Nock Right Paper Tear

Kularrow

WKR
4C4E3FEE-614E-42F7-BAB7-6094041BE3B5.jpeg
First three shots, first time ever paper tuning. I have a Hamskea Trinity on a V3 27 29/73 with 28 inch 300 spine arrows. I’m open to wisdom of the elders.

wapitibob

WKR
Set your rest at 13/16, shim the cams to bring the string behind the arrow, which will get you a hole or close enough, then bareshaft tune at 20. When both are hitting the same you have a base to start tuning from, not the point where you stop.
At that point you decide what you are tuning for; do you want fp to hit with bh or do you want the most forgiving setup...

edwal

FNG
I have a VXR with very similar specs. I had great luck with the Top Hat system, super easy to adjust. It's actually very fast to adjust them with a press.

edwal

FNG
I think that's a very realistic goal. I've always started just like you are, paper tune to get me close then broadhead tune. Pretty easy to get them to hit very similar provided the set up is good. Broadheads are quick to show ANYTHING that is wrong ( form, equipment, etc..) I've had great results with Exodus heads and Shuttle Ts.

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

WKR
Set your rest at 13/16, shim the cams to bring the string behind the arrow, which will get you a hole or close enough, then bareshaft tune at 20. When both are hitting the same you have a base to start tuning from, not the point where you stop.
At that point you decide what you are tuning for; do you want fp to hit with bh or do you want the most forgiving setup...
Did you use a Top Hat to shim the cams?

Wheels

WKR
I've got a V3 31 and had similar tear to yours, although the opposite as I am lefty, switched the top hats around and was shooting bullet holes.

CB4

WKR
I have a v3 31 and have an identical tear. currently have the shop switching out the factory strings and going to swap the top hats around. if that fixes it I will update you tomorrow.

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

WKR
I have a v3 31 and have an identical tear. currently have the shop switching out the factory strings and going to swap the top hats around. if that fixes it I will update you tomorrow.
These tears are post string change as well but thank you!

gburk

WKR
I don’t see it mentioned above; If you’re new to archery, double check your form before rearranging your bow. I had to change my grip to minimize a paper tear that coincided with broad heads not grouping with field points. Maybe getting some hand torque. Good luck

DOMMA

FNG
This is not a terrible tear. How far were you standing from the paper? What is your centershot? Depending on centershot, I would try bumping the rest a smidge to the left.

If this does not correct the tear then you have to move the top and bottom cam to the right using Top Hats.

Top hat kits cost ~ $50 from your local Mathews dealer. A kit is going to come with 12 top hats (six sets) that vary in thickness. The thickest one and thinnest one make a pair, so on and so forth. You have to press the bow, remove both CAMS and insert a little spacer that pushes the CAM right. You usually do the same to both CAMS but it requires repeated testing and you might be pressing your bow and removing CAMS multiple times to find the proper CAM movement to get a clean tear through paper. For me, it can take awhile to BS or paper tune a Mathews bow. I'm sure a Mathews dealer could do it much faster.

Last edited:

I wouldn't change top hats if changing the string. Or you can but don't go off of the previous tune. With the vertix and vxr I have seen the tune change with a string/cable change. I suspect the v3 will as well.

Only thing I can figure is the donut on the floating yoke is hard to get back exactly the same.

Reactions: Zac
This is not a terrible tear. How far were you standing from the paper? What is your centershot? Depending on centershot, I would try bumping the rest right.

If this does not correct the tear then you have to move the top and bottom cam to the right using Top Hats.

Top hat kits cost ~ $50 from your local Mathews dealer. A kit is going to come with 12 top hats (six sets) that vary in thickness. The thickest one and thinnest one make a pair, so on and so forth. You have to press the bow, remove both CAMS and insert a little spacer that pushes the CAM right. You usually do the same to both CAMS but it requires repeated testing and you might be pressing your bow and removing CAMS multiple times to find the proper CAM movement to get a clean tear through paper. For me, it can take awhile to BS or paper tune a Mathews bow. I'm sure a Mathews dealer could do it much faster.
You mean bump rest left? His tear is nock right.

Zac

WKR
I'm assuming you don't have a press so you could try messing with your arrow a bit. You have a stiff tear so you could break that shaft down with more point weight. I'd give 125 grain, and possibly 150 grain points a try and see if that helps. I wouldn't drop below 270 fps however. You could also purchase a cheap arrow saw and cut that shift down an 1/8th of an inch until you are getting a perfect hole. I'll link a video.

I'm assuming you don't have a press so you could try messing with your arrow a bit. You have a stiff tear so you could break that shaft down with more point weight. I'd give 125 grain, and possibly 150 grain points a try and see if that helps. I wouldn't drop below 270 fps however. You could also purchase a cheap arrow saw and cut that shift down an 1/8th of an inch until you are getting a perfect hole. I'll link a video.

hopefully he’s not I’m my boat and already had all his arrows cut down and are tearing stiff. So bummed!

I find it hard to believe that those arrows are stiff in that setup.

I think it just needs cams shimmed over. I can go way stuff in my vxr without issues. I mean he posted pictures of his first 3 shots, this ain't something that he can't get figured out, he is just starting.