Norma Evostrike lead free (tin)

toggy

FNG

I think it's very new, but has anyone had experience with this lead-free ammo? I bought some 30-06 to test out.

Tom

bbell

WKR
Google stalking directory. It’s a UK hunting forum. They’ve been around over in Europe for a while and seem to get decent reviews.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider

I think it's very new, but has anyone had experience with this lead-free ammo? I bought some 30-06 to test out.

Tom
I’ve been wondering about it too. I’ve had good luck with everything else from Norma. You should definitely post your results with it!

OP
T

toggy

FNG
I will test it out for accuracy soon enough and I can post my results. I'll probably get out and shoot it in January. I'll post everything that I learn about it.

I have some reservations about the makeup of the bullet but I'm in touch with Norma about it as well.

Hopefully a year from now I would have something to report back on how it performs on game. We are in Minnesota and likely what will happen is my daughter will shoot a whitetail deer that is less than 150 pounds and the shot will be within 90 yards.

I know some of you guys are shooting a few hundred yards at big animals... That's not what we're doing.

Tom

chamois

FNG
They are exactly the same bullet that Norma´s partner company, RWS, markets with the name Evo Green.

I have used them extensively in my 7x57R with a muzzle speed of 3,050 fps for culling mouflon ewes in my country and black and blue wildebeest in South Africa.

The front part fragments upon impact scattering the fragments as secondary projectiles forward and in a radial fashion as I have been able to track when making the autopsies. The shank remains intact and penetrates like no other bullet I have ever tested. So much that it took a few black wildebeest shot lengthwise to recover just two, the ones whose photo I attach.

They are not what you would call fast killers and everything that was not spined would run more than I like to see. In my opinion, the fragments it releases are too small, or the shank is unnecessarily large, which limits the amount of tissue they disrupt.

They are very accurate in my two Blaser K95s in 7x57R, shooting 5 shot groups in 0.7" at 109 yds (100 meters).

They work well, or at least like they are supposed to work, up to 400 yds or so. If loaded at 7x57 or 7-08 speeds I would not shoot them at anything at 500 yds or more.

Hope this helps but feel free to ask any questions,evo green.JPG

OP
T

toggy

FNG
They are exactly the same bullet that Norma´s partner company, RWS, markets with the name Evo Green.

I have used them extensively in my 7x57R with a muzzle speed of 3,050 fps for culling mouflon ewes in my country and black and blue wildebeest in South Africa.

The front part fragments upon impact scattering the fragments as secondary projectiles forward and in a radial fashion as I have been able to track when making the autopsies. The shank remains intact and penetrates like no other bullet I have ever tested. So much that it took a few black wildebeest shot lengthwise to recover just two, the ones whose photo I attach.

They are not what you would call fast killers and everything that was not spined would run more than I like to see. In my opinion, the fragments it releases are too small, or the shank is unnecessarily large, which limits the amount of tissue they disrupt.

They are very accurate in my two Blaser K95s in 7x57R, shooting 5 shot groups in 0.7" at 109 yds (100 meters).

They work well, or at least like they are supposed to work, up to 400 yds or so. If loaded at 7x57 or 7-08 speeds I would not shoot them at anything at 500 yds or more.

Hope this helps but feel free to ask any questions,View attachment 486140
Yes very helpful, thank you.

I have to hope I get good accuracy myself and then we'll see about shooting at an animal.

Tom

OP
T

toggy

FNG
Chamois, do you notice less recoil with Evostrike? In my 30-06, evostrike will be 40 grains lighter than the regular bullet we use.

chamois

FNG
Chamois, do you notice less recoil with Evostrike? In my 30-06, evostrike will be 40 grains lighter than the regular bullet we use.
In 7mm they weigh 127gr and, as I normally don’t go heavier than 140, they do not make a big difference recoilwise. They do when compared to 154-162 grainers which is the heaviest I go in the 7x57R.
As I sidenote, they are advertised as weighing 124gr but all that I have shot so far, coming from three different lots, have weighed from 126.8 to 127.0. Amazingly regular weights, by the way.

@chamois, reviving an old thread with an intentionally broad question. It seems you have a ton of experience and I’d appreciate your feedback! In your experience, is there a lead free bullet/ cartridge combo you’ve found impressive results with? Thanks in advance if you care to respond!

H80Hunter

WKR
I shot the 139 evo strike out of a 300 win mag before I sold it and they were very accurate but I never killed anything with them.

chamois

FNG
@chamois, ... In your experience, is there a lead free bullet/ cartridge combo you’ve found impressive results with? Thanks in advance if you care to respond!
No, results have never been impressive, at least on average, as if you shoot enough animals with them you will eventually get indivudual deads-right-there, more likely to happen with high impact velocities.

They tend to produce deep penetration with narrow wounds while lead core bullets, though (some of them) might not penetrate as much, still penetrate enough and produce much wider wounds which tend to produce more impressive kills.

Among the copper bullets that I have tried (RWS Evo Green, GS Custom, X, TSX, TTSX, LRX, E-TIP, LM KJG, SAX SR and SOLOGNE GPA) the best results have been with LRX as their efficiency did not drop too much with significant drops in impact velocity on "soft" animals, as was the case with all others.

And, of course I would care to respond! :)

No, results have never been impressive, at least on average, as if you shoot enough animals with them you will eventually get indivudual deads-right-there, more likely to happen with high impact velocities.

They tend to produce deep penetration with narrow wounds while lead core bullets, though (some of them) might not penetrate as much, still penetrate enough and produce much wider wounds which tend to produce more impressive kills.

Among the copper bullets that I have tried (RWS Evo Green, GS Custom, X, TSX, TTSX, LRX, E-TIP, LM KJG, SAX SR and SOLOGNE GPA) the best results have been with LRX as their efficiency did not drop too much with significant drops in impact velocity on "soft" animals, as was the case with all others.

And, of course I would care to respond! :)
Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it!

cmogan15

FNG
Im not a long range shooter, But tossed them in my 300WM and was hitting steel at 1100 yds out my my Sig Cross Magnum. I want to try to EcoStrike 168 GR to evaluate it for my hunting round.