Nosler 150 ABLR in 6.5 PRC

Tcorsini

FNG
Anyone have any information on loading the Nosler 150gr ABLR in 6.5 PRC? Tried several different loads with H1000 and they shot terrible. Some of the newer information that I have seen is saying that these bullets like more jump. Going to try that next but just checking for information since these bullets are so hard to find…

The ABLR is a great bullet design but they are the most finicky on I have ever used. I only have 2 cartridges that will shoot them well out of about 8 I’ve tried them in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

56.4 grains H1000 with a .100 jump shoots well in mine. But 61 grains of Magnum with the same jump shoots even better. .050, .070, and .125 jump all shot awful.

mtmojo

FNG
My mag is .059 from the lands so I'm going to try going out to the .09 to .150 as a test from reading the above comments. Thanks for the info.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
If it shot terrible at one seating depth, it will likely shoot terrible at any seating depth. I'd be enlightened to see sufficient and credible evidence proving otherwise, but so would the ballisticians at Hornady and Applied Ballistics.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
If it shot terrible at one seating depth, it will likely shoot terrible at any seating depth. I'd be enlightened to see sufficient and credible evidence proving otherwise, but so would the ballisticians at Hornady and Applied Ballistics.
I don't think that's completely true at all. We all have our own opinions. I know many competitor shooters work in .003 or .006 increments for seating depth. There is a difference and seating depth can make a difference. There's plenty of factors to pick from that can effect accuracy.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't think that's completely true at all. We all have our own opinions. I know many competitor shooters work in .003 or .006 increments for seating depth. There is a difference and seating depth can make a difference. There's plenty of factors to pick from that can effect accuracy.
Opinion is what you think, fact is what is proven on paper. I can't find a single example of a statistically valid sample size that proves seating depth can improve the accuracy of a given load, but there are thousands of data points from ballisticians that say they don't see those trends. Test it for yourself with a larger sample size, it's an eye opener.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Opinion is what you think, fact is what is proven on paper. I can't find a single example of a statistically valid sample size that proves seating depth can improve the accuracy of a given load, but there are thousands of data points from ballisticians that say they don't see those trends. Test it for yourself with a larger sample size, it's an eye opener.
Your fact is your opinion. Thanks for giving your opinion and taking the thread off topic. You are more than welcomed to create your own thread about seating depths. This isn't the help I asked for.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Your fact is your opinion. Thanks for giving your opinion and taking the thread off topic. You are more than welcomed to create your own thread about seating depths. This isn't the help I asked for.
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/seating-depth-does-it-even-matter.311743/ Here is that thread. I don't think answering a question with a provable point is derailing a thread. YMMV.

I see you're new, might want to poke around and read some threads from other members that have supplied a wealth of knowledge on the subject, before taking a defensive stance.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
"I get it. I have a couple rifles I'm at peace with. I have been learning slowly and sometimes you'll keep chasing when it's not going to get there. I just learned that with one of my rifles a couple hundred dollars in bullets later." - your quote from another thread

So, which is it? Seating depth can make a difference and there are plenty of factors that can effect accuracy, or sometimes you'll keep chasing when it's not going to get there?

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
"I get it. I have a couple rifles I'm at peace with. I have been learning slowly and sometimes you'll keep chasing when it's not going to get there. I just learned that with one of my rifles a couple hundred dollars in bullets later." - your quote from another thread

So, which is it? Seating depth can make a difference and there are plenty of factors that can effect accuracy, or sometimes you'll keep chasing when it's not going to get there?
Seating makes a difference. Going from 1.
25" to just under 3/4" just by adjusting seating depth for me personally. I am referring to chasing a certain number. I am glad you enjoy commenting and trying to ascert your dominance. You don't know everything nor do I.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Seating makes a difference. Going from 1.
25" to just under 3/4" just by adjusting seating depth for me personally.
Proof?
I am referring to chasing a certain number. I am glad you enjoy commenting and trying to ascert your dominance. You don't know everything nor do I.
Not asserting or claiming anything, just repeating results of ballisticians who have legitimately tested the theory.

Flyjunky

WKR
If you listen to the Hornady podcast they say that in some combos seating depth can make a difference, especially in bullets with a long give length. To state it doesn’t make a difference is ridiculous.

Take a bullet jammed into the lands and then set it 125 thou off and tell me it doesn’t affect group size. Go tell a benchrest guy to seat the bullet anywhere because it doesn’t make a difference.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
If you listen to the Hornady podcast they say that in some combos seating depth can make a difference, especially in bullets with a long give length. To state it doesn’t make a difference is ridiculous.
I've listened to it repetitively, and they say that or chamber geometry MIGHT be a circumstance where it could make a difference, but they haven't seen it proven. It might be ridiculous to you, but there's an 8 page thread I started on the exact subject with 0 posts of valid proof.
Take a bullet jammed into the lands and then set it 125 thou off and tell me it doesn’t affect group size. Go tell a benchrest guy to seat the bullet anywhere because it doesn’t make a difference.
Will do, after hunting season. Benchrest guys also use 2 shot "groups" to "tune loads", and use an aggregate to label the precision of their rifles. Since you referenced the Hornady podcast I would assume you understood the statistical variability of sample and group size segment, but apparently not.

Flyjunky

WKR
I've listened to it repetitively, and they say that or chamber geometry MIGHT be a circumstance where it could make a difference, but they haven't seen it proven. It might be ridiculous to you, but there's an 8 page thread I started on the exact subject with 0 posts of valid proof.

Will do, after hunting season. Benchrest guys also use 2 shot "groups" to "tune loads", and use an aggregate to label the precision of their rifles. Since you referenced the Hornady podcast I would assume you understood the statistical variability of sample and group size segment, but apparently not.
I’ve listened to the podcast multiple times and was part of all the threads on here.

So, by your reasoning we can just load a round at any seating depth and it will shoot just as good than any other? No need to test seating depth for anything? From jam to seated really deep will make no difference?

Isn’t an aggregate just an average?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve listened to the podcast multiple times and was part of all the threads on here.

So, by your reasoning we can just load a round at any seating depth and it will shoot just as good than any other? No need to test seating depth for anything? From jam to seated really deep will make no difference?
At this point, that's what I believe. Before I became a member I believed in Cortina and all the big shots with their powder charge and seating depth load tuning, but my observations didn't align with what they were saying. Once I found some of the info dumps from Form, and more recently Litz and the Hornady guys, it made sense. I can't find a single documented statistically valid example of different seating depths making a difference on the precision of a load. Even Miles in the video said "I seat my bullet 25-30 thousandths off the lands and forget my seating die is adjustable".

Isn’t an aggregate just an average?
On single yardage matches yes. But that means it shot bigger groups than whatever that average is.

Flyjunky

WKR
At this point, that's what I believe. Before I became a member I believed in Cortina and all the big shots with their powder charge and seating depth load tuning, but my observations didn't align with what they were saying. Once I found some of the info dumps from Form, and more recently Litz and the Hornady guys, it made sense. I can't find a single documented statistically valid example of different seating depths making a difference on the precision of a load. Even Miles in the video said "I seat my bullet 25-30 thousandths off the lands and forget my seating die is adjustable".

Interesting that he doesn't shoot at .200 off or jammed. I'd like to see someone do 2 20 shot groups where the bullet is seated at jam and .200" off. I'll predict there is a difference in groups. It's funny in their ballistics podcast they talk about how straight the bullet enters the lands is very important to accuracy and at the same time say seating depth doesn't have any affect. The two are tied to each other because, like they said, chambers are very different and some older chamber designs aren't good in that regard.

sorry to the op for the hijack, I'm done.