North Idaho wolves

Cheston

FNG
Cheston, join F4WM.org and check out Stuck N the Rut on socials or YouTube.

I will. I just found out about them yesterday. I love it, definitely joining. I’ve checked out Stuck N Rut, do you know anyone who’s ever taken their course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheston

FNG
I know someone who has taken 7 already on his trapline. He pulled them til deer and elk hunts are over, no one likes have high dollar gear stolen by fellow "sportsmen".

That’s amazing (about 7 already)

Cheston

FNG
You can quiz the biologists on the winter areas for the herds....expect bulls and moose to be above these areas and expect wolves to hammer them.

I remember riding my sled into rainy creek off i90 and seeing over 30 elk carcasses just on the road....but that's in January/February.

Great advice. I feel like It should be way easier to get a hold of them now because it’s off-season for major hunting.

Cheston

FNG
Stop by the rose lake gas station and peek at the wall of fame. There's some obvious stars.

Any major saddle in the cda or joe is a good spot to begin looking. Not the ones everyone rides a sxs to....but look for the ones that are less traveled to complete remote.....and take some coyote urine.

Can’t wait to go check it out. Maybe I’ll head there tomorrow.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last weekend a report of a pack and a single were all over Grizzly mountain up the cda river…get up high an hr or two before light and listen…there is decent snow above 4500 ft for evidence of movement…good luck🤙

N.ID7803

WKR
I will. I just found out about them yesterday. I love it, definitely joining. I’ve checked out Stuck N Rut, do you know anyone who’s ever taken their course?

I have taken the course. Its pretty good and Tom is very open to answering questions you may have during or after the course.
The CDA chapter of F4WM has a monthly meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, in Rathdrum if you are interested in attending a meeting. Great group of people with lots of knowledge.

Cheston

FNG
Last weekend a report of a pack and a single were all over Grizzly mountain up the cda river…get up high an hr or two before light and listen…there is decent snow above 4500 ft for evidence of movement…good luck

Man I love this community!

Ross, where did you see the report? Also, do u recommend locator howling then moving in close and setting up predator call?

Should be able to make it to the next meeting in rathdrum.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talked to a friend who was hunting elk and he got close to the pack they were howling a good portion of the day.

Cheston

FNG
Got my F4WM membership today. So pumped to get up there. I’ll probably head on up up to Grizzly mountain off ur recommendation to start.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
From MN Here, land of 10,000 Wolves which our Dem Governor seem to ignore or give our DNR the right to Manage them now.....so moving on!

If you want to sit and Hunt them and watch Downwind, take a Frozen Turkey and set it in an open area you can scope, then take a 4'x4' piece of plywood and set it directly on top of the Turkey Centered, Then place the biggest rock you or you and a Buddy can center on top of the plywood. After a few days they will smell the Turkey and come for it, the key is to have the plywood big enough as they try to dig and get at the Turkey but they can't reach it due to the weight of the Rock and Plywood length. Works great for Yotes too..

They will keep coming back for the Turkey and will stay in the areas longer too. Of course be as scent free as possible when doing this. If you trap, place the traps where they will try to dig under the Plywood.
Cheaper option: Go to the butcher and get around five gallons worth of blood, offal, and otherwise smelly inedible stuff. Take a five gallon bucket, fill with offal/blood mixture. Using a dowel and some cordage, suspend an eye bolt in the mixture to where the shank is submerged but the eye is above "water" line. Freeze the bucket. You now have a difficult to eat but very attractive bait you can chain to an object, or even suspend. A smart man gets a super long eye bolt and bends the shank 90 degrees so it acts like a barb and works as a better anchor.

Cheston

FNG
Cheaper option: Go to the butcher and get around five gallons worth of blood, offal, and otherwise smelly inedible stuff. Take a five gallon bucket, fill with offal/blood mixture. Using a dowel and some cordage, suspend an eye bolt in the mixture to where the shank is submerged but the eye is above "water" line. Freeze the bucket. You now have a difficult to eat but very attractive bait you can chain to an object, or even suspend. A smart man gets a super long eye bolt and bends the shank 90 degrees so it acts like a barb and works as a better anchor.

That is genius!

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I met a gentleman last winter rolling through town with a sxs with tracks on a trailer. He told me that f&g is required to give out coordinates of collared predators if requested. He was fully outfitted in thermal/NV and was heading into the high country for a week on his buggy to chase collar coordinates. This was in Feb. Never heard from him again but that guy had it down to a science. Might be worth looking into.

I’m going to see if this is true for Montana. Having that information could save on gas and time!

BLJ

WKR
Interested in Montana and Idaho both as well about the collar information.

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
From MN Here, land of 10,000 Wolves which our Dem Governor seem to ignore or give our DNR the right to Manage them now.....so moving on!

If you want to sit and Hunt them and watch Downwind, take a Frozen Turkey and set it in an open area you can scope, then take a 4'x4' piece of plywood and set it directly on top of the Turkey Centered, Then place the biggest rock you or you and a Buddy can center on top of the plywood. After a few days they will smell the Turkey and come for it, the key is to have the plywood big enough as they try to dig and get at the Turkey but they can't reach it due to the weight of the Rock and Plywood length. Works great for Yotes too..

They will keep coming back for the Turkey and will stay in the areas longer too. Of course be as scent free as possible when doing this. If you trap, place the traps where they will try to dig under the Plywood.
Could you please post pics of wolves shot while using the turkey method?