Not said enough---

Jmort1754

WKR
I see all the facebook posts and some on here about a new rifle that doesn't group well and man it only shoots 1 moa and not sub moa..

Why is it not brought up enough can the shooter actually shoot sub moa, just because the gun can doesn't mean the shooter can.

Kyguy

FNG
All these sub moa accuracy guarantees from rifle manufacturers are just marketing clap trap to draw people to their products. If they put the caveat "based on shooter ability", they might as well close their doors. As much as people like to brag about small groups, a 1 MOA rifle will kill any deer or other similar sized game you point the rifle at out to any distance out to at least 500 yds as long as the shooter does their part. The last time I read any stats on it, a couple years ago, the average hunter reported rifle deer kill east of the Mississippi is 80 yds and the west of it is 170 yds. So the good ole 30-30 lever action can still cover the majority of all deer killed in the US.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I used to get all hung up on that as well. Today I was sighting in a rifle and getting some rounds down the barrel of a brand new 6.5prc. It was HOT. Rifle wasn’t grouping sub MOA at 100 yd sight in target. More along the lines of 1-1.5”, some a little worse. Bothered me for a second. It was factory ammo all of the same lot but mv’s were all over the place. Some as much as 65fps difference. Bothered me for a few minutes. Then i just decided to shoot 700 & 800 steel. I got first round impacts on both pretty much center/center and a few after on a smoking hot barrel. Mirage and wind weren’t great either. I ended the day happy. I would have loved to be shooting better groups but it just wasn’t happening. I’ll let it cool down some and regroup over the next few weeks. It’ll still kill as far as I plan on shooting.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Hunting rifles are not sub MOA rifles, especially if a reasonable weight to carry.

I have gotten sub MOA 10 round groups out of both of mine, but sub 1.5 MOA is the norm (for those two rifles). 3 shots sub MOA is meaningless.

Last edited:

Long Cut

WKR
Almost every deer I’ve shot with a rife has been free-handed. Not off of a bag or bench. That’s just how it goes.

IMO we as hunters need to focus more on practicing and technique, than gear. It may be “easier” to buy success or precision, but achieving it through hard work is more rewarding, IMO.