Northstar Vs Kenai packable

Hello everyone, I'm looking at the Northstar gloves and the Kenai packable gloves. I'm looking for something that's going to be really warm while glassing on a Late Season hunt in Wyoming and Montana. Yet Versible and waterproof.

They make the down glommits for glassing too. Pretty warm but not waterproof or anything.

Jethro

WKR
Northstar is a good glove. Warm, waterproof, very well made. I wear mine a lot. For true glassing glove, the Northstar Glommit is good choice. Really warm, room to put a handwarmer in. I've worn them glassing and for long sits in a stand when its really cold.

Can't help you with Kenai gloves.

ljalberta

WKR
Older thread, so you may have already found your answer or ordered the gloves. I recently received both. Limited use as they’ve been out in the cold, but no extensive experience as of yet with them. Northstar are quite warm, but for where I hunt, they won’t be a glassing glove for late season. More of a late season active glove or a glassing glove when the weather hasn’t turned for the worst.

Kenai packable glove will be more of an early season glassing mitt or to supplement thin gloves in that early/mid season.

Unless you have very mild falls, then it won’t cut it as a glassing glove for late season.

I use down mitts for glassing in late season. Hand warmers can be tossed inside for when the weathers dropping around that -20 and colder weather.

Last edited:
I just wore my northstar gloves for co elk. Temps 2-20*. They were ok. Fine with a small hand warmer in each but not without. For those temps, I would have preferred mittens and possibly something heavier On the colder days.

OP
Mountainman007
Thank you everyone for a nice over all answer to my question. This is why I keep coming back to you all!!
:D:D:D

I decided on getting the packable gloves, but that was a mistake. I went on a cow elk hunt in Montana. There was already about 8 or more inches of snow when I got to my cabin. The temps were between 20 and 5 degrees all the time I was there. My hands were ok when hiking, but the gloves did NOT wick the sweat away when hiking so when I stopped and glassed the sweat froze my hands, when I took off the gloves just for a few seconds, then back on they your freezing inside the glove. Almost unbearable. I am going to try the Glomitts next time.