Northern Missouri Public Land Pressure

Ericbell

FNG
I just want to say that I'm in no way looking for information pertaining to where to hunt, or what conservation areas have the biggest/most deer! I love to scout and find my own spots but being 13 hours away makes it a bit hard. So I have 4 conservation areas on my hit list to check out for the gun season. I will have 2 days (thursday and friday) prior to the season to try and scout them! Just looking at topo maps, terrain and access points/trails, I have ranked these: 1. Lake Paho CA 2. Emmett and Leah Seat CA 3. Wayne Helton CA 4. Grand Trace CA. The question I most interested in, is how much hunter pressure is at these CA's? I'm not afraid to get 2 miles from the truck but most of these CA's have alot of parking areas that provide too much access for hunters!

My top 2 picks (Paho & Emmett/Leah) have a major benefit, they allow ebikes! However, both of these areas are archery/muzzleloader only during the gun season. This may be a benefit tho when it comes to hunting pressure. Has anyone ever hunted these 2 CA's during the gun season? Is the pressure extremely heavy?

The next 2 units allow rifle hunting but ebikes are not allowed on the access trails. This could be a benefit since most hunters only tend to walk a short distance. But I would anticipate pressure to be high bc rifles are permitted on these CA's. Has anyone ever hunted these 2 CA's during the gun season? Is the pressure extremely heavy?

Once again, i'm not looking to steal anyone's spot, just want to be able to get the most out of my 2 days of scouting prior to the start of rifle season. PM's are welcome as well if you don't want to post a reply in this thread!

Rober2wt

FNG
I can’t comment on the mentioned areas in MO (though I will be following to listen to whatever info anyone is willing to share), but having hunted mostly public my whole life… don’t expect to identify an obvious area of interest on a map, go there, and expect to have it to yourself. Also don’t underestimate people’s willingness to travel, especially with today’s, “you gotta to deep!” mentality. Inversely, don’t overlook that spot right next to the parking lot.

Boots on the ground will probably answer a lot of questions. Good luck regardless!

OP
E

Ericbell

FNG
I can’t comment on the mentioned areas in MO (though I will be following to listen to whatever info anyone is willing to share), but having hunted mostly public my whole life… don’t expect to identify an obvious area of interest on a map, go there, and expect to have it to yourself. Also don’t underestimate people’s willingness to travel, especially with today’s, “you gotta to deep!” mentality. Inversely, don’t overlook that spot right next to the parking lot.

Boots on the ground will probably answer a lot of questions. Good luck regardless!
I never expect to be the only person on a piece of public ground and have it to myself! What I'm mainly interested in is if the CA's that allow rifle hunting are super crowded vs the CA's that are black powder only. IMO, I prefer to have some hunters on public ground to get the deer moving.

bnsafe

WKR
there is a area about 2 miles from my house that is archery/blackpowder only and I thought that would be awesome during rifle season. Well, everyone else did to evidently. There were alot of cars there opening weekend last year. I have zero knowledge of the areas you listed, never heard of them. But know lots of people hone in on those kinds of areas thinking the same thing you are. I always thought the duck places like fountain grove and grand pass would be great cause they dont allow any gun hunting but Ive never hunted either.
I will say it gets busier starting next weekend thru the first weekend of rifle. prior to and after that not many people hunt.

Scrappy

WKR
I just want to say that I'm in no way looking for information pertaining to where to hunt, or what conservation areas have the biggest/most deer! I love to scout and find my own spots but being 13 hours away makes it a bit hard. So I have 4 conservation areas on my hit list to check out for the gun season. I will have 2 days (thursday and friday) prior to the season to try and scout them! Just looking at topo maps, terrain and access points/trails, I have ranked these: 1. Lake Paho CA 2. Emmett and Leah Seat CA 3. Wayne Helton CA 4. Grand Trace CA. The question I most interested in, is how much hunter pressure is at these CA's? I'm not afraid to get 2 miles from the truck but most of these CA's have alot of parking areas that provide too much access for hunters!

My top 2 picks (Paho & Emmett/Leah) have a major benefit, they allow ebikes! However, both of these areas are archery/muzzleloader only during the gun season. This may be a benefit tho when it comes to hunting pressure. Has anyone ever hunted these 2 CA's during the gun season? Is the pressure extremely heavy?

The next 2 units allow rifle hunting but ebikes are not allowed on the access trails. This could be a benefit since most hunters only tend to walk a short distance. But I would anticipate pressure to be high bc rifles are permitted on these CA's. Has anyone ever hunted these 2 CA's during the gun season? Is the pressure extremely heavy?

Once again, i'm not looking to steal anyone's spot, just want to be able to get the most out of my 2 days of scouting prior to the start of rifle season. PM's are welcome as well if you don't want to post a reply in this thread!
During the gun season your going to get shot. Best get you a bullet vest and helmet.

You could not pay me to hunt N. Missouri public during gun season. I know the real odds of getting shot would be low but the quality of the hunt would be horrible.

OP
E

Ericbell

FNG
During the gun season your going to get shot. Best get you a bullet vest and helmet.

You could not pay me to hunt N. Missouri public during gun season. I know the real odds of getting shot would be low but the quality of the hunt would be horrible.
I hunt public ground in WV and we typically see ALOT of hunters. I'm usually the first one in the woods and setup at 5:30am and then I always see flashlights coming too me. when they see my light they just stop where they are at and stand there. I've learned that once you get a mile back in then you don't see too much pressure since alot of hunters aren't willing to walk 40 minutes to get to their stand. They would rather walk 500-600 yards and feel like they are good to go.

I don't mind having hunters in the woods, that helps to get the deer up and moving. Just don't want to look to my left and right and see orange 100 yards away!

Luked

WKR
We used to hunt N MO a lot years ago during rifle season. Most of the time it was for the extended doe hunt or Muzzleloader seasons.
We used to go to on CA and very seldome seen anyone other than our group. Now during the modern rifle season thats probably going to be a totally different story as its the most popular season we have here.
I would be more apt to go for an area that is archery/smokepole only area and use those weapons as they will still have people in them but not no where near as many as a moden rifle CA.
And a much less chance of getting shot.
Thats just me personally and I have been thinking of doing the same thing as my early season bow hunting is pretty much done for.

OP
E

Ericbell

FNG
I think it is hilarious when someone says not to hunt a place because you might get shot! It's gun season on public land, you are going to have company! Just trying to gauge how much less orange is going to be on the blackpowder property.

OP
E

Ericbell

FNG
Anyone else? feel free to send me a private message, all info is much appreciated!