Not sure how to feel about Tribal Hunting…

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Duck valley in Idaho and Nevada seems managed quite well. But the issue of treaty rights involves far more than hunting on reservations. For example, treaty agreements regarding salmon fishing on the Columbia involve Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and even Canada, because minimum stream flows continue to be extensively negotiated. There are serious implications for hydropower and the entire Northwest energy grid.

Reactions: Duh

TxLite

WKR
Depending on the tribe it’s exactly how it works. I live a mile from two and work on both daily have a lot of experience.
My wife and kids are card carrying so this intrigues me. I’d imagine they need to be part of the tribe that manages the land they are attempting to hunt though.

This is one of my favorite retardo-takes.

Native Americans, like most any other culture, modified their lives as technologies developed and allowed. I don't know where you draw the line in time, maybe when the treaty was signed, but prior to that they adopted use of the horse and the firearm. By that logic one could say adaptation is a tradition in and of itself.

Which is why treaty "rights" hunting is merely a hobby now and not a necessity. Even for them...

Depending on the tribe it’s exactly how it works. I live a mile from two and work on both daily have a lot of experience.

Supposing it's tribe dependent. The ones I'm familiar with have to provide lineage, else I'd be up in Montana slaying bison to my heart's content.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
To be eligible for tribal enrollment you must have a minimum % of native bloodline. The lowest is 6.5%. Some tribes require as much as 50%/one parent is native America. The reservation I have hunted on requires 25%. I actually found this information on a site called, Pow Wow. com. Yes that is the actual name of the site.

ODB

WKR
To be eligible for tribal enrollment you must have a minimum % of native bloodline. The lowest is 6.5%. Some tribes require as much as 50%/one parent is native America. The reservation I have hunted on requires 25%. I actually found this information on a site called, Pow Wow. com. Yes that is the actual name of the site.

This is not universally applicable. I am a member of the Osage Nation. It is very complicated. Try to claim Osage membership without direct lineage to an original headright holder and …good luck.

Watch Killers of the Flower Moon to see the relevance of headrights.

jmez

WKR
Got a link?
He lives in Mobridge, SD. He doesn't need a link. He lives it every single day. I too was pretty idealistic and naïve when I moved to Mobridge. Not all tribes and reservations are the same. No different than anything else.
You can't talk about them in 1 scope.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also a Hopi tribal member. A person needs to provide proof of lineage before one can be a enrolled tribal member. It just does not go by blood quantum. As for hunting, we did not have outer hunts for elk and deer for the last 3 years due to not having a wildlife ecosystems director. This year is the first in 3 years that we finally have hunts since the tribe was able to find a director. Other wise the only way to get an elk or deer is to apply for a ceremonial permit to harvest.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
I have no problem with them sorting it out their own way. What I don’t like is when they roll up on me in the dark to tell me the last guy that hiked as close to the property line as me got shot at.

Your comments about “might have hunted bison” are not thought out correctly. If that’s how you feel why don’t you ride into the reservation on a wagon pulled by a team of oxen and load up your musket?

Last edited:
Triabl rights just recently changed here on the oregon coast. Each member is allowed 3 deer tags, an elk tag, unlimited cougar tags and 1 bear tag.
Bear season starts June 1 and goes through end of year, nobody else can hunt bears in Oregon until aug 1.
The deer season is Aug 1- Dec 31. 3 deer, any deer.
Elk season is Aug 1 through end of archery season they can shoot a spike or cow with a rifle or bull but I'm not 100% sure on the dates for bull harvest but believe bull is during state archery season. The day after archery season ends they can shoot any bull with a rifle through the end of December.
For them to just have free will to decimate the states game populations at will, just because their great great grand pappy hunted for subsistence is BS.
There isn't a treaty on earth or any planet in any form of reality where this should be allowed. Period. This is for the alsea/stott/siuslaw units. There are some other similar changes for tribes farther south that extend their season and bag limits as well.

Not to me mention all the elk/deer that get slaughtered by the Klamath tribe, and whatever tribes that get to waylay the bulls in NE Oregon. If you support any of this, you suck

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Would you go live on the rez to have the same right?
No but they (in Canada anyway) also don't live merely in their traditional ways on the rez either. They hunt with modern tech, modern vehicles, modern everything. Gone are the days of mukluks, moose hide clothes and trad archery tackle. Nothing about it is traditional anymore up here.