North Face sleeping bags

I have the opportunity to get a north face bag for extremely cheap. I have narrowed it down to the following:
-blue kazoo
- furnace 35
-cats meow

Any help would be greatly appreciated, experience etc.

I have a cats meow, I think it's a 20 degree bag, which is for me generous. I'm good in it down to 25-30 degrees. I've had mine for 7-8 yrs and it would be a so so early season bag. I always got cold in mine in September in Colorado at the 9-10k altitude. I use a helium now. I still use it for the summer though.

full draw

FNG
I would steer clear. Had a north face and a kelty. Kelty was my older bag and i wanted to upgrade ..mainly because I liked the north face brand however it was wore out in 2 seasons and I'm back in my trusty kelty. I sleep on a cot without pad. Never on the ground.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the blue kazoo, and cats meow. Thought both were generous with their ratings, other than that they were ok.

I have a blue kazoo that's twenty years old still going strong. It's been over stuffed by tnf when they still did in house repair. Sad this company has stumbled so much

Mmcan

WKR
I would stay away from the tighter mummy style models. They're just too confining to be comfortable for me (6' 210lbs)
They make a reasonable bag, and for the price you're expecting to pay, it sounds like a good deal. But if it were for any camping with potential for extreme weather changes (mountains) I'd spend more for a quality bag like a western mountaineering (the badger is greatness!)

I have used a cats meows for +20 years. On my 3rd. Great bags for the price. I agree the temp ratings are probably a bit generous. Latest version of the cats meow is much narrower in the shoulders to me. I am a husky 6'2" and about 250 with 48" coat. I find myself too confined for comfort in the shoulders and arms. I have been keeping my eyes open for a bag with broader shoulders. Apart from fit on the latest bag, I am a happy customer.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the opportunity to get a north face bag for extremely cheap. I have narrowed it down to the following:
-blue kazoo
- furnace 35
-cats meow

Any help would be greatly appreciated, experience etc.

I have a 20 year old Cats meow that is still in good shape. Quite warm for the 20 degree rating. Can't say that the quality today would be the same as 20 years ago but I am very happy with the bag.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Hmm that's what I was thinking. I am not sure if the quality is there anymore. I haven't been able to put my hands on one of the bags but I am short and athletic. As for weather swings, it will be in Wyoming so chance of snow is always likely whether it's July or December.

Mmcan

WKR
As I said, I'd pay more to have a better bag unless these were for car camping or someplace where you can easily get better shelter
If needed.