Nomads are up!

eyetat

FNG
I have a question is it just me ?.Only one back pack is talked about on this forum is this site owned and ran buy this pack maker or are most of you from the area where these packs are made?. Just saying, at my local gander mountain three nice pack mfgrs and none were kifaru.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a question is it just me ?.Only one back pack is talked about on this forum is this site owned and ran buy this pack maker or are most of you from the area where these packs are made?. Just saying, at my local gander mountain three nice pack mfgrs and none were kifaru.

Kifaru, stone glacier, mystery ranch, Kuiu or paradox can't be purchased at Gander Mountain.

Where are you from?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

You are right, Kifaru gets a lot of love here. There are also a lot of guys who inquire about the Stone Glacier packs. Paradox recently started sponsoring the site and there has been a lot of discussion there as well.

If you want to talk about the packs you saw, start a thread. You will get honest opinions here, and you will likely have a few tell you to keep saving for one of the others.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered mine in the Mandrake so I'll have to fix it on Thursday.

I think I might switch it to the coyote brown. I really like that color on the packs.

I like my Highlander pack too though.....

a3dhunter

WKR
I believe with more experience in packs you will end up stepping away from the selection at Gander mntn to a better quality pack. That is what most of the hunters on this site have already done.
Most of us have owned thousands of dollars of packs from the likes of Gander Mountain and Cabelas, and been disappointed with what we ended up with.

This site is very Heavy Kifaru fans... why? Because this site is full of guys that believe that going hard and deep for game and staying till they get the job done right is paramount. I want to know that not only will I have a pack that will make my life easier to hunt with, but will allow me to get my game out asap as to not let meat spoil. When you go in deep... you have to make big heavy trips to get game out quick without spoiling.

Many of us, if not all of us, have tried every other manufacturer out there... We find that Kifaru, MR, SG, KUIU, or Paradox are the bags that will allow us to do this.

Gander sells sitka, badlands, eberlestock, tenzing and similar packs. Not bad for most hunters, but many of us have tried them and they hav failed to meet our expectations... or just failed all together. They are Decent packs... but not inthe same class as the ones i mentioned above.

I choose Kifaru because I feel it is the best option for me, made in america, backed by a stellar group of guys, bombproof and designed by some of the greatest in the business... no matter how shitty they are at bowling. hahaha

This site has tons of kifaru supporters... but I think you have your cause and effect backwards. We do nto hunt hard because we have Kifaru... We have Kifaru because we hunt hard. Its no coincidence that when you get a big group of likeminded people together, they will share similar taste, needs and opinions. Its the best brand out there for me.

Joe

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
^Well put Joe^

I'm curious what the three are that you are talking about.

You will find that guys who like Kifaru, REALLY like Kifaru. There is a reason for that imo.

Aron Snyder works at Kifaru but he will give you some of the most honest feedback you can get about packs and all other gear.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
One other thing that is never really brought up, our first sponsors before Rokslide.com even had a pot to piss in where Kifaru, First lite and Kuiu! They should get some love!

lintond

WKR

A lot of the people on here use Kifaru because they've tried the other retail brands and found that Kifaru is superior. Most of the top pack manufacturers aren't available at your local retail outdoor store. Kifaru is sold direct, same with Kuiu and other top brands. These brands cost more but they are worth it!

One other thing that is never really brought up, our first sponsors before Rokslide.com even had a pot to piss in where Kifaru, First lite and Kuiu! They should get some love!

Not to side track but you have a good point. I love my Kuiu guide and puffy jacket. I trained all last winter in all sorts of weather for this springs marathon in a Kuiu guide jacket, great stuff!!!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not to side track further, but the foundation of Rokslide was built by First Lite, Kuiu, Kifaru and Vortex! Kifaru may have been first, but the others listed were close behind!

A big thanks to all of them!

eyetat

FNG
Happy NEW Year every one!. Ok I am from S/E Wi with places up north I use a large Alise pack with external frame for summer. ILBE main pac usmc GEN 2 for cold weather. These packs to me are like rifle slings thick for light clothes and thin for heavy clothes. Did not want to get any one all jacked up. I have eight or better packs here. Used for every thing from fishing expos to sporting events. I am looking to set up a once in a life time hunt out west and if a equipment change is needed I have no problem doing it. I also shoot pistols in 6.5 and .223 so changing back to rifle will be a challenge.

if you were to post these 3 brands that your local gander mountain sells, chances are this site is full of feedback (and likely failures) of these packs.
my kifaru packs have not let me down...

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer on the mandrake. I bought everything offered on the limited run just so it would help be an option in the future. I wish it could be, but oh well.

Glad to see the new nomad is up for order, but are the new grab-its available for order too?

Happy NEW Year every one!. Ok I am from S/E Wi with places up north I use a large Alise pack with external frame for summer. ILBE main pac usmc GEN 2 for cold weather. These packs to me are like rifle slings thick for light clothes and thin for heavy clothes. Did not want to get any one all jacked up. I have eight or better packs here. Used for every thing from fishing expos to sporting events. I am looking to set up a once in a life time hunt out west and if a equipment change is needed I have no problem doing it. I also shoot pistols in 6.5 and .223 so changing back to rifle will be a challenge.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?12742-Does-the-Perfect-Pack-Exist

Eyetat – Check out the thread above on here regarding guys that have owned different packs prior to becoming owners of Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Paradox. IMO, it depends on what application you are going to use your pack in, I.E. I noticed that you use your packs for “sporting events and fishing expos”. The packs at Gander Mtn. would be perfect for this application.
If you drive to your hunting location in the morning and drive out that evening, chances are you really don’t need a Kifaru pack, IMO – a day pack and a pack board in the truck would work fine.
However, when you hike/Mt. bike in several miles for a 5 – 10 day hunt, your pack has to serve multiple uses. Not only is it going to haul all of your gear/food/water for multiple days, but it also has to be able to comfortably pack out your meat. Like most of the guys on here, having used those “other” over-the-counter packs to pack out meat and gear, all I can say is “never again”. After hauling out my elk the past two years with a Kifaru pack, it felt like I finally found the Holy Grail in pack comfort.