Non-waterproof boots?

Creekbed

FNG
I am heading west next archery season for a OTC bull elk. I am looking for the right boot to buy. I am an avid whitetail and turkey hunter. When around home and do not have the long distance walks/hikes I usually wear my Salomon 3d ultras or if wet and cold my Lacross boots. The issue I have is on an out of state turkey hunt last year I crossed numerous creeks and a knee deep river going after birds. I took the insoles out of my Salomon shoes and hung them to dry. Being gortex they took 3 days to dry. My brother in law has taken the journey west for elk for 4 years and swears by non waterproof boots. Yes your feet are going to get wet but while he hunts or glasses he takes them off and they dry very quickly. He wears Asolo Neutrons and loves them. They have a stiff vibram sole for the packing. I am just curious if anyone else goes by this theory or if they just keep swapping out boots? I would rather not carry the extra weight in since we will be DIY spot and stalking. Thanks for any advice.

Some more informed perspectives will come along sooner or later in the meantime...to make goretex work best you sort of have to wear it. The heat of your body turns the water to vapor that flows through the micro pours in the membrane that the water droplets can't pass through. So goretex boots hung out to dry won't dry any faster and might dry slower than non goretex. I find wearing my boots helps dry them if they get wet.

Another trick I learned in the army is to wear your boots to bed. Put on your wet boots and then slip both feet in the stuff sack of your sleeping bag and then get in your sleeping bag. In the morning your boots are fairly dry and the stuff sack keeps your sleeping bag clean.

kodiakfly

WKR
It really depends on a lot of things. A high end boot that is 100% leather but no GTX is actually fairly waterproof for quick dunkings and getting wet for a short time. You're fine. Now if you're in a non GTX hiking boot with nylon panels, you'll have soaked feet in a quick rain or puddle crossing. Likewise, a GTX boot will soak your feet in dry weather if you're in hot conditions hiking and not letting them and your socks and feet dry out. But if you're going to be in an all-day soaking rain, GTX does it's thing just like your rain gear. I have both GTX and non GTX and even rubber boots that I hunt in.

As far as loads and hiking, it's not just the stiff sole but also the ankle support, heel lift, toe box room, and other factors. Put a Vibram sole on a pair of tennis shoes and you don't have hiking boots.

Personally, I can't stand gore tex and other membranes I've tried. I'm sure I do it wrong, but my feet always end up soaked, my torso is always soaked under a rain jacket... Might as well wear something that dries faster. I like one piece-ish leather boots treated with sno seal or obenhauf's. I like plastic or rubbery rain gear with a rag wool sweater underneath.

Someone will probably chime in about the care and feeding of membranes. I wouldn't mind learning.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never really had a problem archery hunting in CO and wet boots whether they had Gore-tex or not. I really don't even give it any thought. But I usually wear boots with a leather/cordura mix upper, as I think they breathe better.

OP
C

Creekbed

FNG
I understand not one part of the shoe makes it a quality "hiking boot". I will go with a boot that has a good sole, support, etc. I was more wondering if there were more pros than cons on gortex vs. non waterproof. I am going by what I was told and also previous experience with it. My last trip we went 40+ miles in 4 days on rough terrain . I can't imagine doing that in boots that got wet the first day and I couldn't get to dry out. My bti said his non waterproof dry out good in a matter of hours. Just curious on everyone else's opinions and experience.

I understand not one part of the shoe makes it a quality "hiking boot". I will go with a boot that has a good sole, support, etc. I was more wondering if there were more pros than cons on gortex vs. non waterproof. I am going by what I was told and also previous experience with it. My last trip we went 40+ miles in 4 days on rough terrain . I can't imagine doing that in boots that got wet the first day and I couldn't get to dry out. My bti said his non waterproof dry out good in a matter of hours. Just curious on everyone else's opinions and experience.

I gotta agree. My last trip to CO resulted in hiking out through a creek and my 6 yr old Danner Pronghorns kept me dry. My buddy's boots didn't and he caught a cold while riding the ATV back to the truck and trailer. I hate having wet feet especially while engaged in tough hiking. And we don't ever stop hunting long enough for boots to dry out.

I could never get more than a couple seasons out of a pair of Pronghorns without a blowout. Great boot for flatland hunting though.

Ever since LaCrosse bought Danner their product has suffered. How I wish I had bought about 10 pairs of them in 1995.....

JNDEER

WKR
There are very few companies that make hiking boots suitable for hunting that are not waterproof. Another company you can try is Vasque Breeze boots.

bcimport

WKR
No more GTX hiking boots for me. All leather with a good wax or a breathable synthetic. The sweat the gore tex creates most of the time isn't worth the times when it might keep your foot dry. If you have to cross major water just take the boots off. If it's going to be soaking wet all day you better just accept your feet are going to be wet regardless.