Northern Virginia Newbie

quietmind

FNG
I already posted in the FNG, but I am looking for a place to start for bowhunting here in NoVA. I live on the cusp of Springfield and Alexandria, so I'm close to quite a bit; I have no hunting background but some decent backpacking here and there under my belt.
Anyone around here, southern MD, or DC?

Most guys aren't going to be too quick to give up information on hunting areas. It leads to them getting flooded. If you are looking for archery clubs to learn or practice more, that's a different story, most of those places enjoy and welcome more people.

You aren't too far from a good bit of public land. I'd start going out for hikes and finding some areas. It's a long learning curve, and a mentor will help, but you will be more likely to meet a mentor while out and about then on the internet, in my opinion.

There are a few members here from your area, maybe they will chime in and be a little more helpful.

OP
Q

quietmind

FNG
Most guys aren't going to be too quick to give up information on hunting areas. It leads to them getting flooded. If you are looking for archery clubs to learn or practice more, that's a different story, most of those places enjoy and welcome more people.

You aren't too far from a good bit of public land. I'd start going out for hikes and finding some areas. It's a long learning curve, and a mentor will help, but you will be more likely to meet a mentor while out and about then on the internet, in my opinion.

There are a few members here from your area, maybe they will chime in and be a little more helpful.
Oh, sorry; I think I misphrased what I meant.

I don't want to know of good spots, I'm looking for a mentor for the skillset; not so much the best spots to do things. Looking for the right way to enter the community, not to move in on what's probably already a saturated region.

Gutshotem

WKR
I worked with a guy a few years ago that did pretty well hunting on fort belvoir. I don't know any specifics but might be something to look into.

prm

WKR
I‘ve hunted the Fairfax program for nearly ten years. Great program. Though, they have decimated the deer numbers in the park I hunt with the nighttime culls.

Or has anyone joined any Fairfax county archery cubs?

Might look at Manahoac Bowmen, little bit from Fairfax, but not that far depending on the time of day. Decent outdoor range.

Has anyone ever done the urban hunts in Fairfax county on here?
I was in the Archer program for a few years. Killed a bunch, but the requirements were a bit too annoying to keep up with when I have a bunch of really good private spots. By annoying to keep up with; I mean there are county requirements and then whatever group you're assigned to will have their own little requirements which can be annoying. I highly recommend the program for getting your feet wet in Archery. You'll get enough kills under your belt to help you get rid of the post shot shakes.

But like i said I have enough private thats waay easier to navigate to and great quality bucks so I don't do the program anymore, but if I loose my private spots I'll be back in the program

Or has anyone joined any Fairfax county archery cubs?

I have a friend thats a member there. He just brought me there as a guest last week. Challenging course not as majestic as the TAC locations but still challenging. Targets are great condition too