Nosler E Tip loading problem

416safari

FNG
I have some Nosler E Tip 30 cal bullets and was trying to develop a load for my rifle. I loaded the same way I have always loaded and measure the OAL and set back about 5 thousandths.

My target looks like I was shooting buckshot. My rifle is normally extremely accurate.

What am I doing wrong?

hiker270

WKR
I tried some Nosler E Tip in my 300 mag. Groups didn't look quite like buckshot but none the less I could not find a load that suited me at all. Now the Barnes TTSX was a different story with sub MOA groups. I personally prefer the Nosler Accubonds for Elk and Moose over the all copper bullets.

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
I never had that issue with the E-Tips out of my .308, but I also changed over to the Barnes TTSX. Grouped better with the same velocity.

JFK

WKR
Am I reading correctly that they only have 5 thousandths jump? I’d try 50 thousandths, then 100. If no luck after that it would be powder swap time, or just bail on them and try a different bullet.

bonepoint

FNG
I have tried the e-tips in several rifles. Most just did not like them. I did just find a Tikka M695 tikka 270 that loves them. They do seem to be really sensitive to seating depth, so try a few different seatings depths 30-40 thousands apart. Even that Tikka shoots into 0.5 MOA groups at 3.365", but opens up to 2" groups at 3.305".

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried the e-tips in several rifles. Most just did not like them. I did just find a Tikka M695 tikka 270 that loves them. They do seem to be really sensitive to seating depth, so try a few different seatings depths 30-40 thousands apart. Even that Tikka shoots into 0.5 MOA groups at 3.365", but opens up to 2" groups at 3.305".

I have an old Tikka M695 .270. I love that gun but haven’t tried any all copper bullets in it.

As JFK stated above, quite a few solid copper bullets like a bit of jump to the lands (20k to 120k off lands). E-tips don't deform/dispace as easy as cup and core when they enter the rifling (or have the relief rings like barnes). Might want to work up loads starting and ending in that spectrum and see if that makes a difference. You may be able to adjust charge for more velocity as well before seeing pressure signs by giving them some jump.