold with uninsulated boots.

Zamberlan (and others) already makes plenty of insulated mountain boots to choose from. That's why these are a departure from the norm. I've got 4 pairs of insulated mountain boots but no suitable uninsulated mountain boot. Other manufacturers may make an uninsulated mountain boot, but I haven't found one that works for my foot.

For those not wanting to spend $500 on a pair of boots, don't. You generally get what you pay for though. If you've got weird feet (unfortunately I do), sometimes you have to pay the man. Boots are your foundation. No other place, in my opinion, is your money better spent.

now this makes sense and is a respectable thought..... not having the kuiu label keeps them more attractive to me anyhow.... not into labels and such, its about the performance and think they might be what i have been looking for. then again maybe not, boots are ever changing in my boot quiver. personally my knees and feet demand performance in boots that need to be adaptive to how they feel. some aid them some promote injury with heavy loads, if that does not make sense then spend more time with weight and you will soon know what i mean. they are man made and will last a short time in the scheme of things so worth a try.