Northwest Fire Danger

To dovetail in @Wrench post, fire restrictions are starting to pop up here in Idaho. This is one of the earliest starts to restrictions that I can remember. We used to go to hoot owl hours pretty often when I worked in the woods. Hopefully we get some rain , as we are a lightening storm away from a mess.
Best of luck to all you guys that have early open tags!

If it keeps up I bet we see stage 2 restrictions soon on every forest/region and potlatchdeltic lands closed to the public. Had dry lightning the other morning. Around 50 strikes and small fires so far here. Eastern Oregon got hammered with lightning last Wednesday too.

Marshfly

WKR
Fires are popping here in Montana daily. We went to Stage 2 restrictions here in Missoula last week.

We have one active fire about 8 miles southeast of the house and had I think 4 or 5 starts within 20 miles in the past week. It’s pretty wild right now.

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
Here in W. Oregon the industrial timber has been closed to public access for most of the summer, except along the coast. The IFPL has come down one level, though, so I’m hoping a few more rains and they’ll open back up. I’ve got a bear tag that needs filled!

OP
Customweld
The Wapiti and Nellie fires are putting a hurt on a couple of units in the Sawtooth Zone.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Over 1.5M acres have burned in Oregon this year and lots of fire season left to go. I think thats 100's of thousands more than any other state. Not something you want to be first place in..

I know of 3 units so far that ODFW is offering to return points on. Just got the ODFW email yesterday. My unit has tens of thousands of acres burned right where we hunt, but I dont think any points will be reissued.

OP
Customweld
Over 1.5M acres have burned in Oregon this year and lots of fire season left to go. I think thats 100's of thousands more than any other state. Not something you want to be first place in..
You guys got hit hard this year. Sad to hear.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
You guys got hit hard this year. Sad to hear.
Yeah, this has been a rough one. Hoping we get an early cool off this year for the east side of the state at least. Not even hitting 70 here today, but that will be short lived. Around 90 again by opening day of archery elk/deer.

manitou1

WKR
We have a 200,000 acre fire burning here in Johnson and Campbell County Wy right now. Zero contained and wind is kicking again today.

It started near us Wed and has been going since.

WY has fires scattered throughout the state right now.

If you have a muley 17, 26 or 29 tag, elk 129, or antelope 22 tag you may be in for a tough season depending on where you hunt.

WG&F is surveying those areas to see what losses have been had.
No brouse/ grass left in some of these areas.

wapitibob

WKR
Odfw is refunding money and giving a point if a hunter chooses not to hunt in a few select units. Another option to exchange for a gen tag.

It's absolutely dumping rain in the NW today and tomorrow. Should have a couple inches by the time it's done. Eastern OR and the cascades should get their first freeze of the season tomorrow. First snow in some higher areas too. The fire threat will get knocked down significantly.

We have a 200,000 acre fire burning here in Johnson and Campbell County Wy right now. Zero contained and wind is kicking again today.

It started near us Wed and has been going since.

WY has fires scattered throughout the state right now.

If you have a muley 17, 26 or 29 tag, elk 129, or antelope 22 tag you may be in for a tough season depending on where you hunt.

WG&F is surveying those areas to see what losses have been had.
No brouse/ grass left in some of these areas.
200,000 acres in 2 days is insane.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Are you clueless or just don't care? Most of the Boise National Forest is off limits now. They are burning up the central part of the forest. Wapiti is about to hit highway 21 at Elk Mountain area out of Stanley the other half of Wapiti is going into Bulltrout lake and it's fire.
The Nellie is around Deadwood Res and had hit highway 17 at Danskin area.
The Snag fire has shut down the Warm Lake highway and did jump it. Threatened Warm Lake area.
I guess if it isn't your hunting area or camping areas no one cares.

OP
Customweld
Yeah, I care but what are you going to do about it? The FS isn't going to change their strategy. They lumped those fires together with the 2 burning on West Mtn and monkeyed around with them until they blew up. Pretty typical SOP.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
It's absolutely dumping rain in the NW today and tomorrow. Should have a couple inches by the time it's done. Eastern OR and the cascades should get their first freeze of the season tomorrow. First snow in some higher areas too. The fire threat will get knocked down significantly.
Would be nice for the entire state to get drenched with this next front, but not sure how much EO will get. I think here in Oregon we got some snow at higher elevations last night or this morning. Seeing some videos of it. I am south of Portland and it rained last night and it just started to rain again right now.