No BS - Best Bino Harness w/ No Magnet

SloppyJ

WKR
Seems like the option of no magnets really narrows down the choices. I have no way to look at these first hand and have searched and searched here.

I'd rather have a solid bino pouch only than and bunch of shitty, floppy, attachment bags bouncing all over the place. I don't need a rangefinder pouch and ideally would only like one additional side pocket. For a release, muzzleloader stuff, a wind meter..etc depending on the time of year.

I'd prefer it to ride high and not cut into my neck. I'm a former bodybuilder so my neck is pretty large and traps stick up more than most. Want something comfortable and breathable that wont cut into my neck. Low profile would be nice since I do a lot of climbing in trees here at home.

The sentinel from SG looks good but seems very bulky and not a huge fan of the wings since I think it will make it too hot in the early fall and pick up a ton of shit busting through brush. Maybe I'm wrong?

The marsupial no mag seems to be my best option but have heard of them being a bit floppy on the top. That would piss me off.

Haven't been super impressed with anything else I found. What am I missing? AGC stuff seems mixed. FHF opens from the front.. wtf?

I'll be toting around a pair of gen 2 Kilo 10ks if it matters. Seems to be a small in all of the brands I've looked up. I've spent too long looking at freaking bino harnesses and I'm ready to just pick one and roll.

Jmort1754

WKR
I have--
Muley freak Traverse- its an ayyy
AGC - now classic max its also an ayy

I am a big guy 6'5 265 56L jacket so big dude, I just ordered a the new SG harness to try.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
I have--
Muley freak Traverse- its an ayyy
AGC - now classic max its also an ayy

I am a big guy 6'5 265 56L jacket so big dude, I just ordered a the new SG harness to try.
Seems like most of them are like that.

Let me know how you like the SG please.

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve been super impressed with the new SG harness so far. Rides high and stays high. Light, low depth profile compared to my AGC. I’m not sure an extra 4 square inches on either side of the pack will be the difference maker for running hot in early seasons and summer.

Other ones I’ve used are marsupial (only tried it on), KUIU, the previous SG (hated the harness), and AGC (hated the original harness, but love the minimalist harness).

I was also concerned about it the width of the SH harness when I first got it, but as noted above, I’m really impressed and might be giving away my AGC.

The gen 1 SG harness would work well. I’ve used it the last 2 years and only complaint was the harness straps themselves, but they only bothered me when the harness was loaded down with rangefinder and bear spray. Binos only would be perfect.

I don’t think the SG is bulky, I had the gen 1 and it was really sleek… I’m hoping I like the gen 2, because the gen 1 had a lot going for it, but also some downfalls, it looks like the gen 2 fixed what I didn’t like

I have tried about everything, the only 2 that I like are the OV gen 2, but has magnets, and the second gen catamount, it’s what I would choose of all I have tried, but fleece, coast air and NL pures are a bad combo, they all develop a squeak, catamount being minor, vs marsupial that was too loud to use

The OV is a great harness and quiet, but that doesn’t matter because it’s magnetic… I’ve never had issues with magnets, but I understand why many avoid them

I need to order the new stone and really hope I like it enough to quit buying harnesses to try, it has potential to be perfect for me

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I have the original Marsupial No Mag pack and have been really happy with it for the last 2 years. It has the shock cord that you can tighten/replace if you need more tension. I'd recommend it if you can find one.

I also have the newer No Mag rangefinder pocket and it's been really good. But, I haven't put it through any tests or real usage, so YMMV.

ManBun

FNG
I’ve been using the Kuiu bino harness the last 4 years, and still going strong. Been looking at getting a new one (since I have an addiction of always buying new hunting gear) but haven’t found one worth me spending the money from what I have.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been very happy with my catamount gen 2. Rides comfortably, opens away from you, and made in the USA (if that’s important to you). The owner is very responsive and answered my questions within a day.
The stock harness is actually pretty darn comfortable, I’m short for my weight (5’6”) and have the straps shortened as much as possible but it rides up on my chest and isn’t too miserable in the heat.

kramcutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the catamount. No magnents, high and comfortable ride height, most modular pack available…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why no magnets?

If the answer is "throws off the compass" I have personally tested my Marsupial and unless I'm resting my phone on the harness itself, I get no issues with my phone's compass.

Drenalin

WKR
I like the FHF best out of all the ones I’ve tried, but I use a Rick Young harness instead of FHF’s harness. I’ve never had an issue with the direction it opens.

EvanG17

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Muley freak. I know most oppose of the guy and his products. I honestly bought it before I knew of all his wrong doings. With that being said I really do love it. Not sure if I hate to say that but it has treated me well and I feel it’s a great harness.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my AGC.

As for the placement, with about $5 in materials, you can put just about any harness directly onto your pack in a way that it quick releases. I keep my original harness in the truck for when I go "light" without the pack and just the binos. I used to hate the weight on my neck and the shifting of the straps under my pack.

Why no magnets?

If the answer is "throws off the compass" I have personally tested my Marsupial and unless I'm resting my phone on the harness itself, I get no issues with my phone's compass.
I have not had problems with any of my magnetic harnesses with any nav tools, but a lot of people seem to, whether it’s where they carry or hold their nav tools, I don’t know, but that’s why

You or I not having problems doesn’t mean that they don’t exist, and I have used several magnetic harnesses

I have no preference with mag/no mag, but most seem to. Magnets can be loud, especially if you aren’t deliberately trying to quiet them

I have not had problems with any of my magnetic harnesses with any nav tools, but a lot of people seem to, whether it’s where they carry or hold their nav tools, I don’t know, but that’s why

You or I not having problems doesn’t mean that they don’t exist, and I have used several magnetic harnesses

I have no preference with mag/no mag, but most seem to. Magnets can be loud, especially if you aren’t deliberately trying to quiet them
I tried a magnetic harness for the first time this bear season. I had issue with the navigation and magnets. It wasn't a huge deal, just to compass mode on my onx phone app would get turned around. I thought it was just onX but noticed if my phone got too close it would mess the compass up, then the compass would stay messed up until I restarted my device. Then it would be good until I forgot and got my phone a little too close and it would happen again.
That combined with the bulk, weight and loudness of magnets, it's not even close to worth it for me. I swapped back to the original SG harness and it was like night and day. I just got the new SG harness and will be trying it this summer.

Netherman

WKR
I think the magnet thing is more of an issue back east. Tough to terrain associate when all you see is trees. I like a pin on ball compass on mine which is a non-starter with any magnets. Even if I moved away from that I still had issues with onx and my iPhone 12. (Holding my phone away from my body as far as possible is not a solution)

The marsupial seems to be the “end all be all” option for magnetic, as everyone is copying them. It seems like the market is still open for a no-mag harness. From my googling I’ll be giving the SG a try and if I’m not in love send it back and try the Kifaru or marsupial no mag.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
The magnet thing is that marsupial makes a case for the binos I run (Sig Gen 2 Kilo10k) and it's the no-mag style. So I figure if the manufacturer is commissioning a harness with no magnets, then that's probably what I should stick to.

Someone else brought up hunting in the east, I hunt heavily wooded and very thick patches here in the south where service can be spotty at best. I don't really want to convolute that whole process and make it any harder than it has to be too.

The catamount is an option that was not on my radar so thank you for that. I will dig in a bit there.